Houzz Logo Print
juneega

Should we paint the pergola white?

Junee Bug
hace 7 años
My husband is not too happy with the color of the pergola-- he wants to paint it white, he says it stands out too much from the house, while I want to keep stained color so it is more rustic -- the front porch and planter is made of ipe and will just oiled to a darker red brown color. Should we wait on it and see if the color gets better after we oil the ipe? I have a feeling the stain will wear out later and it won't be too dark. I'm also suggesting pairing it a dark gray same color my front door -- what do you guys think?

Comentarios (14)

• auntthelma
    hace 7 años

It doesn't really go with the rest of the house. Will the wood weather to gray?

I'd choose a gray wash rather than a white paint. Then he gets his 'less contrast' and you get your 'weathered look.'

• Kelly Dowling
    hace 7 años

I was also going to suggest a white wash. Minwax has a great selection of wood stains in some great colours. I'd hate to see such a beautiful wood structure painted. I think a subtle stain would really enhance the pergola. Best of luck!

http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/stains/minwax-water-based-wood-stain

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    hace 7 años

What about painting the door a reddish brown instead? That will tie in the two woods and give your door more presence into the bargain.

• Junee Bug
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    We just painted that door the dark gray :(. We have a brown garage door if that helps? Also I'm going to post a pic with the pavers being done in sandstone and mocha too.
  • PRO
    Logistics, inc
    hace 7 años

After you stained it did you apply polyurethane coat as well? Or did your stain have the combined poly stain in one? If you want stain to last longer add multiple coats of poly. It adds gloss to the wood and a resistance to the elements. Its not permanent of coarse but it should last a lot longer than just stain its alone.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    hace 7 años

Even though you just painted the door (it does look pretty, however it definitely blends in), it is a heck of a lot easier to paint a door to match the pergola than painting the pergola to match the door.

And if the garage is going to contrast with the siding, shouldn't it at least match the front door?

• PRO
    Logistics, inc
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Questions for yah Junee G. Are you planning on using the flower boxes on the edge of the pergola? If so, great! I would JUST Paint those white. As long as your keeping up with the care of the woods surface the pergola's and flower boxes should have 10 plus years of life. I'd say meet half way with the husband and paint the Flower boxes an Exterior White paint That is if you plan on keeping them. Below is a couple examples of what your pergola could look like.

If you don't want to keep them I would take out the flower boxes and be sure to not damage the pergola's support columns. Then add a molding to the Columns to give depth and appeal. The molding is very simple. Use a miter Saw to cut a perfect angle on the edges and screw the molding boards on the bottom with Exterior rust free screws. Be sure to use construction grade caulking around the top edges where the molding meets the columns to protect them from water get behind it. Once the flower boxes are gone it will open up the space and you wont get an overdone wooden look that seems to be the problem. lemme know if any of this helps. I've built a few pergolas and this spring have a few more to build for clients. I'm not offering my services because I only do this one the side part time but I'm simply offering some friendly advice.

The Secret Garden (Oakville, ON) · Más información

An Entertainers Kitchen · Más información

• PRO
    Logistics, inc
    hace 7 años

Oh, just found this picture online. Its a very close image to your Pergola and what it would look like white without the flower boxes. Just to put it in perspective.

Outdoor living spaces · Más información

• PRO
    Joni Koenig Interiors
    hace 7 años

Yes white!

• suzyq53
    hace 7 años

Putting paint on exterior wood decks and covers is a bad idea. That's the reason you use Ipe. Otherwise ongoing maintenance with rot and the paint. Hopefully the pergola is treated wood. You could sand down and restain to go with the ipe once it ages.

• Junee Bug
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Definitely keeping the planters because it just got installed last week. I cannot paint it white because it is made of Ipe and cost a fortune to not let it shine, it is also same color as the decking. We are just thinking of pergola itself. The planters will be oiled -- once it's done it will look like the same color I have in my deck in my backyard, putting a pic up to give you an idea. Also attaching of the Houzz pic where my hubs got the idea of painting the pergola white.
  • suzyq53
    hace 7 años

I like that inspiration picture, but noticed they didn't paint the pergola the trim color, they used siding color there.

• Junee Bug
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Ok... pavers almost done. Here's a photo taken from sidewalk so I can include my garage door. Same gray tone we want to paint the pergola with...unless white is still a better option?
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.