Houzz Logo Print
bilkha

Help! I need help choosing finish and style of foyer lighting!

bilkha
hace 7 años
I desperately need help choosing a new lighting fixture for our second story foyer! The current finishes I am considering is antique gold or a Matt gold, bronze, and I thought about wrought iron black, but may be too heavy. I like the current style ( of course this is a tacky contractor grade shiny brass YUK!). I also like cylindrical styles or the square?rectangular cage style. Traditional or transitional. My walls are grayed down "gold", red based "oriental rugs "from Pakistan. Our new front door has black wrought iron inlays and a bronze handle/hardware, however the doors in our home has shiny brass fixtures and are staying until we finish our kitchen. The adjacent living room is the same gold color with Matt gold hardware for curtain rods. This is why Im having trouble determining the finish. Im leaning towards Matt gold finish. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! As well as instructions for choosing an appropriate size.

Comentarios (21)

• bilkha
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    I should add that the current dimensions of the current light fixture is approx H: 24-25' overalls approx 18" wide. I think that is a good point of reference , but could probably go a little larger.
  • PRO
    BaBoo
    hace 7 años

Here are a few of our chandeliers that might help you make a decision:

Chandelier - Shade pandent · Más información

Lighting as a Jewelry · Más información

• calidesign
    hace 7 años

I think the matte gold finish is a good idea, and you can go wider and taller than what you currently have. I would also consider painting the interior of your front door, to help it stand out.

Grandfather Homes - Overhill Rd · Más información

• bilkha
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Thank you Baboo lighting! Wow, such stunning light fixtures! I visited your site and your creations are amazing. Unfortunately, they are out of range for my budget. I appreciate you sharing.
  • bilkha
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Thank you Calidesign for your suggestions. I agree with the Matt gold finish. Thant is a beautiful Foyer! I do like your suggestion of painting the front door interior. We just bought the door and spent a pretty penny on it. The exterior is expresso coffee bean and blends well with the red brick. I was afraid to add a color to the interior as our flooring is an orange hardwood and we have an oak banister and thought the colors would clash. All of our trim is a grayed cream color. We are going to replace the flooring to a neutral brown hardwood when we redo our kitchen in the next year and like the idea of changing the banister to black railing and white railing. Then, I think I may contemplate painting the interior door black. Great suggestion!
  • PRO
    Design Views Inc.
    hace 7 años

What do you think of these options?

Ruhlmann Large Chandelier, Polished Nickel · Más información

Crystal Lights Chandelier, Large · Más información

Shooting Star 5 Lights Mini Chandelier - Nickel Plated · Más información

• bilkha
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Thank you for the lighting suggestions! Its difficult to tell what finish they are made of. Also, I hadn't considered a candelabra style because I was going purchase one for my dining room and wanted to do something different. The middle one would seem the most appropriate given my home is colonial and decor is traditional. I love the Ball pendant , but thought it may not fit in with my traditional decor.
  • PRO
    Design Views Inc.
    hace 7 años

I love the 2nd fixture because it is light and airy. I have specified this and it is beautiful. The 3rd option might be a thought if you have a transitional style. If you'd like, take some photos of your furnishings and I can see if this fixture would work as well.

• bilkha
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    I do like the idea of "light and airy"! Something like that would look great in my dining room. I also need to replace all of my flush-mount light fixtures in the hallway s one downstairs foyer and 2 upstairs hallway. I thought the Foyer light would be most logical to start with....one project snowballs into another! I love transitional style , but my furniture definitely is more traditional. I will send you some pics of the adjacent rooms as soon as my hubby is finished working in his office. Probably tomorrow. Thanks for taking the time to give me advice!
  • PRO
    Siegler Design Services + INTERIORS
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

I have some extra time later this week. Write to me and I will pull some specific products for you from my project picture file! Great interiors and would be smart to tie all the fixtures together potentially. I would like a little more information but, pictures are fine for now. Just remember brass in almost any form other POLISHED is back in style. I think "antiquing" your existing brass might be an idea worth exploring if the brass is "real" if not and only a topical coating then time to move on to more timeless old world finishes that will never go out of style. There are too, many to list here but, I can go into more depth later this week. Thanks for posting nice home pictures.

• Mrs. Mills
    hace 7 años
    I love the rugs and your door is beautiful too! Do you have an overall color scheme with the house or feel that you want?

I think with blending traditional (your moulding and door style) with the Vintagey antiqued feel (like your rugs) it calls for a light fixture that would stand out against the light walls, flooring and trim.
    I dont think a darker piece would leave the entry feeling heavy-it is designed airy with all the natural light.
    Some ideas:
    Look into a morrocan style hanging fixture or a large caged ball style light for something different

Or I would say a traditional darker chandalier.

I hear you on price! I am sure you can find a good medium of finding the right size for your space and something affordable

Another idea-spray paint the metal of your old one and see what you think.
  • PRO
    Galilee Lighting
    hace 7 años

You have a high ceiling and it will look great with a long multi pendant chandelier.

In Galilee lighting we make unique lighting made of hand blown glass in beautiful styles. We invite you to visit our website to view our unique lighting collections.

If you would like to receive our catalog by email and get more ideas, contact Sales@GalileeLighting.com or visit www.GalileeLighting.com

We offer free design consultation, to design the perfect size of chandelier for your space.

White candles chandelier - by Galilee Lighting - Two story living room chandelie · Más información

EXTRA LONG CUSTOM PENDANT LIGHTING FOR HIGH CEILING, CANDLES by GALILEE LIGHTING · Más información

CONTEMPORARY BLOWN GLASS GLOBE PENDANT LIGHTING | TWO STORY CHANDELIER by GALILE · Más información

GLAM CHANDELIER, GLOW PENDANT by GALILEE LIGHTING · Más información

• bilkha
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Wow! Thanks for sharing Galileo lighting....Stunning lighting fixtures! A true work of Art, but Im not sure they would work in my traditional space. I love things that are different, but they may be over the top for my home. They are so beautiful though...maybe in my dream home!:)
  • bilkha
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Thanks Seigler Design! I am leaning toward a gold tone lighting fixture and not oppose to new tones of brass , given my home is an open plan and the adjacent living room and dining room both have gold curtain rods and silk curtains in a subdued gold tone(it was supposed to be linen in color, but definitely reads gold). I am a little overwhelmed as I do see the importance of tying in the Foyer and Dining room lighting, at least in material/finish. I will post some pics. I do plan on renovating the kitchen and hardwood floors within the next year or so...just dreading it! Keep in mind the orange hardwood floors will go!
  • bilkha
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Mrs. Mills, thanks for your response! I understand where you are coming from and considered a darker finish and think it old look great, but as I just mentioned above, Im afraid to mix too many metals with my open Foyer. The current fixture is a cheap contractor light and is malfunctioning, so it is not an option to paint it. However, I wouldn't mind a similar style with a little more character.
  • bilkha
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Here are the Photos I promised! I just had to clean up a bit!:)
  • bilkha
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    All of the photos did not go through! The living room is on one side of the entry door and is open to the dining room. The den is on the other side of the entry way door.
  • PRO
    hace 7 años

Brenda thanks for following me and here are my key thoughts for you on your entry and dining room lighting and related "design".

• bilkha
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Wow! Thank you Seigler design! You have given me quite a bit to digest. I really like your ideas! I think I have been getting wrapped up in old decorating rules, such as not mixing metals. I hadn't considered wrought iron as I didn't think it was formal enough or traditional. However, the wrought iron idea is growing on me. I do like things that are eclectic as well and can get overwhelmed because I do like so many things. I can array the wrought iron into the kitchen as well. You chose the color black to match the door( you did mention the color can be modified, but Im assuming this is you color preference...I have 3 flush mounts , one in the hallway downstairs and 2 upstairs. That said , would it be too much to choose flushmounts in the same black wrought iron material or would a more subdued color work better? I do like the Chanda's you chose as well for the Dining room, my mirror above the sideboard is a Maitland Smith, made of silver and gold and thought your made interesting choices and never would have thought to use what appears to be a painted white? I do like the idea of using something unexpected instead of overdosing on gold. Loved you idea about the banister as well. The front door was just recently installed Provia door in Mahogany stained a coffee bean color on the outside, I didnt want to carry that color inside due to clashing of different color woods...Thanks again so much and will post a review for you as well!
  • PRO
    hace 7 años

Perfect! Your analysis is pretty good. We mix and match finishes a lot more these days which is more interesting in the long run but, can be kind of easy to get side tracked or loose the aesthetic focus. If you try to keep a mantra in mind as you go it will help. Filter all your decisions through your mantra like, Is this fixture really "simplified classic" etc.... I do think your taste is pretty "timeless classic" and I want to give you some pointers on furniture with your sofa but, I don't want to jump ahead to an area you are not ready to focus on.

Please write again and show me items you are considering as I do not want to be taken too. literally. I prefer to rely on showing you a "visual" of what I mean and not rely so much on the written or spoken word. It is more creative and artistic this way too. For example I said black but, once you look at more upscale furnishings and fixtures, black comes a lot of ways. Black can be "off black, brown black, almost black etc.... Now to contradict myself I will back up and say if you make a decision to bring in an "iron look" at the staircase then I WOULD REPEAT this element again in other architectural features like light fixtures and window treatments. I think you should just decide room to room because, you have items already and the rooms look and feel pretty good....they just require some "finesse and artistry" to get them a little more refined and finished. I love this project and I'm not always drawn to traditional but, your pieces, home and taste are pretty "timeless" so, I really like that when some present day living and ambiance can be brought in. Like I said I'm much better with imagery and visuals and more frustrated by word descriptions so, if you wish to forward and share pictures or questions I'm happy to assist. You will see from past postings with other members that once I take on your project per your request, I will do all I can to not leave you hanging on design issues. Big thanks! I enjoyed sharing. Naomi Siegler

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.