Houzz Logo Print
oona_newman

Raised breakfast bar or flat kitchen peninsula

Na Na
hace 7 años

We currently have a raised breakfasts bar in our kitchen. It sits a little above the counter and sink behind it and it separates the kitchen from the living room. We will be redoing our kitchen soon and I'm trying to decide if we should keep it as-is or if I prefer one large flat surface. Does anyone have an opinion and a rationale for why it's preferred?

Thanks!

Comentarios (7)

• nicolebanar
    hace 7 años
    We have the same set up and I wish we had a island peninsula
  • h4ppy5ue
    hace 7 años
    We had a raised breakfast bar on our island that we had to redo (because of a damaged piece of granite). We chose to redo it as a flat island and I was shocked at the difference this made in my entire kitchen / dinette area. The room suddenly felt so much more spacious and bright.
  • frenchtarragon
    hace 7 años

If your stove/range will be in the peninsula, I'd recommend the bar height, primarily because the extra height helps significantly to prevent hot cooking splatter from hitting those sitting at the bar. Otherwise, I'd recommend the counter height flat surface because it will make the kitchen feel more open, will give you larger seamless prep space, and its easier for youngsters and the elderly to sit and get up from counter height stools. Something else to throw in the mix: Some who entertain prefer the bar height because it allows you to hide your kitchen mess.

• PRO
    Oberholtzer Custom Cabinetry
    hace 7 años

I find the all one height counter surfaces to be more utilitarian. I also think they are more visually pleasing with cleaner lines overall and less clutter etc. However, one reason it may have been with a raised section in your current kitchen is to provide a bit of a visual shield from your sink and what is on the lower section of countertop as viewed from your living room. It also provides a bit of a backsplash for your sink, assuming you choose to keep the sink in the same location. I am working on a kitchen at the moment where we will be taking a peninsula with sink and raised section and making it an island all one counter height. If you have the space, it tends to open things up going this route.

• tedbixby
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Going to a flat surface gives you more flexibility. In addition to sitting at it, it can be used for a buffet line, stacking dirty dishes on it after a party, an extra area to prep on, use small appliances on such as a mixer and crock pot, etc. I think the only plus of a a raised surface is to hide the dirty dishes and containing splashing water a bit more. Now that I'm thinking about it, looking through houzz kitchens it is rare to see a raised surface. I see this done more now in bar set-ups- easier for the bartender to sneak a drink that way-lol. I've had both and any future renovating of kitchens will be flat.

• PRO
    KHB Interiors
    hace 7 años
    Hi

I like the space and look of the flat surface. The raised bar was a trend several years ago but we are not suggesting that currently in new construction homes.

Best of luck !

KHB Interiors in New Orleans

Please do me a huge favor and follow us on Houzz!

https://www.houzz.com/khbinteriors
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.