marciey1972

Need help deciding to keep this wooden balustrade.

marciey1972
hace 7 años

We just purchased this lovely New England home with wooden balustrades. I don't know that I like it, but not sure what to replace it with, whilst keeping within the New England style. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comentarios (4)

• Maureen
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años
    marciey1972 agradeció a Maureen
  • PRO
    The Iron Petunia Design Company
    hace 7 años

This style is so tricky! I too have had issues styling around this type of banister.

Options I've done in the past are as follows:

1.paint the spindles cream but leave the rail the natural finish.

2. Paint it all in a bronze or black

3. Paint the spindles in a metallic silver/black making it look like iron work.

All of these options have a different look and can easily revitalize your home.

Best of luck!

marciey1972 agradeció a The Iron Petunia Design Company
  • Judy Mishkin
    hace 7 años

as a new englander... i wouldnt describe that as a new england balustrade. its a 1980s balustrade, and the little bit i can see of your home matches that era. our 1986-built summer house (in RI, but i think its a style that was other places as well) had that style, we changed it to this:

your uncased doorways have a modern vibe; so while i think square balusters are the best 'new england' look, i dont think they would suit your house.

marciey1972 agradeció a Judy Mishkin
  • qam999
    hace 7 años

It's a very clean and simple design.....yes, probably from the 80s. The simplicity means it goes with New England traditions. Also, a true Yankee would never pull out a serviceable balustrade for any reason whatsoever. At most, it could be painted a neutral trim color, such as taupe. Keep it simple, a single color overall to avoid overdressing this dignified look. Coupled with white walls and taupe trim and woodwork throughout the house, it will be a perfect foil for 18th century furniture, China trade porcelain, hooked rugs, Shaker baskets, or whatever you have planned.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.