Houzz Logo Print
cindy_helton91

help! I've created a falling hazard on my landing.

Cindy Helton
hace 7 años
when I added vinyl plank flooring to my lower hallway, I tried to match the real wood flooring on the landing. I guess I matched it too well, visitors can't see the transition from landing to hallway is about a four inch drop. They are falling because they can tell the level changes. Any ideas on how to correct this that will not look tacky or create a tripping hazard?

Comentarios (21)

• User
    hace 7 años

You need a visual cue...

Try a piece of painters tape on the end. If it works, I suggest painting the last "plank" black...

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Like penny stated, you need a visual border. My friend had the exact same issue w/bamboo flooring. They did the strip in a darker shade. strip that piece and re-stain it in a java tone (don't try to add it on top of what's there. wood can only soak up so much stain).

or you can try to lightly sand off the color and see if that works. Or you can just paint it too. what ever is easier for you.

• Claudianne Young
    hace 7 años

Would a rug ie. a runner on the lower landing draw attention if it were directly laid in the area that is transtioning?

• User
    hace 7 años

Please be careful with runners on the lower part...speaking from experience, here. Something about the way you step without all of your weight on a step versus one level....Ouch.

• tatts
    hace 7 años

Painting vinyl would be a real trailer-trash solution (and not durable). Plus, if the light is low, black doesn't do any good.

Replace the last strip of vinyl with a coordinating but contrasting piece--probably lighter.

• PRO
    Esmaili Rugs and Antiques, Inc.
    hace 7 años

What about adding lights underneath?

kensington 1 · Más información
    Tread lightly on the stairs - This genius staircase has very thin strip lights under each tread, creating enough light to illuminate the whole area without dazzling the eyes – crucial if a late-night jaunt downstairs is a possibility. The clear glass baluster makes the most of the glow, allowing it to spread through the space.

Stair runners with matching carpet on the landing (see below)

Glamour Home · Más información

• auntthelma
    hace 7 años

Perhaps a small rug on the landing?

• PRO
    Esmaili Rugs and Antiques, Inc.
    hace 7 años

Not sure if placing a small rug on the landing is going to help?
    Not feeling it...

• User
    hace 7 años

Well, apparently I suggested a "trailer trash solution"....

Tatts you're such a.....

• chiflipper
    hace 7 años

Nope, the rug does not improve the situation. I'm sure your retailer will provide you with a lighter color strip. Just bite the bullet and get it done, much cheaper than a lawsuit.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 7 años

nope on the rug. to me it still looks like one level. now you have slipping hazard on top of the falling! Just replace the edging with something else.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    hace 7 años

Oh man...I'm so mean...I'm laughing so much right now imaging the look on people's faces...

Obviously not funny if someone actually gets hurt though...

Good advice above.

• Irene Morresey
    hace 7 años
    Make a copper penny mat from the penny tiles, for floor bottom of stairs. You could glue to floor, or just glue corners. Might be quite effective
  • Renee Texas
    hace 7 años

I'd pull up the last piece of vinyl, or the transition, and replace with a complimentary piece in a different stain.

• Cindy Helton
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Many thanks for all the suggestions! I love the lighting underneath idea. That looks great! I may have some extra strip LEDs I could test it out to see if it helps. Changing the color of either the wood transition or the vinyl plank below it will be option #2.
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 7 años

Are all the other risers 4" high? If not, the problem isn't a visual one, but that of gait. This is why code only allows a 3/8" variation in the height of treads over a run.

• Emily Jowers
    hace 7 años

Wow that is impressive matching! I would personally paint the lip of the stair a light color, despite someone saying it's trashy. Most people would do white, I would do yellow like CAUTION and then paint the riser part like caution tape so it all fits together. :) It'd be fun, but I've discovered that I have weird taste. I think a different wood stain would look random at the edge of the landing, but paint is obviously purposeful, especially if you make it fun.

I love this fun staircase, but I would paint the riser part, not the step, though painting the whole landing could be cool.

Houzz Tour: Designers Get Creative With Their Island Getaway · Más información

• PRO
    Rana/Art Palette
    hace 7 años

My suggestion being an artist will be to paint a decorative scroll or something in 2-3 coordinating tones (just pull up some designs of scrolls online). You may be order a stencil and paint over it. Use paint that can stick on slick surfaces. The colors you want to use, you can order just sample sizes of those from stores (which may run approx. $6.00 approx. a piece) .. It will look decorative and classy.

• User
    hace 7 años

Put some kind of 1/2" wrap on the last step that goes with the room? Otherwise I think a small rug or even a stair step rug might do the trick.

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    hace 7 años

Change the nosing on the landing...that will give you a visual cue. Either lighter (will look weird but effective) or darker (my preference).

Until you find a piece of nosing that you like, feel free to lay down some yellow/black "caution" tape on that edge...it will do the trick until you get the nose changed out.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.