Houzz Logo Print
nicholas_powers

NEW DRYWALL, NEED WALL COLOR ADVICE

N Pow
hace 7 años

New drywall in living and dining room and trying to decide on a wall color. Crown moulding isn't up yet but we plan on adding crown in both rooms. Ceilings are 8' 5". Two colors we like as of right now are BM Filtered Sunlight and BM Provence Creme. The carpet is being torn up as well, so don't base color picks on carpet, but feel free to give carpet suggestions as well as wall color suggestions :) Thanks in advance.

Comentarios (12)

• emmarene9
    hace 7 años

Do you have the furniture for this room? You should know the furniture color before choosing wall paint. Pick out carpet first too. I'm not saying to lay the carpet first, just know the color you are getting.

N Pow agradeció a emmarene9
  • PRO
    moico inc.
    hace 7 años

You must pick your carpet first - There are a lot fewer colours in carpet and millions of paint colours to choice from to go with your choice.

N Pow agradeció a moico inc.
  • N Pow
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Plaft- the carpet is old and coming up

emmarene- no furniture yet either, getting all new. Mom and I are going to go with a dark beige or griege carpet we think. We want a light color on the walls, a cream with a touch of yellow. Was hoping for names of paintcolor suggestions/ideas?

• kylie51100
    hace 7 años

For a cream with a touch of yellow, it's hard to go wrong with BM Navajo White, it's FABulous, as is BM Gentle Cream, the darker version which is like a super heavy, grounded cream. Remember that yellow reflects more light back than the average paint colour so if you commit to a colour with more yellow in it, it might come back to bite you once it's applied! :)

N Pow agradeció a kylie51100
  • User
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

@N Pow, If you are getting new carpet and furniture I would wait until you put that in then choose the paint. It really does depend on what you buy.

Your canvas is blank now but once you start filling the room everything will change....wait until all is in place then paint.

.You'd be surprised how you pick your carpet and then you get home and the lighting throws off the color. Please wait until the carpet is in, then pick your furniture, then your paint. :)

N Pow agradeció a User
  • emmarene9
    hace 7 años

Benjamin Moore has Barely Beige which is yellowy and a deeper beige which is Muslin. I agree on Navajo White but thought you might want a darker color. You could probably get some paint chips and take them with you when you go rug shopping.

N Pow agradeció a emmarene9
  • tob123
    hace 7 años

It is easy to work with neutral colors family, beige or gray .

N Pow agradeció a tob123
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 7 años

Hi N Pow...no problem thank you for contacting me..would love to help...You can't go wrong with SW Wordly Gray or a little warmer SW Acessible Biege...should be very easy to match carpet..when walls are done just bring home samples of carpet to see in the space..no worries..I usually pick paint before carpet because lighting can really be tricky...so you are fine best to see walls painted when picking carpet....Good Luck!!

These are two Whites that are great for trim!

SW Shoji White

BM White dove

Here is Wordly Gray

Here is Accessible biege

N Pow agradeció a Home Interiors with Ease
  • PRO
    Jill J. Wallace, Color Redesign
    hace 7 años

Color selection can seem like the chicken or the egg dilemma. The two yellows you have narrowed down are buttery yellow, not too beige and not highlighter yellow. The previous comments hold good precautions. Wet samples painted on poster or wall board will let you move the color to the lightest and most shadowed walls and portable to the carpet store. Lighting could change the amount of yellow you see and the carpet will definately effect the end result.

If you can, pull the old carpet back so it doesn't influence the carpet sample. With the paint color sample board you can lean it against the wall (don't lay it flat on the carpet, walls won't be horizontal and viewing it laying flat changes the look of the color) and then put the carpet by the color board. It is easier to tweak the paint color than it is carpet, but you may be able to tweak the carpet color within the style you choose or pick a different carpet board. You can take the painted color boards to the carpet store too, just be prepared that the paint color may look different in the retail store than your room. If you know you like the paint color at home, know that even though it looks different at the store you should be able to find a carpet sample that looks good with the paint at the store, and that should translate to being a good sample to take home.

Hope that helps, and I hope it's an easy breezy search with little tweaking.

Post your findings!

Best,

Jill

N Pow agradeció a Jill J. Wallace, Color Redesign
  • N Pow
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thanks jill- do you think those two colors would look ok on these two rooms? I know it's hard to say but based on your professional opinion? Or does another color in this family come to mindv

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 7 años

Here are the yellows you mentioned in your post...is their a reason you want yellow?

Here is Filtered Sunlight

And Provence cream..this is a very strong yellow

Navaho White is a very soft creamy ivory

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.