Houzz Logo Print
michie22

Help needed with stair risers and spindles.

MGdecor
hace 7 años
I am thinking of painting my stairs risers and spindles BM Simply White. This is the paint I have on my trim throughout the house.

Houzzers, do you think this will look good? I am looking to freshen and brighten up the stairs.

My taste is transitional. Would painting the risers and spindles white make it look a bit country or would it still work in a traditional space?

Comentarios (9)

• MGdecor
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Damn autocorrect! I meant to say would it work in a transitional space.
  • PRO
    Rana/Art Palette
    hace 7 años

I never want to paint over good quality wood. Painting and hiding the natural surface grain will be a pity. I like it as is.

• jhmarie
    hace 7 años

This staircase is really pretty and I think I would keep it wood. I do have painted risers and spindles, but my staircase is very simple - not as pretty as yours - and it is a cottage style home.

• Emily Jowers
    hace 7 años
    Your stairs are too beautiful to paint. If you really want to paint them, you could do the risers and spindles, but I think it will look better this way.
  • PRO
    OasisDesign&Remodeling
    hace 7 años
    I think painting the risers & spindles would actually enhance the architecture of them keep the handrail & newel wood.
  • MGdecor
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Could I paint just the risers and leave the spindles wood finish or would that look weird?
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 7 años

I can't believe I'm saying this, but they look perfect as they are. I'm usually one to jump on the paint wagon, but not in this case. These stairs are very sexy feeling and that seems appropriate here. I mean the contrast of curved wall and stairwell (feminine) and square spindles dark finish (masculine.) If the spindles were rounded you could paint them and the risers white, but the square ones seem in deliberate contrast to, yet are in harmony with, the curve of the wall and stairs. I wouldn't touch the ying/yang balance that is going on visually.

• Johanne Caglianone
    hace 6 años

No I feel the stairs just disappear. I like the contrast as shown on the pic above by Jennifer Havin. Also, to not feel completely the same....I would at least change the stain color to a darker stain if the grain of the wood is something you wish to leave, just give it a more contrast and show the curvature. I feel it looks like one BLOCK of wood and I think it is because the main floors are the same color...it does not bring out the true architecture of the stairs....but it is truly beautiful.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.