Houzz Logo Print
secured_path

How do you add-on to a tower?

Secured Path
hace 7 años
3 story tower home, each floor is about 16x16, bottom floor is a walkout basement. was a weekend place for two and now it's a full-time home for 3! Need to add on, want to add two bedrooms, one bath and a large kitchen at a minimum. Any ideas? Want to stay in similar style and not ruin the tower feel....

Comentarios (14)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 7 años

You will need an architect

• PRO
    User
    hace 7 años

The only real option I see is to make your walkout basement your main floor, and make the new entrance in the expansion. You could also sell this and buy something that fits you now.

• auntthelma
    hace 7 años

Keep the add on to the ground floor so the original home stays intact.

• acm
    hace 7 años

Or have a little wooden bridge at the second floor level and add a second building, which would maybe have just bedrooms. Would keep the feel and let you do more in a second smaller tower.

• apple_pie_order
    hace 7 años

You have 750 square feet. A 2 bedroom, one bath, large kitchen addition could be 400-500 square feet. Take some time to learn google sketchup. Then talk to an architect or design-build firm. Make sure you hire someone who works most of the time in your budget range, not someone who is going to decide this tower house is a sky's the limit project. Unless, of course, the sky is the limit.

The least expensive way to add on is to do so at ground level, which may be up at the second floor height toward the back where the hill rises. Your ideabook already shows lots of ideas along those lines.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    hace 7 años

This is amazing. I am commenting just to get notifications on updates.

• PRO
    Logistics, inc
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Wow that home is fantastic! It appears to be self sufficient as well. Would it make sense to attempt to erect another tower next to it and have a balcony connecting them? It may costs a bit but with the desired rooms your creating you may have to make another building. 2 bedrooms, 1 bath and one kitchen right? What are you estimating for costs and additional square feet added?

• Kyle Barrett
    hace 7 años
    Absolutely love your tibetan prayer flags! What a fantastic home.
  • Secured Path
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    I have run through so many options, talked to my builder, even worked with architect for a bit but it made me realize I am not going to be content until I find the right designer type who can present some ideas on how to incorporate the existing space (renovation) into the flow of an addition. I appreciate all the comments so far. For your info, it is completely off grid - so in addition to being on sloped land and being a tower, we will also have deal with expanding/redesigning placement of rainwater catchment and storage, septic etc..
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    hace 6 años

Nice work :)

• Tootsie
    hace 6 años
    But now you have gutter issues....
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    hace 6 años

Yes, what happened there ??

• oliviag55
    hace 6 años
    still off grid? do you harvest rainwater from the new roof?
    congratulations on your solutions. best wishes.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.