Houzz Logo Print
joyful_lady

drainage and watering

joyful_lady
hace 11 años
I am planning to have some raised planters on the porch and also some wall planters on upstairs balconies. I travel frequently and would really love to set up a watering system when the home is built that will ensure they are watered and also drainage so the water won't damage the house / patio. Any suggestions on ways to manage this? Thanks!
Portland Mid-Century Modern · Más información

Comentarios (5)

• skywalker86
    hace 11 años
    An idea for easy watering is to set up a system so that any rainwater from the roof is directed to the planter. To answer your question about protecting the porch and/balcony. There are a few membranes and waterproofing applications which can be used within the construction of the planter. This allows any moisture or dampness to go into the ground and not into the wood. Wood treatments are also important. Hope this helps.
  • PRO
    JP Mullowney Photography
    hace 9 años
    Are you able to be more specific on the membrane or wood treatment? Building similar planters and have no experience with it. Thanks.
  • pcride
    hace 9 años
    Doing one of these myself. I used Grace snow and ice shield roofing mbrane then 14" of 1" gravel on the bottom wrapped in filter fabric, then soil over that. Also put a French drain down the center and slopes to one end just incase too much water.
  • pcride
    hace 9 años
    Use treated lumber
  • pcride
    hace 6 años
    I thought I'd post back a couple years later and give an update. The large raises planter is holding up with no issue, most of the rock garden landscaping is done. We love it!! The tomatoes are growing well but will clean up nice when the harvest is over.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.