Houzz Logo Print
snapg73

Desperately Seeking Curb Appeal

snapg73
hace 7 años
I have recently purchased this mid-century home and it desperately needs curb appeal. And where is the front door you ask? That's the problem! Please give your input on colors and a way to draw attention to the entry way. Maybe an awning. Sketches would be awesome! The windows were replaced before I purchased and they are vinyl so not sure they can be painted. Not replacing roof or gutters and it's the original front door and hardware so would prefer to keep it. Cutting the giant oaks down is also not an option at this point.

Comentarios (11)

• etaleman
    hace 7 años
    I like the home. I just want to say please don't ever cut down the trees! Beautiful trees all around your picture. Could you do something with adding a walkway from the curb leading to the front door?
  • apple_pie_order
    hace 7 años

In the under $100 category, prune the shrubs along the front staircase, add solar lights in rows up the beds. Add large house numbers on the brick or on the siding.

Mid-Century Remodel · Más información

In the more expensive category, remove the gigantic pine tree in front of the house. Nothing else you can do quickly will be as effective at boosting curb appeal as removing the tree. If you have to postpone this work, see an arborist about making it as safe as possible during winds and storms.

• Kris Mays
    hace 7 años

I agree with the landscaping. Those terraced beds? Tear out what looks like junipers and replant with something more colorful to help point folks to the front door, lighting and address numbers will also help immensely. Take it one step further and create more terraced boxes down along the driveway a bit, further welcoming folks to and pointing them toward your front door area.

Maybe update your railing.

All of the trees need attention, but I agree that one in the front yard is not doing you any favors and may have outlasted it's life. It's been limbed several times as it is.

Your roof looks brown, so I like a sage or olive green for your home. I'd keep the trim a creamy color, or simply match your vinyl windows. Along with your brick, it will be beautiful.

I like the garage door to be the same color as your siding, rather than white. Or another option would be a mid mod wood look garage door.

Enjoy!

• felizlady
    hace 7 años
    If you can add a different material making the front walkway more apparent, I would suggest you start there. An exterior tile (non-slip surface) walkway in a lighter color would be more visible. Add lighting to brighten the walkway and stairway after dark (solar lights or small pathway lights), and a larger light where the small wall light fixture is would help.
  • mabel123
    hace 7 años

Two relatively cheap ideas:

1. Wall Lights leading to / either side of the door.

2. Prominent house number applied to brick front, preferably mid-century font.

More expensive, more work option could be to reconfigure the steps. I would like to see steps expand forward from the house aswell as down to the driveway. A landing or small patio area could be included.

Good Luck!

• snapg73
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Thank you all for the great feedback! I was focused on changing the house but everyone seems to think it's more of a landscape issue. However, I do think the house needs a fresh paint scheme. Any ideas for that?
  • Kris Mays
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

I actually like your current color, but understand the need for change. I always like a nice, warm sage green, gray green or an olive green with red brick. Or you could be more dramatic and do a navy.

• PRO
    DBGC Inc.
    hace 7 años

I like the landscaping ideas and the house numbers. I wonder, is painting your house in the budget? Painting the entire exterior (except the trims as you noted) a single color would update it dramatically. You could then do a wood slat railing leading up to your front door.

Best of luck!

• PRO
    Dreamscape Outdoor Living & Garden Inc.
    hace 7 años

I agree with Kris Mays and DBGC Inc. paint the siding a warm color that compliments the color of the brick. The greens mentioned by Kris are a great choice. Get some paint samples and paint them on the siding to see how they look onsite.

• PRO
    Lynch Landscape and Tree Service, Inc.
    hace 7 años

Hello snapg73, we love your' home and have a few ideas that you might be able think about. We definitely agree with apple_pie in getting some nice, contemporary oversized house numbers. This would be a great, inexpensive way to bring some more character to the front of the house. Additionally, if you want to go for an even more updated look, how about not just changing the siding color, but the brick too!? Maybe go with a two toned warm gray combination between the siding and brick, and swap out the rot iron railing for something more contemporary like a post and cable type setup.

Valentine Park · Más información

I'd then think about either painting the brick planters as well, or adding a new texture to the front facade by going with a smooth gray cement, or stucco finish and create a modern, contemporary, industrial type feel. From there, I'd simplify the plantings and get rid of the ground cover hiding the planters to help soften things back up and keep that warm and inviting feel. To further warm things up, some stained woodwork details would really bring the house to life, whether it's the Garage door, or front door, or both!

Modern Lifestyle · Más información

In terms of lighting, we'd recommend some new contemporary wall lighting over the garage and house numbers to give the face of the house some depth, and life at night. Given the large empty brick wall in the middle of the home, maybe add a small ornamental tree to be highlighted there, maybe a Seiryu Japanese Maple!? Check out these sketches, and hope this helps!

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.