Houzz Logo Print
julia_servi

Lighting for kitchen / dining room with vaulted ceiling

Julia Servi
hace 7 años
I am currently having an extension built with a vaulted ceiling. This will house my kitchen and oak dining table. The walls to the existing rooms will be knocked down to incorporate a family room with no window and the existing kitchen. I need some lighting for both sides of the room, something symmetrical not too low hanging, as in the summer I intend to swap the dining table and sofas around to make the most of the bifold doors and views of the garden. Ideas please

Comentarios (9)

• PRO
    Pavilion Broadway
    hace 7 años

Hi Julia how about a small pendant light such as the Eichholtz Lantern Owen or the Empire Lantern

• Julia Servi
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Thanks Yasmin, there is going to be a plinth with lights in the back wall to highlight the vaulted area, I also intend to have lights under the wall cupboards. I agree with you regarding spot lights as due to the angles the lights would probably not shine in the expected direction and would probably cast shadows. There will also be two velux windows sited close to the original wall of the house. Please tell me more about the led lighting you are suggesting?
  • Julia Servi
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Pavilion, thanks for your comments, the lights you are suggesting are ok but way out of my price range. My theme also needs to fit in with my Rayburn
  • PRO
    Yasmin Chopin Interior Design
    hace 7 años

Hi Julia, LED strip lighting is very versatile and easy to install. See this example from Hafele (suppliers). Very economical with electricity the strips are cool to touch. The colour of the light can change from white to a warmer glow, even to green, blue etc if you want something jazzy. The strips can be placed anywhere - they need to be hidden from view because in themselves they are not pretty but you just want to see the glow. Ideal for along the top of a beam for instance. Let me know if I can be of any further help. Best wishes Yasmin

Hafele Flexible Strip Lights · Más información

• PRO
    Darklight Design Ltd
    hace 7 años

Hi Julia

As you have a vaulted ceiling, it may be worth adding a pendant above your kitchen and then complimenting it with some wall uplights which will add depth to the ceiling, while also providing indirect light whilst dining. If you wanted to go a little more modern then linear lighting using led profiles could be considered at skirting or pitch level . Depending on the layout of the furniture of the room i may also consider a 5amp circuit for lamps which may sit upon a sideboard unit or for a floor lamp that would compliment the dining table. Warm white light offers the best colour temperature for residential projects, the picture above appears to be a cold white which can make a room look stark and uninviting though that is still subject to taste of course.

I hope this helps and good luck with your project .

Regards Richard

• PRO
    LuxDeco
    hace 7 años

Dear Julia,

A long and low linear pendant or a chandelier with a short fixed central shaft would work well, as would a flush ceiling sconce. If you would prefer a chain design just make sure it's short enough for the space or has the ability to be adjusted – we love the Hicks Pendant light which is a favourite for kitchens.

Since the space will incorporate a kitchen as well, remember to consider task lighting in that particular area (you probably won't need this in your dining area). Perhaps include some downlighters for general lighting (always safe to have) then supplement this with two lovely pendants or ceiling lights for ambient lighting and, lastly, add some task lighting in the kitchen area.

If you need any further advice on lighting, this guide might be helpful for you: https://www.luxdeco.com/styleguide/ultimate-lighting-guide-luxury-interiors/.

Good luck!

LuxDeco

• PRO
    Lightmaster Direct
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Hi Julia!

Can I throw in an idea here??

You could look at Astro Lighting (https://www.astrolighting.com/products) for some ceiling light ideas. Their fittings are modern and clean but would still fit with the look you're going for with the Rayburn. If Astro isn't your scene, look at Vaughn (http://www.vaughandesigns.com/site/category.cfm?category=1). They have a huge range of fittings!

LED strip is a great option- as warm a light as you can get (2700K max). Remember with LED strip it MUST be installed with a metal backing to act as a heat sink!!

A slightly cheaper option would be to go for spotlights shining light up onto the ceiling which will then bounce back down into the room.

If you need any more advice give us a call! Or, take a look at our Kitchen lighing blog which has more lighting tips! http://www.lightmaster-direct.co.uk/blog/kitchen-lighting/

Good luck!!

• Bruce Reynolds
    hace 7 años

Hello Julia, have you thought about using a track system at all? That would give you the flexibilty of moving spot lights and pendants around as you wish. There are also two circuit tracks available, only 20mm square, this means that you can have lights switched separately even on the same track. http://www.bruck.co.uk/en/light-systems/230-v-track-system/duolare-track-system-230-v-2-circuit/

all the best!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.