Houzz Logo Print
anajaz

Great Room - Nook dilemma

anajaz
hace 7 años

We have a nook that measures 30'' x 72" next to the stone fireplace in our family room. We have been stumped by what to use it for ever since moving in years ago. Other than log storage which I'd prefer to stay away from, are there any ideas that could make that awkward nook seem planned and maybe even awesome?! Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Comentarios (14)

• teamaltese
    hace 7 años
    Can you angle the TV hutch there? So the fireplace doesn't look crowded? Otherwise, ignore it. If you have the money, built in there might work. But I'd just angle the hutch, and ignore the niche.
    anajaz agradeció a teamaltese
  • PRO
    Logistics, inc
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Maybe have an extended TV arm come out from that nook that allows for the TV to sway up down left right etc. Then bellow the TV arm build custom shelving like this.

anajaz agradeció a Logistics, inc
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 7 años

You need to find a new location for the TV. It's not attractive in that pine cabinet marring the beauty of your stone wall.

As for the nice, you can have the appearance of storing wood without the mess. Here is a faux wood panel that can be placed over the opening of the niche.

anajaz agradeció a BeverlyFLADeziner
  • bobbiebaxter60
    hace 7 años

A tall slender plant in a large planter, a beautiful floor lamp, floor to ceiling built-in shelving, or extend the stone wall all the way over.

anajaz agradeció a bobbiebaxter60
  • PRO
    User
    hace 7 años

You may be looking for a more creative solution than this but I would put a tall indoor tree in front of it.

It feels too small to me to make into a believable shelving unit.

anajaz agradeció a User
  • PRO
    Betty Wasserman Art & Interiors
    hace 7 años

An arc lamp, or piece of art might work well in the nook. Here are two images of our designs to aid you.

Chelsea Loft · Más información

MacDougal Manor · Más información

anajaz agradeció a Betty Wasserman Art & Interiors
  • hatetoshop
    hace 7 años

You could build in a shelf/seat (see pic). Agree the cabinet isn't doing the space any favours.

Modern Mediterranean · Más información

anajaz agradeció a hatetoshop
  • PRO
    Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
    hace 7 años

Hello, I was just passing by and your discussion caught my eye! By the look of it, the fire place wall makes a beautiful, architectural statement. It also looks a little uncomfortable thanks to the niche, the arched opening on the other side, and the off-center placement of the hearth. If you remove the TV cabinet and think of the wall as an entire composition it might be easier to visualize....instead of a plant, you could mount a flat screen on an extendable arm. The TV screen will be roughly level with the fire place opening (26" off the floor to center of screen). Then by putting two shelves in the lower portion of that niche, you can place the video equipment on one shelf and one interesting object on the other. Could be a basket. Now to finish the group, add something on the floor beside the hearth. Could be an upholstered footstool in rustic style, a stack of birchwood in a cradle, or even a dark plant in a container.

anajaz agradeció a Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
  • anajaz
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thank you so much for your suggestion. Jeffery Brooks Interior Design. I really like your idea. The armoire that houses our tv currently is usually angled in front of the niche- blocking it but still obviously showing that there's space behind it. ( Drives me crazy). We moved the armoire to better show the niche (for the pictures I submitted) but it's currently right back in front of the niche. It's the best place to put the tv in terms of our seating arrangement. Having it on a bracket like you ( and a previous commenter suggested) would keep it in that area where it's best suited for viewing. Adding the shelves to house the equipment would allow me to eliminate the dated armoire. Thanks again! Your very discriptive response allowed me to imagine how it might look. I appreciate you taking the time to share your idea!

• PRO
    hace 7 años

My pleasure! Note; when the TV and shelves are in place they should occupy the vertical space at a point lower than your stone shelf/mantle. In regard to your mirror, I see it as too small for that location. If you're interested in an alternative approach, cut a piece of cardboard to roughly the width of the round, but, a taller (36" - 42") high rectangle. An antiqued mirror in a blackened steel frame. This will bring in the back iron already in the room. To finish, replace the tiny lanterns with something taller which brings some color to the wall. Two 12" pear-shaped earthenware vases, two clear glass vases also curvy with artificial florals like bamboo shoots, sunflowers, or succulents.

Modern Forms Marimba LED Chandelier, Silver Leaf, 18" · Más información

• PRO
    hace 7 años

Psssssst................the picture above is a mistake but can't delete just now......this has been a public service announcement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• anajaz
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thank you for the additional tips! You've been amazingly helpful. :)

• PRO
    hace 7 años

No problem (.................just write me a review!!!............) :)

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.