Houzz Logo Print
marta_scorziello

which artwork to choose to replace the xisiting one on the picture?

Marta Scorziello
hace 11 años
I have just purchased my first home and this is the picture of the living room( it is now empty), i would like to put up a painting in the same place where its shown on the pic, but cant decided between those two. I would choose colours form the painting for colour scheme,so it would either be :red, cream,brown and black( too dark for a small living room?)or light green,mustard yellow and bits of cream and blue from the second. I love them both and cant decide what would look better. Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Comentarios (40)

• PRO
    Gabberts Design Studio
    hace 11 años
    Just looking at the artwork, I prefer the second choice. Pulling out the rich colors for your furnishings, from this painting would be stunning!
  • despinach
    hace 11 años
    Actually, I love the previous painting, "The Kiss". Don't you have it anymore? Or isn't it yours?
  • Marta Scorziello
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    despinach: it was the previous owners painting, i like it as well, but its so popular nowodays and also iam not great fun of the colours:) Those 2 i uploaded are more " ME" if that makes sense?:)
  • Marta Scorziello
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Gabberts Design Studio i am glad you like the second painting, i was going to have a similar colour of sofa to the one on the pic and then black and white striped rug, white tv stand and some red accesories thoroughout- what do you think?
  • despinach
    hace 11 años
    Oh, ok then! Both of them are wonderful, I prefer though the first one with the turquoise and the mustard yellow, because I think you could work beautifully around it in a small living room.
  • Marta Scorziello
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    would i just use cream or white and brown as a neutral and use mustard yellow and turquoise in accessories? I appreciate responses as i am hopeless in decorating:) This is first house i will own so dont want to mess it up this time!:)
  • despinach
    hace 11 años
    Keeping the furniture neutral and use colourful accessories is of course a safe option, but if you are fond of colour, you could go for a sofa in yellow or blue too!!
    Mascheroni Construction · Más información
  • Marta Scorziello
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    that looks lovely, i think i will have a look at the gallery for yellow mustard sofas and see if i can get more inspirations from there.Thank you!
  • Marta Scorziello
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    If anyone has any more ideas for the second painting or any more suggestions then please help me out:):):)
  • despinach
    hace 11 años
    That's where I found it too and thought it looked so light and airy despite the rich colours. I am sure you will be inspired!!
  • Marta Scorziello
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    I have decided to use Lady with a Fan painting in my living room, have alos decided on navy sofa, monochrom carpet and glass table- all of those seem pretty modern to me- do you guys think this painting will fit fine onto a "modern" living room look?
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    hace 11 años
    I'm delighted that you chose the lady with a fan picture. It's so light and airy.

Before you go shopping it would be wise to determine what size furniture will fit in your space. I find that a sofa and two chairs give more opportunity for flexibility in furniture arrangement than a sofa and loveseat. I'd choose an off white for the sofa and the chairs and add color with paint and accessories.

For a media console and/or bookshelves, Ikea is a wonderful source. I particularly like the Billy bookcase series with the extra height added pieces on top.
  • despinach
    hace 11 años
    Although I don't know much about art, I think that Klimt's paintings have "modern' lines, so yes, Lady with a Fan would look very nice in a modern or contemporary environment.
  • Marta Scorziello
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    thank you so much for all the comments, i am really hopeless and all the decorations of my rented houses i have done before were just horriffic-haha:) I just bought a house so want to do it right this time:)
    I am struggling to find a navy couch though here in UK, we have loads of teal sofas though, do you think teal would be ok or would it be too colourfull?

Carolyn- thank you for suggestions- my living room is quite small as you can see on the pic, i am planning to squeeze a dining table there as well, i also have a small child and a big dog, so i need to think practically as well so i dont think i would go for a light sofa-even though it sounds lovely.

I am thinking: teal ( struggling to get navy)sofa sitting on a black-white stripey carpet, Klimt on the wall, glass round dining table with ghost chairs and white tv stand> can you see it:)?
  • despinach
    hace 11 años
    Are you sure about the glass table (with a small child)? I mean, it is safe, isn't it? Ghost chairs are also beautiful with wooden or white tables, have you thought about it?
    Dining Delight · Más información

Transitional Dining Room · Más información
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    You could inquire as to whether the glass is tempered or not, but usually glass tabletops are fairly thick and therefore not too prone to breakage. I would worry more about a boy than a girl. A teal sofa should look great.
  • Marta Scorziello
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    well i actually already have a dining table( pictured underneath- exactly the same model but mine is darker wood-amarone brown) i would love to use it as im on a budget but i just assumed this table would be too traditional for the rest of the modern room? Do you guys think i could just add ghost chairs to it? Would that work?:)
  • Marta Scorziello
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    ok, i swear its last question and thank you so much for replying to me with great suggestions!!!!! So....what if i went for leather sofa in medium/light brown added lots of pillows from the colour of the painting- like tourquise,yellow etc. Would this table then look better or should i maybe paint it white?or astill teal? But then the sofa would be the only brwon thing in the room?
  • Marta Scorziello
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    im sorry for confusing like that, i am just trying to put it all in my head, so final version would be: medium brown leather sofa( with pillows taking colours from painting) sitting on a black-white carpet, white tv unit, Lady with a Fan and then what table?- ideally what table and chairs would go with the rest?
  • connieglasgow
    hace 11 años
    I like the second picture. The girl in the first picture is looking toward the outside wall. That would make me uncomfortable sitting in that room. I prefer the colors and design of the second picture.
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    What happened to the idea of a teal sofa? I'd do the teal sofa with 3 pillows, 1 each of yellow, orange and fuschia, and the black and white rug. Then I'd paint the table yellow. Or you could get the Ikea dining table that looks somewhat like a Saarinen table. But if for some reason you've changed to a medium brown leather sofa, then I'd do turquoise, orange and fuschia pillows but paint the table turquoise or get the Saarinen type Ikea table with the ghost-like chairs.
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    Yes, that girl with the fan is looking out the window to check the weather. Should she take her fan with her or not?
  • connieglasgow
    hace 11 años
    I think she should not take it...it looks too good with the other stuff in the room.
  • PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    hace 11 años
    Like the second one best.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 11 años
    I like the first one. The red is too much for room.you have to much of one. Color. Mixup pillows. Plant is to small add tall silk palm or bamboo.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 11 años
    Coffee table too high and should be low. Try black. Lacquered .
  • PRO
    Integrity Installation & Design, LLC
    hace 11 años
    You could always use Gray or greige tones. They will go with anything if you decide that the colorful walls become too much, That way you can accent your room with colorful pieces instead of possibly making it too loud by the walls
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 11 años
    Keep sofa color neutral. Can add color to chairs like a contemporary print. You have a Asian feel going. Stay with that. A low sleek sectional in a light gray would be perfect. Use red and yellows in chairs. Round black coffee table with simple orchid is simple and classy.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 11 años
    Bo brown sofa see my last comment. Table is too traditional use black lacquer. With chairs in color for dining. Keep it modern. Glass gets dusty and finger prints.
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    It is my understanding that the furniture in the room does not belong to Marta. It's a photo of the previous owner's furniture. Is that correct, Marta?
  • mugwump33
    hace 11 años
    I love what you have decided ... leather sofa with pillows and the lady w/fan picture. You can always change the accessories. Use the dining table you have now and see how it works. Then decide to keep it or not/paint it or not. The ghost chairs just might work and give it a more modern look. Also not seem as cluttered. Good luck, I think you've got great ideas and a great start!
  • Marta Scorziello
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    wow thanks for all the great comments, Caroline- you are right this living room.is.now empty waiting for me to.fill it in:) My husband is moaning at the teal.sofa and he said our messy lifestyle might be too much to handle for fabric teal sofa- i agree deep down even though i dont want to:)
    I am very inspired with the great ideas you guys are giving me. I think i will probably end up with brown sofa and black-white carpet and colourful pillows- how about navy-white curtains???:) For table i am.now thinking ikea docksta and tobias chairs?
  • Marta Scorziello
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    mugwump33 yes just for.nowni must use this table as i wont be able to buy everything at once:-)
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    I would not mix brown and black and navy. The brown sofa should work fine with the black and white rug, but for the draperies I would stick with a simple off white linen look, no pattern. Or if you want to have your draperies in a color, use one of the pillow colors, but in a solid.
  • Jeni Charles
    hace 11 años
    Última modificación: hace 11 años
    Didn't have time to read all the other comments but I like the second painting and would use green as a main color and purple as accent colors with a small amount of red from the painting. The painting has very little purple but is the center focus. Using green with purple accents will bring that out. Green is a very calming color and you only need a small amount of red in the room ( the painting has plenty) it goes a long way with a statement.
  • Marta Scorziello
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Caroline, for the cushions when you wrote: orange, fuchsia and torquoise i was surprised- after carefully onvestigating the painting i noticed all three of them colours- very interesting to draw the colour from the smallest area to bring it out more?:) I love it:) Can i use yellow instead of orange or would tgat be too much yellow? i will pick some pillows later on and add fhem.here for you to have a look:) Thank you!!!
  • PRO
    hace 11 años
    I am not fond of yellow with the brown leather. Yellow would look good with a gray or black or teal sofa, but not my fav with brown.
  • PRO
    Deborah Argyropoulos Fine Art
    hace 11 años
    some additional choices are attached- do you want to go with original art or a reproduction? If you have any questions I would be happy to assist you.
  • PRO
    Deborah Argyropoulos Fine Art
    hace 11 años
    I get the sense you want to go figurative with the piece. However if you choose to do abstract I have attached some choices as well.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.