Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_13658139

Where to put a Shademaster tree?

User
hace 7 años

Hello,

We have been renovating our backyard - still need new back fence, plants and painting the pool cover shed, among other things. But we want to plant a Shademaster tree and are not sure just where to put it. Your feedback would be most welcome.

Comentarios (19)

• oklouise
    hace 7 años

i'd like a small (max 4m?) tree on the corner near the table and chairs to make the sitting area more private from neighbours (allowing plenty of room for the tree to achieve it's full height and width and underplanted with suitable groundcovers along the edges of the patio) ..some large shrubs (pittosporums? along the fences could also add to the privacy and cool down the concrete retaining walls

User agradeció a oklouise
  • KK1000
    hace 7 años
    Shademaster is a large deciduous tree, I would not plant it in the backyard with a swimming pool, you should look at evergreen ash or something similar maybe some palms and something tropical depends where you live.
    User agradeció a KK1000
  • bigreader
    hace 7 años
    Corymbia hybrid ‘Summer Beauty’ Flowering Gum

This is from the Gardening with Angus site and is a very pretty tree.
    User agradeció a bigreader
  • brixnmorta
    hace 7 años

Hi Alchemy

Good tips frm Mel. But if you plant that or another tree furthest from the pool, check out the roots invasive nature as you have retaining walls.

I didn't know what a Shademaster was, so if you choose not to have that size or non decidious one, browse thru this nifty site I stumbled upon. Everyone reading this should bookmark it.

https://www.specialitytrees.com.au/finder

User agradeció a brixnmorta
  • Julie Herbert
    hace 7 años
    Check out Flemmings website, their range of trees both evergreen and decidious are magnificent, also they will give expert advice for your situation.
    User agradeció a Julie Herbert
  • PRO
    Paul Pritchard Landscapes
    hace 7 años
    Deciduous all the way! They drop once a year for 3 to 4 weeks as opposed to 52 weeks of the year if evergreen!!
    Get a couple of 6m+ trees. Don't be frightened!!
    User agradeció a Paul Pritchard Landscapes
  • KK1000
    hace 7 años

Plant deciduous if you have masochistic tendency. Not near the pool.

User agradeció a KK1000
  • Laura
    hace 7 años
    I second Paul. My pool growing up was next to a gumtree and I spent more time cleaning it than swimming
    User agradeció a Laura
  • Barbara Dunstan
    hace 7 años

@ alchemy,

I can see you've put allot of effort into your beautiful yard and pool and whist I agree that you will probably regret a deciduous tree, irrespective of it losing most of its leaves in a short period, it would be allot of work clearing that debris from your pool but I agree that you need to complete your yard with greenery.

I think the ficafolia suggested by bigreader could look stunning but I have one in my yard (no pool) and the gumnuts this little tree of mine drops must be seen to be believed albeit they dont blow.

A palm of course is one of the best trees due to its lack of debris and the tropical look it provides is always a winner, however, getting one fairly established would be the way as they don't grow super fast but the expense of such a tree could be quite prohibitive.

I would seriously listen to advice offered by people with an outdoor pool as experience is the best teacher, so you must decide just how much work you want to give yourself over and above the normal workload simply having an outdoor pool and I'd strongly consider the suggestion Mel N offered of putting up a sun shade or sail initially and see how that works for you.

Best of luck.

Cheers,

Barbara

• Julie Herbert
    hace 7 años

I have decidious and evergreen in my garden, as Paul said evergreen you are cleaning up daily where as decidious only once a year, look at pyrus'chanticleer' ornamental pear, fabulous tree, plant in a group, if you are prepared for the once a year drop then it's an easy clean, they look spectacular , big and glossy foliage, just love them.

• macyjean
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

I had to google it. It's a variety of Gleditsia / Honey Locust? I think that's way too big, and it's deciduous so that's a huge amount of autumn leaves, though the comments about how evergreens can shed all year are true too.

What purpose do you want the tree to fulfill? Shade, privacy, beauty, a combination?

• brixnmorta
    hace 7 años

A palm was suggested, I was advised having Alexandra palms as they are self pruning and look good because of that.

https://goo.gl/images/ev8XjF

Have you thought of extending the patio roof over the pool with a translucent roof?

• User
    hace 7 años

I think you will find that once you plant up those garden beds that are behind the retaining walls (I'm not good with plant names, but something like Super Hedge?, It gets really tall, fast with no nuts or flowers to drop and will screen out your neighbours), maybe plant some Boxus in front of the retainers for a layered effect. You might not feel like you need a tree then. Palms are also great as they don't drop much. Avoid the ones that drop the seeds/nuts.

I'm not so sure about the rationale of decidous dropping only once-a-year....our neighbours Chinese Elm overhangs our property and it drops constantly, all year- blossoms, leaves and sticky sap. Then of course it's annual gutter blocking drop!. No thank you. Near a pool? Crazy!

• KK1000
    hace 7 años
    Here is more ideas for a pool garden and you can Google it yourself and see what people are planting around pools.
  • User
    hace 7 años

Beautiful oskuee!

The worst are gum trees! their leaves stain pool surfaces terribly. The next would be the cocos palm nuts...I had a barracuda and those nuts fit perfectly to cause a blockage....really annoying if your filter is set to go whilst you are at work.

• Julie Herbert
    hace 7 años
    I agree with the chinese elm
    mel b but our ornamental pears do not do anything like that, we have shade and good looks during summer, also I keep them well watered and they are just gorgeous, big decisions when planting around a pool, I guess best bet is to ask the professionals who do pool landscaping.....like your photos oskuee.
  • User
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thank you all so much for your comments, links and photos. Macymapples, the purpose of the tree is as a feature as we already have plenty of shade with a large pergola. Brixamorta, the Alexander palm is food for thought elsewhere in the garden and I will check out other plants that have been mentioned. Many thanks.

• KK1000
    hace 7 años
    you can have some Sago palms as a feature they are maintenance free
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.