Houzz Logo Print
susie_boone

New patio tile. Should I seal it? Design ideas please!

Susie
hace 7 años
I just had this tile laid on my patio and screened in porch. Is there any benefit to sealing it? Any ideas on designs, furniture, layout would be appreciated as well. Thank you

Comentarios (17)

• PRO
    Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.
    hace 7 años

Yes, seal it.

Susie agradeció a Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 7 años
    You say tile. Is it natural stone? I have never sealed natural stone outside.
  • User
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Unless it is porcelain, it doesn't belong exterior. If it's porcelain, it is non porous to sealers, and sealing it will cause more issues and be wasted effort.

If it isn't porcelain, then you can expect the freeze thaw cycle to destroy it pretty rapidly.

It ain't natural stone. Very evident there with the fake grout lines. It's a single piece tile mimicking a pattern set tile. If your installer had managed smaller grout lines, and a better color match on the grout, it might not be so obvious.

• PRO
    VizX Design Studios, LLC
    hace 7 años

I would seal it. Before you have it done make sure you do your research and find the right sealer for the type of stone or tile that you have.

• PRO
    123 Remodeling Inc.
    hace 7 años

What's the tile made of?

• User
    hace 7 años

You don't seal external grout for the same reason that you don't seal external brick. It has to breathe to allow the moisture out. If you restrict that, you trap moisture and get spalling, and great chunks of grout end up coming out.

• Susie
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

I don't really know what it's made of. I think I'm in way over my head!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 7 años
    I am nor even sure it is porcelain. Could it be stick on vinyl squares? I recommend you find out what that material is. It didn't look like stone at all to me. No matter what it is it is a problem.
  • Susie
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

It's definitely not vinyl

• Susie
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

This is what it is: This 17in. x 17in. Brown Mix Aran Stone Anti-Slip Porcelain Tile has a outdoor slate look finish.

Inkjet technology offers the very best in tile design. Offering excellent color range, sharp details and exceptional variation, inkjet technology will create a tile that is stunningly realistic.

This porcelain tile comes from Spain, where factories have produced world-renown, high quality tiles with exceptional designs for many decades.

• PRO
    123 Remodeling Inc.
    hace 7 años

Porcelain then, so you don't need to seal it. I would get a darker grout stain though because it's going to eat up the dirt.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 7 años

Procelain doesn't need sealing, but sealing grout probably isn't necessary. I would just let nature develop its own patina, unless you plan on lots of spills and dirt? You can always stain it darker later if needed. If you want it to look better, stain the grout lines, making sure you know the process and products to use. As I look at this, the grout lines are too wide, and it should have been laid in a better system, but what's done is done.

• User
    hace 7 años

Outdoor location and indoor cleanliness expectations are incompatible.

• Susie
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

The grout is supposed to be grey. I'm not sure why it doesn't look like grey. Is there a way to stain it so it looks darker? Thank you.

• PRO
    123 Remodeling Inc.
    hace 7 años

You should be able to pick up grout stain at Home Depot. Just follow the directions on it (or get a handyman who's familiar with it).

Susie agradeció a 123 Remodeling Inc.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 7 años

There are many different "gray" grout colors. Best bet 123 Remodeling gave above.

Susie agradeció a Flo Mangan
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.