Houzz Logo Print
sagepassivebuildings

Energy efficient design

sagepassivebuildings
hace 7 años
última modificación:hace 6 años

How important is energy efficiency and the inside temperature of your home to you? Is it something you consider when starting a new home or renovation project?

Comentarios (26)

• oklouise
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

energy efficiency is very important because it includes climate, orientation, size, building materials, windows, number of occupants etc etc etc. Energy efficiency isn't just about saving on bills is about comfort and liveability and will mean that the exact same house built at a different addresses can have completely different levels of comfort and running costs.

• macyjean
    hace 7 años

"Energy efficiency isn't just about saving on bills is about comfort and liveability"

I have been in display homes with a good energy rating on paper which were very uncomfortable. It should be possible to achieve the rating and the cost savings AND be comfortable.

• PRO
    anewhouse.com.au
    hace 7 años

In both my last two homes energy efficiency has been one of the main design considerations.

• sagepassivebuildings
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Ok if energy efficiency and comfort are important how do you approach it?

Have you brought it up with a designer or do you expect it to be considered automatically?

I agree that relying on star ratings alone is risky and often an expensive bandaid solution. But I'm curious how many people actively seek out houses that are well designed for comfort and efficiency.
  • oklouise
    hace 7 años

i expect it to be considered automatically and also discuss with our draftsman, builders and tradesmen. Recently looking at homes to buy, both in cold parts of NSW and far Nth Queensland we won't consider a property that doesn't already follow basic rules eg where does the winter sunshine penetrate the house (not "facing north" which can mean nothing to comfortable living) shelter from wind and noise, summer shade and potential to improve etc etc It's surprising how ideal orientation is still ignored in some new builds when that's one of the easiest things to achieve and well known to my dad who was building in the 1950's...We'd like to try reverse brick veneer with insulated steel cladding for a new build (small bush cottage) but we're having difficulty convincing a builder and bricklayer who'd prefer to go with more familiar brick veneer, but they're coming around

• jmm1837
    hace 7 años

Well, I am all for energy efficiency but sometimes there's a trade off. Our new house was built on a town block that had previously had a house on it which was torn down and replaced with two new houses. The orientation is not ideal - our part of the original block is very small and there was simply no way of designing a house that would fit on an ideal axis. So, bit of a loss of efficiency there.

On the other hand, the designer did the best he could to put the windows in places that worked with the kooky orientation, so the house is pretty comfortable most of the time. We also have good insulation, efficient heating/cooling systems, and a decent star rating.

The thing is, what we lost in efficiency because of the orientation of the house, we more than made up for because we're right in town, and can walk to supermarkets and shops, so we make much less use of the car than we did in our previous home, which was beautifully oriented for maximum energy efficiency, but which was 3 km from the nearest shops. So, trade off.

• oklouise
    hace 7 años

congratulations sounds like a successful compromise when you can walk to the shops

• jmm1837
    hace 7 años

I think we have to be realistic about what we look for in houses, and how we assess energy efficiency. And to me, things like being within walking distance of the supermarket (and the doctor) mean a reduction in other costs (and energy expenditure) which need to be taken into account. That said, I'm all in favor of things like proper insulation (my first year in Australia, I was always freezing because the house we lived in wasn't properly insulated - and I'm a Canuck!) And I did expect our builder to take into account all the water and energy efficiencies he could wrest out of the new house.

• sagepassivebuildings
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thanks for your input and in part I agree. We do need to consider energy efficiency outside the home and give credit were credits due, however we cannot design a home specific to the way individuals use it. Chances are you will not be the owner of that home for the full lifespan of the home and the next residents may not be as conscious of their impacts. For that reason we cannot apply credits to the energy efficiency of a home, in terms of its rating, based on behaviours of an individual.

It is good to hear that your designer did try to work with the site as much as possible.

• jmm1837
    hace 7 años

I'm not sure what you're saying there, Sage. If you can't design a home specific to the way individuals use it, perhaps you shouldn't be designing homes at all. Or did I misunderstand your point?

• sagepassivebuildings
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

No that's not what I'm saying - I'm saying you can't only design a house for the immediate individual using it. The house must be designed and built to best practices to ensure it is future-proofed for the next set of residents. The "but it's my house and I'll do what I want" mentality isn't good enough. The house will most likely still be there long after your gone and still needs to perform as well then as it does now.

• jmm1837
    hace 7 años

Ok, got it. But I have to say, if a designer tells me I have to
    compromise on what I want now because of someone who might live in the
    house in 20 years, when materials and design principles will have
    changed, I'm probably going to have reservations about that designer. He
    or she is working for me, not some hypothetical future home buyer.
    Good design, good eco design, are important, but they have to be compatible with what the person building the house wants.

I've lived in a few cities where the authorities decided what people should live in and how they should live - 1960s council housing in Glasgow, 1980s public housing in eastern Europe - and, trust me, those places were nowhere near what people who had a choice would actually want to live in.

By all means, design houses that are as eco friendly as you can, because that's the responsible thing to do, but don't ever forget the comfortable part of the equation, because if the eco-friendly house is unlivable for the average punter, it's a waste of resources.

• sagepassivebuildings
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    I'm curious what inclusion in an Eco house would be uncomfortable to live with? The whole idea of passive design and energy efficiency is to create a more comfortable home. I'm also hard pressed to think of a situation where a designer would not provide a house design based on a clients brief. It is almost always regulations that restrict what you can do with your home. I've had to tell clients (more than once) that they can't build floor to ceiling south facing Windows with standard single glazed aluminium windows, much to their frustration. But the house didn't comply with basic regulations and in reality would have been freezingbto live in!
  • LesleyH
    hace 7 años
    Yes it is not just energy savings. Using Northern windows and with the right eave applied gives you lovely light while southern light is harsh unless a day blind is used. We lived in a rental once where the western sun travelled to the back of a hallway some 12 metres away and was only stopped by a wall. The window even had a 1500mm wide verandah.
  • LesleyH
    hace 7 años
    I think designers can have everything they want in their own homes using their own money but the final decision must remain with the person paying for it provided it meets code requirements and energy assessments. You can try to convince clients gently but in the end it is their decision.
  • User
    hace 7 años
    Passive design.... Can I give an example?
    I think the best advice you can offer a client is the difference between an area of the home being usable or unusable. For example a verandah facing west will be completely unusable in the peak of summer in the afternoons. In fact it can be so hot that they will do anything to escape that space. So do they intend on using this area at a, b, c, d time of year/ day. You could advise that if they intend on entertaining in afternoons in summer and want their verandah on the west. This area will not be usable and their for how they want to use their home will not be achievable, therefor the brief they're giving you cannot be satisfied. . (Where no shading from adjoining properties or trees is available)
  • User
    hace 7 años
    Just an example. But I think this is the fundamental thing. Can you satisfy the design brief based on how they intend to use the home? Can you guarantee comfort when they are using these areas? If not I would say these areas are unusable and the brief has not been satisfied.
  • sagepassivebuildings
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    I think my question has been a bit skewed. I'm not asking whether "perfect" passive design and specific inclusions should be forced upon clients whether they want it or not. I'm asking whether clients expect their designers to consider passive design to the point where their homes are naturally comfortable. Is that a "given" expectation you have or is it not important to you.
  • User
    hace 7 años
    Naturally I don't think the clients think about this. So I guess it's our job to try and be objective and bring this to their attention.... If you force this on them they are going to go to your competitors. I doubt any client would seek out a passive design company if they were not wanting a completely "perfect" eco friendly home. Unless they're really stupid.... And had no idea what the company they were engaging is all about.
  • sagepassivebuildings
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    In my work I see a lot of designs for other architects and there is little thought that has gone in to maximising northern light access or shading correctly. Not because it couldn't be done on that site, it I'm guessing because it wasn't considered in the design phase. These houses rarely comply with energy ratings without expensive Windows added or other "add-ons". What I want to find out is whether clients expect all designers to at least include a basic level of passive design in their planning.
  • User
    hace 7 años
    Yes.... A lot just choose the DTS method
  • LesleyH
    hace 7 años

Yes I would expect all designers and architects to have the ability to incorporate and promote the benefits of passive design. in this way. I think Koule' Krayon sums up the approach very well.

• PRO
    anewhouse.com.au
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

One of the biggest impediments to good passive design is choosing the wrong block.

Not only do developers generally have ordinary placement but they 'market' bad blocks as though they are a premium location.

This link North Facing Block is a good example.

sagepassivebuildings agradeció a anewhouse.com.au
  • sagepassivebuildings
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Apologies for the delay in reply. This post was for my own interest and research for the blog that I write. (Www.sagepassivehome.com) In my work I see a lot of projects that barely meet compliance, or require additional construction costs to meet compliance. It's not always due to site restrictions, it's often just the way the house has been designed and a lack of attention to passive design. I was interested to hear the clients side of the picture.
  • PRO
    SUCH DEvelopments
    hace 7 años

Just found your post

My name is Ian Cleland of SUCH Developments

I have been involved in designing and building passive/energy efficient building since the late 70's. Three years ago SUCH Developments decided to take it to the next level. That not be building one at a time but hundreds

Images: Top image a home prefabrication plant that will be located on the North Coast of NSW. The other two are SUCH developments. A nine apartment development and 50 apartment/retail and commercial development that includes a business/community hub a theatre/education centre and an 1850m2 community garden.

Each development will be high energy efficient passive house buildings. SUCH certification will LBC 3.1 (Living Building Challenge) All developments will include an integrated energy system that includes PV, batteries, ground sourced heat pump (geothermal). The larger developments will also be considering tri-gen that captures waste heat. We will also be working with local community energy companies that will in the longer term be considering setting up a micro-grid.

There will be a formal launch of SUCH Developments projects at the end of June 2017

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.