Houzz Logo Print
drewnall

Stair nose doesn't match stairs

Mrfourpointo
hace 7 años

I just installed over 2,000 sqft of flooring and the "matching" stair nose from the manufacturer does not match the flooring - at all. The floors are the Cotswolds from the Castlecombe series manufactured by US Floors. The floors are gorgeous, but the stair nose just isn't close. The stain is different, the distressing is different, and the finish is different (oil finished floor and urethane finish stair nose). Can anyone recommend a company to custom match stair nose? The flooring is heavily distressed, which is complicating things

Comentarios (14)

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    hace 7 años

This is going to be very difficult to match. You might want to contact the manufacturer to see if they have a DARKER nose. A perfect match (with the distressed look and the oil finish) is almost impossible. I say almost. If you throw enough money at this (thousands and thousands more to the normal price for nosing) and you find the HIGHEST LEVEL custom nosing producer in your area, you can get a match. The nosing would be almost the same price as the floor. I kid you not.

I know the nose isn't a perfect match...but it is very, very, very close in colour (I know the gloss and the texture are not identical). To help disguise the mismatch, you might be able to work with a DARKER nose. This allows a different sheen/texture to "work" without being distracting.

Different coloured nosing can be used as a decorative accent - sometimes matched to stringers or banisters or to spindles. I would have a look at darker if you can't manage to accept the manufacturers recommended nosing for this floor.

Good luck.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    hace 7 años

Have you contacted the manufacturer? This is different enough that it could be a case of a mislabelled box.

• Mrfourpointo
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

The retailer contacted the manufacturer and was told that they were the correct stair nose. Each piece of molding also had individual labels on the back that were the correct flooring. I have already returned the moldings, but I am considering re-ordering to see if a different batch comes in closer.

I am not afraid to throw some money at this (the stairs are a prominent feature in the house), but I have a hard time believing that 16 customer stair nose moldings would cost tens of thousands of dollars. The manufacturer did supply me with the color code for the oil stain and finish, it's just the distressing that is apparently harder to match.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    hace 7 años

Well, realistically it will naturally become distressed, and probably sooner than you would hope! If you can match the colour and finish would that be good enough for you? Your brain will adjust and blend them into the tread very quickly, too.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 7 años

When you can't get a perfect match, it may be better to contrast.

• PRO
    Gray & Walter, Ltd.
    hace 7 años

Consult with your general contractor, I am certain they can lead you in the right direction. If you are not working with a GC then I recommend you vet one and work with them to resolve this issue. Good luck with this issue.

• PRO
    SRD Construction & Development Corp.
    hace 7 años

Stand firm with you position. The woods don't even look like the same species. I recommend contacting the product representative. You will get a much better response from the rep than you will from the company selling the product. If you don't have any luck with the rep find a wood flooring company that installs finished in place wood floors, usually they will have the skill set to try and replicate the look you are after. I have to warn you, the distressed wood will be very difficult to reproduce. Good luck.

• mrscollie
    hace 7 años
    This happened to me. My floor installer and company I had ordered from sent someone out to match it. Hold them accountable or at least ask for a referral.
  • ycity
    hace 7 años
    We have the same issue in our house. Manufacturer Nosing doesn't match floors. In retrospect, we should have installed solid oak stair treads and then gotten an expert stainer.
  • creativepnw
    hace 7 años
    We are having the same issue, different manufacturer.
  • creativepnw
    hace 7 años
    Flooring on left, nosing on right.
  • PRO
    Bill's Creative Carpentry, Custom Builder
    hace 7 años
    Just an idea, but if u have any left take a piece and route the profile on edge, ask flooring company for stain, should be able to match that way.
  • Mrfourpointo
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

I ended up deciding to not use the flooring for the stairs. After exhaustive research, I determined it will be better and more durable in the long run anyway. I am using solid treads and matching the color, but not the texture/distressing of the floors. I will use this same color for the doors, casings, and baseboards. I was able to get a refund for all of the stairnose. I'll provide some pictures when the stairs are done.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.