Houzz Logo Print
sevans_17

Kitchen help

Sarah Peterson
hace 11 años
I feel like I'm in a cardboard box. The walls and ceiling are wood. We would like to paint it to open it up. But the catch is the counter tops, red, without a scratch in them. Sorry about the terrible pictures.

Comentarios (37)

• PRO
    Dytecture
    hace 11 años
    agreed, painted white panelling would be a good solution.
  • Conversaciones relacionadas

Need help on new coverings for chairs and banquet seating .

Q

(1) comentarios
    Hello Janice. I understand you already own the furniture and you wish to reupholster them or dress them, is it correct? Could you send us a picture of your space, so we can give more accurate ideas? Thanks :)
    ...Ver más

Pls help with floor plan design

Q

(0) comentarios
    Gm everybody, My wife and me are trying to design our new kitchen, and we are a bit concern about its location in the house. This is a DIY project, so we are looking for opinions. As you can see in the picture, we are creating the kitchen room at the left bottom side and keeping a garden at the left upper. Our first idea was to locate the kitchen close to the living door (upper in the picture) but we would like to mantain the garden. Thanks in advance for any kind of help!! Rodri
    ...Ver más

HOW TO COVER A KITCHEN DUCT VENT

Q

(2) comentarios
    Hola SARAH: I've never seen those kind of vents. It's not that they look bad. They are simply strangers, but as CECILIA tells you, they will be valid in an industrial concept, as the photo joint shown. It's not a romantic atmosphere, nor for art lovers. It's just a little ugly.
    ...Ver más

The integration of elements complement each other

Q

(1) comentarios
    In this dissertation, we are warned that to renovate a house, so that everyone sarisfecho sits down, it is enough to make some partial feforms and maintain everything that contributes to the personality of the home. If we make such a total change, affecting everything previously existing, it is clear that our home, we cannot feel it easily like ours.
    ...Ver más
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    hace 11 años
    I wouldn't paint- it is sooo cute. I think some white curtains would really go a long way. Add an area rug and it will change the whole room. Consider taking a couple of the upper doors off completely and painting the back of the cabinets white. Paint the back splash white- it doesn't look like there is tile or add white ceramic subway tile. A cute drum light over the table and some mostly white art work.
    Beautiful Red Curtains · Más información
    Plums Kitchen Art Print by Anek · Más información
    Mat The Basics Valparaiso White Rug · Más información
    Polished Chrome Cup Pull · Más información
    Young House Love Metal Strap Drum Pendant · Más información
  • User
    hace 11 años
    Another vote for all white. Are the cabinets mostly flat front? That helps.
    http://houzz.com/photos/2041975
  • PRO
    CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
    hace 11 años
    I'm watching This old house right now and they said that home depot has a kit for people who want to paint their wood cabinets....with directions!
  • Emily H
    hace 11 años
    I think it would look great painted out white. I want to see after pics!
  • PRO
    Tres McKinney Design
    hace 11 años
    I third the vote to paint the paneling and and all the cabinetry white. Change the cabinet hardware and add red accents. It will make the room feel so much larger and brighter. You can take the design in a country, mid century or bistro style direction with the red counters. If there is room I would replace the counter and chairs with a narrow table next to the wall with two chairs facing the wall and a chair at each end of the table. Add a fun chandelier or pair of pendants over the table and put a large framed poster, painting or mirror on the wall where he clock is. You will have a cheery bright space before you know it.
  • User
    hace 11 años
    Benjamin Moore Dove White
  • PRO
    Joyce A. Zuelke,ckd
    hace 11 años
    Absolutely! White! maybe take some cabinet doors off and paint the interior backs red!
  • eeyberg
    hace 11 años
    Oooh! paint the wood white and change the cabinet hardware. then do the floors with retro white/red checkerboard linoleum tiles!
  • pcmom1
    hace 11 años
    That back wall would look great with a collection of plates or a large bold painting of something related to eating or drinking.
  • pitbulls
    hace 11 años
    I would leave the paneled wall alone.Paint the cabinets white,add new cabinet hardware.The floor is very busy.If you could change the flooring it would make a big difference.Cute
  • handymam
    hace 11 años
    I love your stove! You have a nice little retro look going on here! I would paint all of the cabinets white and paint the walls/wood a butter yellow. I think a solid color runner on the floor would make you be able to leave the floor until you choose to replace it. You could add a little fabric curtain next to the stove to hide whatever is back there, totlaly keeping with the retro look.

Sarah, do you eat at the "bar" area where the chairs are? You could add a shelf or two that spans the whole width and place all your kitchen collectibles up there. If you have another place to eat, you could make that whole area into a cupboard by adding shelves up top and doors below.
  • PRO
    Mottles Murals Ceramic Tiles
    hace 11 años
    The house I in which I was raised was built by my father in 1953. It had that same red counter top with the metal trim. That memory brings back many scenarios of my brother and I sneaking food with out leaving any crumbs or evidence on the counter top. Mom was very alert. :) I think all of the above comments are wonderful ideas. If I were you I would start with the cupboards and then see what a difference that makes before painting any more of the wood. One suggestion is to strip the varnish off the wood and ceilings and refinish with a lighter varnish or stain. Good luck!
  • PRO
    Kitchen & Bath Concepts
    hace 11 años
    We would suggest painting the cabinets a warm white color. Two-toned kitchens are very popular right now especially when combining wood and painted white cabinetry. Adding stainless steel or brush nickel pulls will update the look from the wood knobs. Before you know it your "cardboard castle" will feel like a 21st century space!
  • qam999
    hace 11 años
    Floors and countertops can both be replaced. For such a small kitchen it will not be too expensive.
  • Mary Loy
    hace 11 años
    There are solutions to the flooring that I see as an easy fix to DIY. They are called loose lay. You can get them in many designs, even a wood floor look. They are in easy sweep vinyl. There are others that are in carpet squares also if you have a space that gets a lot of traffic. You just lay them down, and don't try to match patterns. That is their secret. Ask your flooring expert for directions. These are only stuck to the existing floor with double stick tape at the corners. There are also back splashes for the stove/oven area. These are in smooth or patterned finishes. A chrome or aluminum look would go well with your trim on the counter tops. These go up with easy double stick tape! I agree to paint the cabinets or go to your closest Lowe's/ Home Depot. For the time and effort of painting, you can put in new. There are many that can be ordered on line through Lowe's/Home Depot. You did not say if you were on a tight budget or not and if you need to find a more affordable cabinet set there are many stores around the country that are Habitat Restore's. My local one has full kitchen sets of cabinets that are still in excellent condition. Do not paint the interior of the cabinets in red. Always paint the interior of cabinets in white, or you will need a flashlight to see what is in your cabinets. Take the mirror that you have beside the refrigerator and find a place for it on a wall horizontally even if you have to put it high on an opposite wall of the windows. Mirrors reflect the outdoor light and make a room appear larger. There are also ceiling tiles that are light weight just like the backsplash for the stove. You can cover the ceiling in the chrome or aluminum tiles and really brighten the room. These go up with double stick tape and really add to the interest in a room.
  • natejess22
    hace 11 años
    I would look into refinishing the counter tops. Lowes has a couple of things that can give you a granite look with paint!
  • libradesigneye
    hace 11 años
    SP - with a wood ceiling, painted walls and cabinets are going to make that red liveable / charming even. White cabinets, definitely and trim at window. I would do the walls a contrast after i spray primed all. I see a cornstraw or pale honey (behr color) with burlap / chicken wire baskets, french country linens. Your local big box has peel and stick options for an updated floor - even white finish wood plank if you can bear more wood. Stick with the counters - they kind of rock!
  • pcmom1
    hace 11 años
    I love your retro counter top. Goes with your stove. :)
  • PRO
    Lisette Young Interiors
    hace 11 años
    Hi Sarah! I painted over lots wood paneling for a rental home "redesign" and the change was pretty dramatic. It really brightened up the space...Made it feel more open and airy. Although I would leave that back wall alone. It looks so neat and interesting...you can really play with it! Anyway if youre curious, you can find before and after pics on my blog http://lisettelanuzayoung.wordpress.com/ Just remember...PRIMER PRIMER PRIMER lol
  • PRO
    Lisette Young Interiors
    hace 11 años
    Sorry Sarah- Im new to using Houzz and realized Im not able to edit comments once submitted. Here's a direct link to that post: http://lisettelanuzayoung.wordpress.com/2013/03/27/rental-backhouse-redesign/ Good luck!
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    hace 11 años
    Lisette, you can edit your comments- just click on the little edit pencil to the top right of your post
  • PRO
    Lisette Young Interiors
    hace 11 años
    Hi Kelly! Thanks! I tried to do that but I guess my little pencils broken? I mustve not done it right lol
  • PRO
    Michael Schilling Design
    hace 11 años
    So many great suggestions!

I agree that painting the cabinetry and the knotty pine paneling is the way to go. Use the counters to your advantage by finding red accents (cabinetry hardware, a red Kitchen Aide mixer, etc.).

If you're able to remove the counter/table where the chairs are, a cafe table or gate leg table would help to open the space as well.

Marmoleum ( http://www.forboflooringna.com/Residential-Flooring/Products/Marmoleum-sheet-tile/) would be a great choice for the floor (both eco-friendly and economical).

Good luck!
  • Geraldine Jordan
    hace 11 años
    We just had our kitchen and joining family room redone. We had dark wood cabinets, and dark wood paneling. I too felt like I was in a box. We had to redo our counters too, but we did our cabinets in white and painted our paneling and it has opened everything up and brightened it up beautifully.
  • gypsyrose17
    hace 11 años
    I would be tempted to take down the dark cornices (or paint them white) and paint the wall with the table with whitewash, then paint just the cupboard shelves white and replace your cabinet knobs and pulls with either red or white ceramic ones. Simple white priscilla curtains on the window. Keep the vintage feel of the room, just lighten it up a little. Take baby steps that are correctable just in case you don't like the outcome.
  • PRO
    Recreate and Decorate
    hace 11 años
    I think if you painted it a light color,( so many whites to choose from) it will make it instantly open up.
  • Inlovewithshoes ...
    hace 11 años
    Red goes with pink and orange nice
  • PRO
    Aegean Design Studio
    hace 11 años
    You've had plenty of great advice, and I'd vote for painting everything white. Here's a photo of our kitchen and I love it
  • PRO
    Design By Pisces
    hace 11 años
    Red and white curtains ,red accessories and tile back splash and paint out the wood to Benjamin Moore Dove White
  • mpoulsom
    hace 11 años
    ok...just as most have said I would paint the cabs white. But I would leave the walls wood and paint the ceiling a light color. Change your hardware. Of course some artwork on that back wall where the chairs are, but one thing that I would do differently is put a large mirror on that paneled wall. Even if you want to make your own. Frame a large mirror to make it look like a window there and build a shallow ledge/shelf at the bottom of it. Put artwork on either side of it. That mirror will make your room look so much larger. You could also do the mirror trick and then put floating shelves on each side of it as well to put artwork or plates or bowls or whatever else you like.
    I would replace the floor as well if that's in the budget.
    Do you have a budget...I may have missed this? There are so many options for a cool floor these days. Low budget and high end of course. But I may try to do a design in the squares with 2 or 3 different colors together. I'll see if I can find a pic for you.
  • mpoulsom
    hace 11 años
    Última modificación: hace 11 años
    Another option would be to paint the cabinets in gray instead of white. Gray would work well with the red and black and yellow too. If you like the checker board floor idea, you can use yellow and white or gray and white. Think outside the box when it comes to the floor!
  • mpoulsom
    hace 11 años
    here are some alternative patterned floors using regular floor tiles...
  • cheries
    hace 11 años
    Here's an idea book with Retro designs, maybe you will see something there you like.
    http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/9438337/thumbs/Retro-Kitchens
  • PRO
    Cozy Casita
    hace 11 años
    I vote for Handyman's color combo of white cabinets and buttery yellow walls., or vice-versa, for a softer, more cozy feel. I think all white schemes sometimes draw a little too much attention to the finish (not always easy to get perfectly finished surfaces when you're painting old cabinets yourself.) You're in luck, though, since painting everything out in white first will give you a good idea as to whether or not you want to add the yellow to the panelling ... and will ensure that you have great coverage over the, now white, wood panelling ! Knowing what kind of feel you want to go for .. how modern, retro or cottagey you want to be, depends a lot on what you've done/are doing with the rest of your house, though. What kind of house do you live in ? Is it a cabin ? Or is the panelling restricted to your kitchen area only ?
  • PRO
    Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
    hace 11 años
    We went with white cabinets and butter yellow walls in our Kitchen and have been living with that for 12 years now! Timeless look never get tired of it!
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.