Houzz Logo Print
edxlee

Drawer pulls, Where ? :)

Ed
hace 11 años
última modificación:hace 11 años
I have 4 kitchen drawers, around 34" to 36" (86 - 91cm) wide. Three different heights: 5.5" (14cm), 9.5" (24cm), and 11" (28cm).
I plan to install two pulls per drawer. Each pull is Sugatsune DL-110-S,
which is 110mm (4.3") wide.
I looked at many cabinet and drawer photos on Houzz :) They have different locations for the hardware, many pretty choices.
I made a paper mock-up with the actual DL-110-S hardware.
Is it purely an aesthetic issue? (In terms of physics, I'm guessing placing the pulls near the mid-height is OK for balanced forces.? )
Another design choice would be a fixed length, say 2" (5cm), from the top of each drawer. Yet another is put them vertically, for an unusual look. :)
What are your feelings, experience, or ideas? Thanks! :)
http://www.sugatsune.com/180PDF/049.pdf

Comentarios (32)

• Jennifer Abbott
    hace 11 años
    Go with the look on the left. You could do the one on the right if all drawers were the same height.
  • colleen55
    hace 11 años
    Left much better!
  • Ed
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Última modificación: hace 11 años
    jabbott, colleen, thanks. :) Here's another idea, a more industrial look? I had to switch out the 110mm (4.3") ones to the shorter 90mm (3.5") for the top drawer. It's so much fun :) --
  • Ed
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Colleen, here are 2 kitchens where they placed all the pulls a fixed distance from the top of each drawer :)
    Carmel Residence · Más información

• Jennifer Abbott
    hace 11 años
    ed, I like the above look but I think it works because of the horizontal lines of the kitchen. you'd need to have a long continuous line like the above for this placement. I still like the one on the upper left of your post the best.
  • Ed
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    And the "lip" design --
    El Dorado · Más información
  • Ed
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Jabott, ah, yes, good point. It has to fit with the overall look of the kitchen, yes. Thanks. :)
  • PRO
    LouAnne Designs
    hace 11 años
    Even though esthetics plays great importance on where to put you horizontal handles for drawers & vertical for door, do forget the other equally important factor to this dilemma i.e. the height of the people in the household.
    Will the tallest member of the family be able to reach the lowest drawer hardware? Will there be enough space for a hand to go thru the d-handles with the most ease? Is it budget-friendly to hv 2 pulls per drawer? Is the handle design safe from accidentally brushing against them or will their rip clothes or skin, lol?

Just saying... Goodluck & enjoy it!
  • Dale Victor
    hace 11 años
    Personally I do not like the vertical pull look. I would not do this unless you are really set on it. Usually I am of the opinion that puls should be placed 2/5 of the way down the drawer (from the top). I think you have them spaced so they look right horizontally. There is no set way of doing the placement of drawer pulls but remember that others will be looking at these for some time and it may start to look strange to you if they vary from normal as to orientation.
  • Ed
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Aaron, Dale, thanks! Dale, horizontally, I spaced them (the center of each pull) at 1/4 and 3/4 of the width of the front face -- just as a test, first try. :)
  • Carolina
    hace 11 años
    Hi Ed,
    I've just looked at my kitchen (similar to the one enclosed) and the wide pulls in my kitchen and in the kitchen in the photo are all mounted as in your second photo above. So not in the middle of the drawer. From an aesthetic point of view I do like your second photo layout the best.

Gold Coast Condo · Más información
  • Ed
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Carolins, thank you! Could you post a photo of your cabinets and hardware! Thanks! :)
  • Carolina
    hace 11 años
    Right, so I meant that the above kitchen is similar in colour and has drawers and doors, so horizontal and vertical pulls. Here's my kitchen. It's over 14 years old, and one of the pulls is broken, had to be taped together (tip for next kitchen if we ever come to that... get extra pulls).
    Just took a quick shot, so it's not the perfect photo, but you'll get the idea:
    carolins's favorites · Más información
  • Ed
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Carolins, thanks! How do you "create" a Houzz page like that ? :)
  • Carolina
    hace 11 años
    You're welcome. I just upload my photos and put them in one of my ideabooks (in this case Carolins' favorites).
    So... now I've shown you mine... would you like to show us yours? :-D
  • Ed
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Carolins, our remodel probably still has a few more months to go, so the place is still very messy. Here's a photo of the vanity in our main bathroom. I plan to install pulls only for the six drawers on the two ends. The kitchen cabinets are still being built by the same person, so I have not even seen them yet! :)
  • Carolina
    hace 11 años
    Looking good, nice wood. Will you not put handles on the doors then? And the middle one isn't a drawer?
    Why don't you use those closing mechanisms that when you push the drawers or the doors spring open? I don't know what the technical term is, but that way you can have a sleek look without handles.
  • Ed
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Carolins, thanks, yes, I picked cherry for the cabinets to add a bit of warmth (red) to contrast the hardwood maple floor. All good questions, thank you. My current plan is to have no hardware on the two cabinet doors, and yes, the center is a drawer, also no pull -- if, after some period of time, we find them very difficult to open, then I can always install hardware later (but not the other way -- once the wood is drilled, it's irreversible!). I also don't know the technical term, but I know exactly what you meant. It's because a few months ago when I started this remodel, I had no idea about any of this stuff. So I went with all "slow-close" (no slam) cabinet doors and drawers, but did not consider the push-pop ones. And I only accidentally discovered Houzz halfway through our remodel. :) Have been educating myself since! Thanks!
  • mpoulsom
    hace 11 años
    I vote for top pic on right with pulls above 2 inches down from each drawer....not the middle spaced ones...
    I also like the look of a longer pull going across...just one. That's what I have in my kitchen. I just think it looks neater, rather than 2 on each drawer. To each his own though!! I know that's not what you asked ed!! ;)
  • Carolina
    hace 11 años
    Gosh yes, I'm learning something new every day on Houzz :-)
  • PRO
    Oellien Design, Inc.
    hace 11 años
    Centered in the drawer panel looks great.
  • Ed
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    mpoulsom, thank you. Yes, I also debated about having a longer center pull versus having 2 separate ones. :)
  • Ed
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Oellien, Carolins, thanks again! :)
  • Jennifer Abbott
    hace 11 años
    Ed, now that I see the picture of your vanity you definitely could go with the handles all towards the top. And the longer handles like in Carolins kitchen would look fabulous.
  • micstamper
    hace 11 años
    I love the idea of doing a paper mock up......plan to borrow this idea for our handles when we get to that stage. I agree with the others - don't center the handles. The second photo looks better.
  • Ed
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    jabbott, mic, thank you. Maybe I'll do the "fixed distance from top" version for the bathroom drawers, and do the "center of height" version for the kitchen drawers! :) Will think about it, thank you! :)
  • nasmijati
    hace 11 años
    Horizontal "D" handles/pulls at least three inches in length (four inches if one has large hands) and with a 1 1/2 height are easier to use if one has arthritic fingers.
    If you plan on this being your "forever" house, it will be good to plan for Aging-in-Place now, so you do not have to change all the hardware in the future.
  • Ed
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    eztia, thank you!
    Brown/Nilon Large Double-Tiered Cutlery Tray · Más información
  • nasmijati
    hace 11 años
    Greetings, Ed.
    Here is my long list of ideas for Universal Design and Handicap Access.

I have been interested in Universal Design for some time, now. I have collected some of the ideas that I have posted and that others have posted on Design Dilemmas.

Please take from this whatever is helpful. Best wishes.

Houzz
    1.) Go to Houzz Ideabooks and enter "Universal Design" in the search box.
    2.) Go to Houzz.com/Handicap-accessible
    3.) Go to Houzz Design Dilemma and enter "handicapped" in the search box

Universal Design
    1.) www.universaldesignstyle.com
    2.) www.schaefferconstruction.com specializes in Universal Design

Handicap Access
    1.) The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) site has specific measurements for wheelchair turning radius, placement of grab bars, everything.
    www.ada.gov/adastd94.pdf
    www.ada.gov/

2.) ADA Ramps : ADA Code 4.8
    [Thanks to Houzz contributor S. Thomas Kutch for finding this.]

Bathrooms
    1.) For decorative grab bars that do not look institutional, look at www.faucets.efaucets.com
    [Thanks to Houzz contributor Sense of Space for link]

2.) For accessibility products for bathrooms, go to www.arcfirst.net
    [Thanks to Houzz contributor Megan McDevitt for link]

3.) Commercial Bathroom Handicap Guidelines
    www.eHow.com# ixzz2Og8QNIff
    www.houselogic.com#ixzz2OgAPANpb

4.) Here are some Houzz Ideabooks about Universal Design in bathrooms:
    741559 The No-Threshold Shower: Accessibility with Style
    1562246 Houzzers Say: Dream Features for the Bath and Closet
    1061289 Bathroom Safety Features that Support Your Style
    2504909 Doorless Showers Open a World of Possibilities
    4492518 How to Design and Accessible Shower
    2507115 Houzz Tour: Universal Design in a San Francisco Home
    5008400 Make a Powder Room Accessible with Universal Design

Kitchens
    1.) America's National Kitchen and Bath Association (NKBA)
    2.) www.starcraftcustombuilders.com for Guidelines for rules for accessibility in kitchens and baths
    3.) National Multiple Sclerosis Society. Enter "Universal Design" in the search box.
    4.) www.ergonomics.about.com/od/kitchen/qt/Galley_design.htm
  • Ed
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
  • PRO
    Knickerbocker Group
    hace 8 años

I absolutely love www.coolknobsandpulls.com They are a great resource for all sorts of styles, finishes, and sizes of knobs and pulls!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.