Houzz Logo Print
m_kryger

How do I beautify an ugly fence?

Monika Kryger
hace 7 años
última modificación:hace 5 años

Hi all. Happy New Year!

This is the front of my house and I am looking for ideas to beautify this hideous fence. In addition to fairy lights! :)

Some provisos!

I do not want anything planted in the ground. I have artificial lawn and no desire for retic.

I also do not want to block the view (I have a park in front).

One option I have come up with is a couple of these pots filled with neat (I’m a virgo and like clean lines!) plants. I’ll obviously need a watering can!

Another option could be to grow something across the top?

Or just more fairy lights?

What does everyone think?

Many thanks in advance!

Comentarios (51)

• Monika Kryger
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    I'm not sure I can. All the houses in the development have the same fence... If it is permitted, I'd sooner remove the whole thing, but that's a more expensive project for down the track...!
  • JE C
    hace 7 años
    I agree with last suggestion ...If it is possible, it would look quite nice with a flat top at the level of the end post where the 3 is and painted the same colour as the roof.
    Monika Kryger agradeció a JE C
  • oklouise
    hace 7 años

if the fence can't be changed then attach some wire along the top to create a straight line and grow a climber planted in the big pots...your local nursey should be able to recommend suitable plants but a potato vine should give relatively quick results while you wait for a neater, slower growing plant to establish.

Monika Kryger agradeció a oklouise
  • User
    hace 7 años

The curved fence would look perfect on a curved house. Agree with above, straighten it out somehow. Is it timber or iron?

Monika Kryger agradeció a User
  • Monika Kryger
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Haha! It's a coastal suburb so I think they meant well but it looks SO tacky and cheap. It's some kind of metal... At some stage I will look into whether it can be removed/replaced but that's not a project for now. Am just trying to hide/disguise it. If I managed to grow something pretty along the top of it the wave might not look quite so bad...

• cloudpants
    hace 7 años
    Bahaha - look at this image I found whilst trying to Google solutions for you....
  • Monika Kryger
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Oh good heavens... I suppose the plus side of that photo is I don't feel so bad about my fence anymore...! hahahaha

• Monika Kryger
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Great idea about the colour philippawright, thank you.

• Sammy Elder
    hace 7 años

Yep, spray paint it black and you'll barely notice it. It will appear to recede into the background and the framing around your portico will become the dominant feature.

Monika Kryger agradeció a Sammy Elder
  • PRO
    Paul Pritchard Landscapes
    hace 7 años
    Boston Ivy!!
    Monika Kryger agradeció a Paul Pritchard Landscapes
  • annb1997
    hace 7 años

Good suggestions! Are you wanting to disguise it as if you were viewing it from the street? OR, from your view of it if you are standing in front the house?

Monika Kryger agradeció a annb1997
  • Monika Kryger
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

I just googled Boston ivy Paul, stunning!

Good question annb! Disguise it viewing it from the street!

• annb1997
    hace 7 años

Is that a footpath running along and in front of the fence? I do like the idea of growing something that will at least partially disguise it, but since you don't wish to plant anything in the ground, would you plant something in slender pots like the ones you posted? May I ask what your neighbours have done with their fences?

Monika Kryger agradeció a annb1997
  • Monika Kryger
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

It is a footpath, yes. Can you believe, no one has done anything! There are a lot of fairy lights around, which I suspect might stay on after Christmas, but possibly everyone has accepted their fate. Most of the houses with these fences are narrow lots/cheaper so possibly a budget issue, as the bigger houses with these fences opted out and got their own fence installed. I think the slender pots are the way to go, alternatively one pot in the far left corner with a climber that I can lead across the top of the fence. It could get out of control though!

• John Henson
    hace 7 años
    By the look of the plants, I guess you are in WA. After painting it monument you could try Happy Wanderer. It will bunch up along the top in time and look quite cool.
    Monika Kryger agradeció a John Henson
  • Julie Herbert
    hace 7 años
    I quite like your fence, it's a bit unique , a bit more interesting than the standard fences , I would use your narrow pots and plant mother in laws tongue (sansivera) to give it that really modern edge, they are really tough and look stunning and edgy planted en masse in pots, either side of your entrance would be dramatic.
    Monika Kryger agradeció a Julie Herbert
  • Monika Kryger
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Ooh that would look stunning, thank you John! Yes I am indeed in WA haha :)

Thank you Julie, I had also thought of something similar to sansivera, neat and yes edgy as you say.

Thank you everyone for the wonderful ideas. I have made an enquiry with the developer as to whether I can spray the fence. Might take some time to grow something and post update photos! :)

• wuff
    hace 7 años
    I agree with others re painting dark colour..eg monument and and having the waves removed (what were they thinking!) it is amazing how the dark colours recede
    Monika Kryger agradeció a wuff
  • ladyrob1
    hace 7 años

What about ornamental clumping black bamboo in those pots you like and maybe a few clumps planted along the fenceline to continue the look of coastal/tropical? It doesn't have to be thickly spaced....but then you might like it. I've used bamboo to disguise and to soften my fence made with rocks. When it grows the soft frondy tops would disguise the 'wavy' top of the fence and the "stems" would disguise and blend in with the fence uprights....specially if you painted the fence dark charcoal or black...or even a dark olivy green...just a random thought...make the fence disappear and become indistinguishable from the bamboo.

• avalonbeach
    hace 7 años

How about a timber frame around the fence and clad it with Nature Reed.

Monika Kryger agradeció a avalonbeach
  • ladyrob1
    hace 7 años

To avalonbeach.....I can see that in my mind's eye.... but wondering if the developer that Monika mentions would approve since that would almost be a remodel of the fence rather than a decoration of the existing fence and it may not be permitted. I have a nature reed section of fence that is adorned with ivy and flowering creepers with man-sized granite rocks positioned all along the length, It looks lovely...but nobody to veto anything I do. Monika has a bit of a problem I think trying to come up with an idea that does not detract from the uniformity of the development but yet satisfies her need for something perhaps softer and more to her liking. Good Luck Monika! Let us know what you decide to do. Its a curly one.

• lizzey49
    hace 7 años
    Following are pictures of the converted garage in my daughter and son in laws newly purchased house. It's a great playroom for all ages, with garden views. The joinery and (industrial strength) carpet are all in perfect order and of good quality. They don't want to make any fundamental changes to the style of the room. However, any suggestions as to how to tweak it, to give it a more edgy look, would be appreciated. The bench on the bar needs upgrading. Repaint the plaster? Add in colors?
    Or just leave the whole thing as it is?
  • LesleyH
    hace 7 años
    Best check the developer's plan first before making any decisions and getting excited with potential changes. These would be disclosed with your contract.
  • annb1997
    hace 7 años

Lizzey49, I think you might be posting on a different Dilemna.

• avalonbeach
    hace 7 años

No! It is the ugly fence. Really the simplest way is to bight the bullet and plant a hedge! Virgo or not it all improves the environment! As a Horticulturalist that is what I recommend.

• avalonbeach
    hace 7 años

Oops apologies for the typo - it should be "bite".

• johnnya88
    hace 7 años

Painting the fence black will significantly reduce the stark cotrast. Or you could paint the top black leaving a rectangular section in line with the grey post for example.

• gwyn5
    hace 7 años

Paint the whole thing dark grey and forget it. No plants. They require watering, they die, they look scraggley and draw attention to interesting fence.

• Tilly
    hace 7 años
    Nice large pots planted symmetrically at the peak of the curves with something like the hibiscus, if you go for standardised and underplant with something like the seaside daisy - both should tolerate WA coastal

The native hibiscus is an Australian native plant which has a beautiful mauve purple hibiscus-like flower and forms a medium sized shrub.

This plant will tolerate full or partial sunlight.
    Light frost tolerance.
    Plant is salt tolerant.
    Bird attracting and hardy .
  • juliamac19
    hace 7 años

Monica, why is it you don't want to plant in the ground itself? I understand you don't want a watering system but no reason you can't water by hose surely? I believe you would get a better effect and have healthier plants- and i'd stick to natives to meld with the plantings on the other side of the path. The planters you showed seem a little too small for some of the suggestions - and be wary of climbers like some jasmines (try Chinese star jasmine instead which is easily controlled and maintains cover from the ground up)or hardenbergia which have a tendency to run up and clump at the top, then you just have a rotten forest of dry brown stalks. You will have to keep them clipped relentlessly to manage them. Meuhlenbekia is another needs hard clipping. What about some tall grasses like Stipa Gigantea? You could also check out on line Diggers Garden Club (in Melbourne but they ship anywhere). Clive Blazey has written a book called 'No Excuse for Ugliness' which is a great resource about planting and good tips for the Australian climate.

I agree with the ideas to repaint the fence. We have always sprayed our boundary fences with Dulux Kelp double strength which is a deep greeny black, immediately fades into the background.

• Laura
    hace 7 años
    How close are they to finishing the development? I was one of the last to move into a development and a few years down the track people seem to have forgotten the covenants. The developers don't care they've moved on to the next one
  • Barbara Dunstan
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Haven't read all the comments but having browsed just a few, my suggestion might not be feasable if the place isn't yours?

I think the fence just may need to have the horrible up and down shape cut to a straight line and perhaps painted and it would end up looking far more modern and match the lovely house more!

As for plants, probably no need unless you really want to but if like me being a virgo, you like neat, tidy and no fuss or extra work, then I'd leave it be.

Just my opinion of course.

Good luck.

• knackers_p_t
    hace 7 años
    what about spraying it a natural timber colour? It will fit in with a coastal look, and insread of hiding it, make it a feature. you could still add some greenery to really makebit 'pop'.
    Monika Kryger agradeció a knackers_p_t
  • Deborah Wreford
    hace 7 años

Don't plant if you don't want too Monika. Water is expensive in WA. You could try painting the fence dark to start with and see if that satisfies your Virgo neat freak! If not, then large high pots with a running line across the top of the fence. Pots: largest pots possible will maximise the water you can get in there at one time, and minimise the surface area heat damage to which the roots will be exposed. Glazed pots are very heavy but they last longer. Plastic will fade in full sun and disintegrate in the heat faster-about 3-5 years depending on orientation. Plants: in my experience, 'full sun' in WA is not the same as 'full sun' online or in eastern states forums/pages. The belting sea 'breeze' may also have an impact on plant choice. Pleeease ask your local nursery person for advice so you don't waste your hard earned : )

Monika Kryger agradeció a Deborah Wreford
  • PRO
    archimondo
    hace 7 años

G'day Monika Kryger

You could put timber slats in the gaps between the palisading and vary the height to suit the view or create a shape (quick suggestion shown).

The colour could be plain or artistic or just oiled timber.

Good Luck

Monika Kryger agradeció a archimondo
  • hooleydooley
    hace 7 años

Hi Monika

I think your fence is ok, even fine. It's just what the designers thought would appeal to that market and they had peanuts left for a budget. I think the wavy line of the fence was intended to soften the rigidity of the house lines and it links the house to the soft shapes in the foreground.

First option: If I was wading in money, I would break up the line with a similar metal material that disguises the dips in the waves. I would use a half moon of rays or spokes (upside down). A metal fabricator would make this.

Second option: Cap the poles with lengths of metal rod to fill the gaps evenly. This will provide a pattern which is unavoidable unless you can locate the exact thickness of the rod and have it welded on. Probably would show up tho. I'd use a pipe that slips over the fence pole and can be welded at the top.

Third option: cut the poles level and paint the fence RED. It will be in keeping with the blocky Lego design of the house, it's a good luck colour and well, more interesting.

But if you did nothing, its still ok from a objective point of view.

Cheers HD

• hooleydooley
    hace 7 años

I just saw Archimondo's pic - nice

• Mary Allison
    hace 7 años

I really don't think this fence is as ugly as you think. It is in good condition. It provides a boundary to your property and it allows you a view from inside your property to the park outside and beyond. However, from the previous tips, I like the idea of the sanseveria in tall pots. If the idea is though to improve the look of the house from the street, you would need to put the pots on the outside of your property and then there is every chance that they will be stolen.

• Mary Allison
    hace 7 años

Also....if you paint your fence black, it will "disappear". This is a well known trick for pool fences. This might work for you.

Monika Kryger agradeció a Mary Allison
  • Monika Kryger
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Wow guys thank you so much for so many wonderful ideas! Definitely a lot of food for thought. I will look into all ideas in a bit more detail during the week and hopefully will also have heard back from the developer then (there are still houses being built in the area so possibly too soon to "not care" about the developer!) :) So grateful for everyone's thoughts and contributions!!
  • F B
    hace 7 años

I suggest you paint it dark colour then pots of star jasmine and run wire in careful crisscross pattern for it to grow on. It's easy to control. Keep it trimmed into shape and hose water the pots

Monika Kryger agradeció a F B
  • Ronnie Meade
    hace 7 años

I have one of those Monika and I would venture to say that you wouldn't be able to cut it flat because with everything around everywhere having the waved top it would look really odd I think, and I doubt whether you would be able to paint it at least until the development is well over or you could find the developers all over you, along with residents who like yourselves have signed to agree to the covenants. A lot of people enter into these developments because there is a better chance of people looking after their properties however I will say that I am the only owner occupied in my part of the street, and I am forever weeding everyone else's garden, picking up the rubbish blown from the sea breeze on new builders not looking after their rubbish and the renters chucking empty beer bottles where they have sat on the steps drinking and throw the bottles into the garden and I actually water the rental alongside me as our gardens join, as yours probably does, and they refuse to water it. I want my place to look nice and if left to these renters it would look like homeless shelters. I think the tall pots and something like the black bamboo could look really good :)

Monika Kryger agradeció a Ronnie Meade
  • Monika Kryger
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Yes I have a feeling you're right about having to wait until the development is well over. Luckily in my row of 6 or 7 houses there is currently only one renter! And only one out of control front garden (the non renter, coincidentally, and far enough away from me). Having said that, we all only moved in about a year ago so plenty of time to go downhill! I think spray painting the fence monument would actually make it look a whole lot better however if I can't, pot plants it will be :)

• Ronnie Meade
    hace 7 años

I've been there 18 months so I don't know if you can or can't but I would check before you do, also with neighbours as 'someone will complain' and start a petition if you don't. I am down on the borderline of crossing into the oceanside section and the last house built in the street so the sea 'gale' sends me every tumble weed and bit of rubbish, hopefully it won't take too long to complete that section. My rentering neighbours are in their early 20's if that so their priorities are different to mine. so there is nothing wrong with them as people I just like neatness and want it to look nice. the fence is some kind of steel and very sharp I have stubbed my foot on the thing that holds it into the ground several times because I have steps leading up and there is probably about 10 of these things around the edge of the fencing and I have found every one! I like the area though but takes me 50 minutes to get to work, 'gives me plenty of time to get worked up before I get there' lol.

Ronnie

• LesleyH
    hace 7 años
    Sound like you may be back to grow something across the top.
  • brixnmorta
    hace 7 años

Hi Monika do you like the look of this? It'll be an instant makeover and you can relocate it to a side or back fence if u are told to remove it.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/garden-trend-3-x-1-8m-natural-brushwood-fence-screening_p3047528

Monika Kryger agradeció a brixnmorta
  • avalonbeach
    hace 7 años

If you did go down this path, Nature reed is a much more professional finish.

• E P
    hace 5 años
    Hi
    Paint the fence black (or another really dark colour like the frames on your house)- it will ‘blend into the background’ so to speak. Your view to the park will seem even less interrupted than before!
    Your planters I think are a great idea. The colour will work well with dark fence and either idea for the plants themselves will work. I lean towards pops of formal(lined) plants because of the structure of the fence and the ease of keeping it looking tidy.
    All the best.
    Monika Kryger agradeció a E P
  • robandlyn
    hace 5 años

Old post

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.