Houzz Logo Print
zennifer

Will this shelf work? How many screws?

zennifer
hace 7 años
Ok! So, I want to build shelving similar in look to the first picture above the knee wall in my family room (halfway up the wall). The first sketch shows the basic idea head on on the wall. I intend on notching them together like the third picture...verticals with a long notch, horizontals with a short notch.

Screwed into studs at least at the three notches in each vertical.

Verticals will float 2" above the knee wall and 2" from the ceiling.

Boards are 3/4" pine.

Studs are 16" apart.

We intend on lots of books.

The wood is sufficient, but the attachment to the wall is what worries me.

Will going 16" apart on every vertical support be sufficient? What about every 32"?

Thoughts?

Comentarios (21)

• zennifer
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Using pine to match the rest of the existing woodwork; online I see it spans 36" in the way I want?

I like the 1x3 idea under one of the shelves...could even do it to all of them.
  • User
    hace 7 años

What a giant safety hazard that inspiration picture is!

• zennifer
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    It's not going over stairs in my house!! :D
  • PRO
    Metropolitan Design Concepts
    hace 7 años

Love this idea and inspo picture! Saving for future mountain home renovations!

• Sammy
    hace 7 años

Frank Lloyd Wright was a genius. If you ever find yourself anywhere near southwestern Pennsylvania, do yourself a favor and visit Fallingwater. This staircase is only the tip of the iceberg at that place!

• zennifer
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    I would love to visit it!! Somehow I am not surprised I "accidentally" picked a FLW book shelf as inspiration!
  • User
    hace 7 años

Been there. And hit my head, and tripped over the uneven flagstone. And smelt the mold taking over the books in the rooms. And seen the water damage from the leaking corner windows.

Beauty, practicality, and safety, don't always coexist. Any design idea that is at odds with the practicality of the real world will end up losing to the real world. That is the real lesson of Falling Water.

• Diane
    hace 7 años
    Was lucky enough to have the time to visit Falling Water two years ago. Age and weather have had an impact, however, what I noticed was the beautiful setting, the impact of the home to the land and the joy others where having touring this property.
  • tatts
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

FLW was also a bit of a nut. He thought hallways were a waste of space, so he made them really narrow. And in Fallingwater, he made the hallway walls out of raw, stacked stone. Don't scrape your elbows when you visit. (and what Sophie said).

If you visit, look for the Kaufmann's mausoleum and the bronze doors by Alberto Giacometti. They don't publicize it, but it's cool. The Kaufmanns commissioned Fallingwater.

• User
    hace 7 años

I thought the garage was especially cool. Loved the setting and the ideas. But, he needed a bigger grounding in the limitations of the materials.

• PRO
    Cinar Interiors, Inc.
    hace 7 años

Looks like he may have used a L bracket to mount the shelf to the wall.

• zennifer
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Definitely see those L brackets on the ends! Thanks for pointing them out.

So, thinking wise, if I didn't want to go every 16" with the verticals, I could theoretically use L brackets, of course.

Still trying to figure out how many screws and what size and such needed to pull this off. If possible.
  • Steve Grimes
    hace 7 años

Wow, that's an interesting design. The picture could be better, I wonder whether the vertical pieces are thicker to allow a dado that would support the shelves. Quick sketchup below with 3/4" shelf, 1.5" vertical piece with 3/8" "shoulders".

Here is the link to a shelf sag calculator.

I can't see how the shelf is attached to the wall, there may be clever hidden hardware. I've seen hardware for floating shelves or interlocking flush.

• zennifer
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    I've heard about FLW's design over function a lot. I think this design, on a wall not a staircase, and with proper use of fasteners and spacing can be safe...am I wrong?
  • zennifer
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    That's my basic design, Steve! I'm very bad at explaining it.
  • Sammy
    hace 3 años

@zennifer: Did you ever build the shelves?

• zennifer
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Yes, we did. Don’t mind the disaster of a toy space behind the couch...in a year or two it will be moved out and replaced with a reading chair and light, and the freezer moved or covered. :)

we put an upright on every stud. You could honestly do pull-ups on this!

• zennifer
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Let me know if you want more detailed construction info. its now our favorite part of our house.

• RedRyder
    hace 3 años

Those shelves look amazing! Congratulations on a job well done!

• zennifer
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Thank you!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.