Houzz Logo Print
webuser_95696

Exterior color palette for modern prairie style new build?

Kel Kel
hace 7 años
Hi! We are building what we are calling a 'modern prairie style' in the Midwest. We are in an older, established, treed neighborhood, consisting mostly of 1950s ranches and the occasional teardown/new build. We are planning to include stained cedar siding, natural stone and stucco - would welcome any ideas for color palette! We are drawn to grays, but don't want to go too cool. Attached is a rendering of the house and a photo of the stone that we like - it has both buff and gray/blue in it. Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Comentarios (30)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 7 años

I would not call that a modern prairie style in the last pic so not sure why that was there I would be careful with too many different finishes on the exterior to get some good ideas google modern prairie homes

• Lori East
    hace 7 años
    Patricia, I believe the last picture is a representation of the stone they plan to use....
  • Kel Kel
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Yes, that's exactly right. Our house is just the rendering in the top photo. Bottom photo just shows stone we like on someone else's house. Thanks for the inout, I'll definitely keep googling. Just curious, do you think cedar, stone and stucco/trim is getting to be too many materials? I'm thinking we should keep trim/stucco colors close to the stone color. Thanks!
  • emmarene9
    hace 7 años

Please reconsider the roof lines. They are so inappropriate for a Prairie Style house.

• Kel Kel
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Emmarene - while I appreciate feedback, that is a pretty strong statement. Would you mind expanding? Only the top rendering is our home - the bottoms one(s) are not.
  • Kel Kel
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    I don't know how to edit my original post, otherwise I would delete any reference to prairie style - I was simply looking for input on color schemes, regardless of what you call the style.
  • PRO
    Onesta Construction
    hace 7 años

I think the roof lines are perfect for Prairie Style, exactly as they should be... As for the color palette, I am a huge fan of Sherwin Williams new color of the year, Poised Taupe. This is a color that works well with browns and grays. Take a look at the Cornflower Hues as well to mix with Poised Taupe.

• Kris Mays
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

That house is going to be a PITA/expensive to build. I hope your pocketbook is ready.

Colors, stick with earth tone colors, as they did with the stone in that photo. I wouldn't go gray unless it's very, very warm.

• Kel Kel
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    One star construction - thank you for your feedback & color suggestions, love the poised taupe!
    Kris - thanks for the color feedback as well! I had to google what PITA meant, LOL! We're ready.
  • chiflipper
    hace 7 años

Whomever designed your home is "roof crazy". Adding many roof angles is no substitute for good design. Sorry to be harsh...but it's true.

• emmarene9
    hace 7 años

Frank Lloyd Wright said that part of the Prairie look was to be, "trimmed to the last ounce of the superfluous." When I saw your image I asked myself why the superfluous roof angles, then I remembered the quotation. That is what I was referring to. As you have amended to say that Prairie is not your goal, it is now irrelevant.

• Kel Kel
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    I never said prairie wasn't my goal. I said it wasn't relevant to this post. We are perfectly delighted with our design and our architects and that's what matters. Thanks to all who have provided productive feedback regarding exterior color palette!
  • Kel Kel
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    I am saddened by the fact that I can't get feedback on color without harsh criticism of our design - which is not changing. We love our design, that's what is important. I'll look elsewhere for color feedback.
  • calidesign
    hace 7 años

Your house is lovely. I think you are right to keep the trim and stucco colors very close, since the cedar and stone will provide interest. I would stick to natural earth colors though, rather than the gray tones. Cedar would look great with a cream/tan stone and either taupes, tans, sage greens, or olive greens. Remember to think about your roof color also. You will have less color options so start with that - maybe a dark brown.

• Kris Mays
    hace 7 años

Don't be saddened, Kel. It is out of concern that we mention your roofline. It is costly and not in keeping with a Prairie home. No one wants you to waste your money. When you ask for advice here, you get advice. Just take the meat and leave the bones.

• chiflipper
    hace 7 años

Kel, a simpler roof would give you tens of thousands of dollars to spend on higher end interior finishes.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    hace 7 años

Look for Gonyea homes for inspiration

Exterior – O'Donnell Woods – 2014 Contemporary Suburban Home · Más información

• Kel Kel
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Celery girl - thank you! That looks right up our alley!
    Regarding the roof: Roofline is not changing. Framing is underway. The roofline is a result of our floorplan, desire for hip roof and we are pleased with the way it looks. We know what it costs and we have budgeted for it.
  • Kel Kel
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Kris Mays - I get what you are saying. I'll take the advice that is meaningful and relevant. I asked for advice on exterior color specifically - I didn't expect to get unsolicited critique on architecture, style name semantics & budget.
  • Kris Mays
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

You'll get it all here. We're a one stop shop.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    hace 7 años

Color pallet for an inspiration!! Love it! Here are stained cedar siding, natural stone and stucco that you are going to have.

Portland, OR Northwest Modern II · Más información

• Emily Jowers
    hace 7 años
    The home celerygirl posted is beautiful but I'm not sure how the cedar siding would fit in with the color palette. Here are some images I found. My personal favorite is the green one with the bright cedar siding. The one with the round rock was posted for the color and roof. I don't think the round rock would look good all the way up the wall, though it's cool at the bottom. There are two grays and two different wood tones. I lighter gray goes better with the lighter cedar.
  • Wendy
    hace 7 años
    Kel kel, I forgot to ask. Do you need the stucco? Perhaps stick to siding and stone to simplify? Just an additional thought.
  • Emily Jowers
    hace 7 años

I like wanjess' house. It pulls the wood in on the trim instead of with siding.

• Wendy
    hace 7 años
    The siding is Hardy plank and their faux wood stains aren't very realistic, so we stipulated to cedar on trim only and painted the hardy.
  • Kel Kel
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Celerygirl, Emily, wanjess, I am loving the photos and ideas, thank you! The cedar as just the trim looks so cool! We're still flexible on our materials, so I've got lots to think about! :)
  • Robert Grace
    hace 3 años

Hi Kel Kel, we are in a similar situation to yours a few years ago. We have the design rendering and are not sure what materials and colours to use. We are also thinking stone/brick with cedar and stucco panels. I would love to see how your house turned out and any advice on how we should finish our exterior. I have been told that our design is modern prairie style.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thank you

• emmarene9
    hace 3 años

@Robert Grace you will get better response if you make your own post. You can also post it in the Building A Home Forum

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/building-a-home

• geegess
    hace 3 años

Kel Kel - I would love to see your final color palette! Please post pics. Thanks!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.