Houzz Logo Print
parker10302

Bath for three girls

parker10302
hace 7 años
Looking for some advice...how to configure this space to work best for my three daughters. Currently this space is divided into two, one has a full bath with a shower/tub combo and a the other is a powder room.

In a perfect world, the 14 year old in the small bedroom would have her own bath, and the two smaller girls would have a bathroom with its own water closet. The space is approximately 162"x84".

I appreciate any suggestions!!!

Comentarios (36)

• auntthelma
    hace 7 años

That's a lot of space. How about an 80" vanity with three sinks? On the other side, plenty of room for a large shower and a closed off Water closet. Very nice for a shared room. Do you need a tub?

• auntthelma
    hace 7 años

Beach side House · Más información

2011 Foxhall · Más información

kids' bath · Más información

Traditional Homes · Más información

Mountain Retreat · Más información

parker10302 agradeció a auntthelma
  • parker10302
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Thank you auntthelma for the suggestions.

However, what we really need is as much separate space as possible. We've all been sharing the space their whole lives, but since we're starting from scratch we'd like to compartmentalize as much as possible to give more privacy.

For example, my first thought was to create a jack and Jill style bath, a powder room on each end with their own entrance, and a shared shower room in the center. That way, someone can be showering in privacy and the two powder rooms are still accessible.

BUT...I'm not sure it's the best option or the most creative solution.

More suggestions are welcome!
  • Val B
    hace 7 años
    Parker - I don't have any ideas, but I think your idea is a good one and growing up as one of three girls, I can appreciate that they'll definitely want more privacy.
  • D M
    hace 7 años

Haha! I feel ya! My Dad had 3 women in his house. You should have seen the size of our bathroom when I was a kid! The only issue I have with the comment of 3 sinks is that for resale, most people aren't ever going to need 3 sinks. I would go with an 84" double.

I used the IKEA planner to help me with this, obviously. I couldn't add a partition wall with a door so just imagine a wall/door in front of the toilet. If you need storage you could alway put some wall-mounted cabinets. I put a 3 x 5 shower in but put it lengthwise rather than width. That way you can tile 3 walls then just have a glass door & frame.

I tried it a few other ways but it just looked stupid. You could put in pocket french doors to increase the space (no inswing)

I forgot about the windows, but I still think it would work.

parker10302 agradeció a D M
  • PRO
    User
    hace 7 años

I agree with long vanity and three sinks as school kids all need to get ready same time. Make sure they all have electrical plugs for appliances. Also a stand alone tub and separate shower. Toilet enclosed and you are on your way to a peaceful life. There were six kids in my family growing up and I know of which I speak, lol.

• D M
    hace 7 años

Just saw your reply. I will re-work haha! It seems like a lot of space until you get it on a planner. Even then, you will only end up with 2 half-baths and a "communal" shower. No way you can get 3 in there.

• parker10302
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Thank you both for your advice! I'm going to work on this rough drawings...
  • auntthelma
    hace 7 años

Not sure how you can make it a Jack and Jill with the floor plan you put up.

• auntthelma
    hace 7 años

DM's drawing is pretty much what I was thinking. Big shower!

Are you using this bathroom too? Or just the girls?

• D M
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

@parker10302 Okay, if you want a Jack 'n' Jill style with separate shower, here's what I came up with. Pocket doors into each individual bathroom (or regular doors. Right inswing for left powder room and left inswing for right powder room) For the shower, these are just partition walls so it won't let me add doors but I'm thinking pockets there as well that slide towards the shower. I only put 2x4 walls in there but you might have to go 6 to get pockets in, I'm not sure. That way you have an entrance from each powder room into the shower. I added the bench at the last minute so it's only in one pic. You could put cute hooks above it for clothes, towels etc.

That's all I've got haha!

This one shows some corner shelves for some more storage

Floor plan

You would probably only be able to fit 32" doors in there if you went with an in-swing as opposed to pocket (doors into powder rooms, not into shower room obviously). But that shouldn't matter too much. 32's are cheaper than say, 36's anyways haha!

parker10302 agradeció a D M
  • D M
    hace 7 años

Or hey you could scratch the pockets into the shower room and just have a separate door from the hall to the shower. Although I'm not sure how that would look with 3 doors side-by-side.

• parker10302
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Thank you DM! You're much faster at this than I am. I think that seems to be the optimum option for making it compartmentalized.

I briefly toyed with the idea of creating an en-suite for the small bedroom, however not sure how to mitigate losing closet space.
  • PRO
    The Joshua Tree Vanities
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

parker10302 agradeció a The Joshua Tree Vanities
  • PRO
    Anna Gratia Studia
    hace 7 años

This is what I would do, if there won't be an issue to move the plumbing pipes.

parker10302 agradeció a Anna Gratia Studia
  • Emily Jowers
    hace 7 años
    I tried to do Anna's plan. It looked cool, but I couldn't get everything to fit.
  • PRO
    Anna Gratia Studia
    hace 7 años

3' for the vanities and 2' 6" for the shower/toilet. the rest is place to walk. It is tight, but at the same time you fit everything.

• parker10302
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

So many interesting alternatives...thank you.

Anna...the oldest wants privacy, so no more open doors for her! I just downloaded a random app and came up with this layout. The shower(or small tub if we can fit it) would have pocket doors.

The only wall in the teen's room to fit the bed is the long wall adjacent to the other room, so I wouldn't want to relocate the closet there.

We are taking our office, to the right of the girls bath space and making it a master ensuite...no more sharing for me!!! yay!

On the subject of relocating the closet in my oldest's room...what if we totally reconfigured the closet, entrance to room and created a very small ensuite...ideas?

Because of the windows, I don't see an alternative bed location, unless it's centered, which she doesn't like.

• Emily Jowers
    hace 7 años

I don't think you could fit a toilet in a separate ensuite for her. I did draw up a plan where you enter from the bedroom, but you still have to share the toilet. I'll try with the extra closet space though. Is the closet about 2'?

• calidesign
    hace 7 años

You absolutely don't need three sinks. What you will need is countertop space along the sinks, which is way more important. Those trough sinks are ridiculous, and leave no room for curling irons, hair dryers, makeup, lotions, etc. I would try to design something that has a separate shower, separate toilet, and common area with two sinks and countertop space. And try to utilize wall niches where you can for extra storage spaces. You may only have 4 more years of all three sharing, also.

• keenplanner
    hace 7 años

having a separate water closet accessible from the hall would allow more than one person to use the BR at once.

parker10302 agradeció a keenplanner
  • parker10302
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Emily...yes it's 22" deep

Thank you cali...four...more...years!

• Barbara Almandarz
    hace 7 años

Consider what the girls prefer. I think in the long run they'd prefer to have 2 toilets; and lots of counter space rather than a tub. In that case I'd opt for 2 identical bathrooms; 2 toilets; 2 showers; 4 sinks. That will take them through their teen years and beyond. I'd put a wall down the center of the space. I'd run the sink/counters along the 2 - 82" walls on the far sides of the space. I'd put the largest shower stall you can fit along the windowed wall and the new center wall, and the toilet "room" between the hallway wall and the side of the shower. I'd put in a pocket door to the toilet "room" and a barn door to each of the bathroom. These types of doors don't need as much clearance. Good luck!

parker10302 agradeció a Barbara Almandarz
  • parker10302
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

would this be feasible?

• parker10302
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thank you Barbara. We'll consider that. My youngest is just four, so I hate to lose the tub, however I'm hoping to fit one in the master, in which case she can have a bath in mommy and daddy's room.

• PRO
    Anna Gratia Studia
    hace 7 años

Nothing is ridiculous when you MUST meet the needs of your kids! Agree with Barbara, 2 bathrooms is definitely the solution. You can also sacrifice some space of one of the bedroom/rooms next to the bathroom. Do you have a complete plan of your house/apartment?

• Emily Jowers
    hace 7 años

If they all need to shower in the morning, you definitely want two showers/baths, but if they don't then the jack-and-jill with shower between would work well. I drew up something similar to your solution. You'd want a corner shower with the door on the diagonal, but it would work. You could put the vanity across, but the door needs to be at the bottom of the wall to accommodate the relocated closet and the shower would need to be much thinner, which would probably make it too small, so this seems like the best option. There's a bit of wiggle room as you can see the two girl's bath room is longer than the tub (which is standard size), so you could move it around a bit. I actually agree that three sinks is unnecessary. You don't use the sink for very long in the bathroom. If it was mine, I would replace one of the sinks in the double vanity with counter space.

parker10302 agradeció a Emily Jowers
  • parker10302
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Anna...I do have the complete plan, however it's not completely updated with the changes we've made in the last ten years! I'll try and fix it and post it.

Emily: I like it a lot! This gives us three separate spaces to be used simultaneously if needed. Jury is out on the double sink, as I agree, I prefer the counter space.

• Emily Jowers
    hace 7 años

I think the only drawback is that the single bedroom gets a little bit smaller, but that area likely couldn't be used before anyways because of the closet doors, so it's probably fine. It's also a smaller space than they are all used to in the bathroom, but if they prefer privacy to roominess then its worth it.

• D M
    hace 7 años

I like both of Emily's plans!

• Emily Jowers
    hace 7 años

Oh you should probably check if there are any rules about how big a water closet has to be.

• gtcircus
    hace 7 años
    Here is an idea
  • User
    hace 7 años
    Here's my idea
  • User
    hace 7 años
    Oops
  • User
    hace 7 años
    And another
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.