Houzz Logo Print
ruhappy69

What color to stain the new stairs/railings?

Victor
hace 11 años
This weekend I plan on tackling this project and was thinking about stain color. The 2 pics below show the new floor and the railings. The family room (not connected to the area I'm staining) will have Minwax English Chestnut floor stain. I was thinking of going with that for the stairs and railing as well. Any thoughts??

Comentarios (10)

• Victor
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Balusters and railings (and nosing) are Red Oak, stair treads are pine (had to save some money somewhere!)..
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    hace 11 años
    Vic, Keep it in context with the rest of the cabin. I don't remember the relationship of the kitchen island to the stairs...but if they are close, you can play one off the other. Otherwise, tie the oak in to the chestnut logs with stain and finish. Treads go flooring stain? Just my opinion!
  • Jayme H.
    hace 11 años
    Última modificación: hace 11 años
    I agree with tying it in, but also know that pine stains differently than oak...I prob. am repeating that, think I mentioned it in a different dilemma u had. In one home I stained a lot of pine and used a lighter semi-transparent with good results. It can really suck up the stain and get blotchy.
  • Victor
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    So use Red Chestnut (closely matches the existing interior logs) on the railings/bannister but use the English Chestnut on the stairs? Won't that look odd?
  • Victor
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    RJ thank you for responding. The floor is a natural travertine and I'm sure it will be sealed most likely flat? I know, I thought the same thing when I saw the traditional Baluster and spindles... Not crazy about it but I guess it's fine. My head is spinning on what I should do.. I'm open to anything but I just don't want to guess wrong..
  • PRO
    R J Hoppe Inc
    hace 11 años
    My opinion... :)

Pop and blend. Paint spindles, risers, stair stringers white or warm white not cool tone. Stain with a light warm brown stain ipswitch pine etc then clear coat top hand rail stair hand rail and balusters. That should tie into the travertine. Stair treads threshhold at top of stairs and stairwell wood cap same as downstairs, English Cheastnut? if I remember correctly.
  • PRO
    CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
    hace 11 años
    I like dark -even with the light floors. I like a walnut. Red oak is an ugly wood-turns way too orange. The smarter investment is White Oak which stains a nice blonde with far less red & sadly orange tones in it after it oxidizes in the sun. Also walnut hardly costs more these days and its so much richer and more high end and has a better range in staining. Buyers do not want to see any red oak in homes these days. All my clients with red oak rip it out or end up staining it dark to get away from the orange. It doesn't go with a lot of the color schemes they want to create in the home.
  • PRO
    Interiors International, Inc.
    hace 11 años
    You do have a lot of wood already. I would choose one of those.
  • PRO
    Timeless By Color
    hace 11 años
    Timeless By Color I have to agree with RJHoppe Inc. Contrast would pop. I was thinking the same thing.. paint the spindles white, then stain a darker version of Chestnut, nice and deep if you can mix it yourself for a great contrast on the hand rail and post!
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.