Houzz Logo Print
jen_gulak

Living room-mixing woods

J. Mc
hace 7 años

Does this coffee table look too dark against the light fireplace, rug and lamp?

Comentarios (23)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 7 años

The scale is off to me, but can we see more of the room? Is that a floor lamp? Pictures above fireplace are too small and will be out of scale to the fireplace. So, yes, coffee table is too big for the room, from what I can see. Could you take more photos from as far back as you can so we can see some adjoining spaces? that would help figure out how best to utilize existing pieces and what needs to be modified.

• J. Mc
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

I will have to take another better photo tomorrow during the day. It's dark now and the room has poor lighting. I totally agree with you about the picture, it's just there temporarily. I am on the search for the right piece, just haven't found it yet!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 7 años

Sure, np. I'll check back tomorrow. Have you searched for art on etsy.com. Great source for good art at a wide range of pricing and different mediums.

• groveraxle
    hace 7 años

Your rug should probably be centered on the fireplace. The way you have it throws the arrangement off balance. If you had a larger rug, you could move it farther from the sofa, avoid busting your shins, and then the table would probably work.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 7 años

That is kinda why I asked for more photos because I am wondering about the whole arrangement. Tomorrow.

• PRO
    Mint Kitchen Group
    hace 7 años

Beautiful fireplace!

• J. Mc
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Love it groveraxle!! What a difference. Thx! The room is actually more gray. I will be posting a better pic once sun comes up!

• J. Mc
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

• J. Mc
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Very dark but gives you an idea of layout...

• groveraxle
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

OK, J. McD, before you do anything else, let's try a little experiment. I want you to center the rug on the fireplace, then center the coffee table on the rug, then pull both sofas up so they are 18 - 24" inches from the coffee table. (For the moment, move the chair out of the room since I don't think it's going to fit with this arrangement.) Then take another photo from the same vantage point as the first photo you posted today, or maybe a little further back so we can see the full opening into the room.

And you're right; the room is a lot less brown in the light. ;-)

• J. Mc
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Will do tonight! Thank you :) I did just buy the rug last week so would love to still use it!

• groveraxle
    hace 7 años

Maybe if you just bought it so recently, you can still return it? I think it's gonna be too small, but we'll see when you rearrange.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 7 años

I hate to say it J.McD but the rug is too darn small! Groveraxle is being kind. Is it hides? Looks great, just needs to be about a foot longer and wider. I've seen those everywhere so I think you can get one the right size. It should be a little longer than your longest sofa and 24" wider to accommodate getting it under the legs of the furniture and 18" leg room between the edge of sofa and the table top. If you can't return it, then we need to find a sisal inexpensive one, that you can lay under this one and make this one a "layer" so you get the overall right look.

J. Mc agradeció a Flo Mangan
  • J. Mc
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

I feel like this looks much better!! Thx for all your help ladies.

• groveraxle
    hace 7 años

J. McD, it is a definite improvement, but the rug really is too small. And I wonder if we might do something with that vase of sticks? BTW, is this a room you actually use? I'm guessing just for entertaining.

• J. Mc
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Do you mean get rid of the vase of sticks? lol. What would you suggest putting in that space? It is our formal living room but we use it daily to just sit and relax by the fire.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 7 años

I would get a live tall Fig Plant, nice and shiny green. I think you can still pull the two sofas closer to the coffee table. Then perhaps the pot without sticks could go to the right of the fireplace. I take it you can't get a larger rug? How about the "layering" concept. Cisal rugs are quite inexpensive and would work well under this one to give it a bit more "size".

J. Mc agradeció a Flo Mangan
  • groveraxle
    hace 7 años

My goal is to get everyone to hang their art correctly and to stamp out vases of sticks. A bigger rug would tie the whole room together better. I've replaced the sticks with a REAL plant, and hung your art, then hung a second piece of art that's a better size and aspect ratio:

J. Mc agradeció a groveraxle
  • J. Mc
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Wow! That looks amazing! I haven't hung the art because I do plan to replace it when I find the right piece. I'm going to try to exchange the rug in a larger one on Friday :)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 7 años

And you thought you were done! Not with this gang! lol

• J. Mc
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Haha! Well all of your help and input is much appreciated :)

• 111ideahound
    hace 7 años

That second rendering is awesome.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.