Houzz Logo Print
1gofishing

Appropriate sink size?

1gofishing
hace 7 años

What would the appropriate sink size be for a 36" cabinet base? We will just be doing a single bowl undermount sink and I see fang they come in sizes ranging from 28 - 32". If it helps visualize the sink is below a window and there are a set of cabinets on either side. We would have a regular faucet, soap dispenser, and filtered water dispenser at the back of the sink. Thanks in advance for your help!

Comentarios (11)

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    hace 7 años

I would get the largest one that fits..large that fits doesn't look inappropriate..

• sail_away
    hace 7 años

I agree with nicholsworth55 ... love, love my big, single bowl sink. Everything I might want to wash or rinse in the sink fits. One caveat, however---if you lack counter space you may be willing to sacrifice the larger sink in favor of extra counter space. (Just don't go too small.) But if you are okay with the counter space that will be left with the larger sink, definitely go larger.

As a side note, we just had a home built and bought a 32" single bowl SS kitchen sink that is identical to the one we put in our previous home. I've been so happy with it that I wanted the exact sink again. When showing people the house (both before it was finished and after), almost every person had commented on how much they like the sink, and my contractor said some of his subs mentioned liking the sink, as well. Neither the contractor nor I pointed out the sink----people just noticed it on their own.

• 1gofishing
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thank you! May I ask what kind of sink you have?

• practigal
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Not larger than 33" I have the blanco super single and love it. The kohler iron tones smart divide in one of their frosted colors, like sugar cane or sea salt, was my second choice, it is much more bling (also more $$).

• jhmarie
    hace 7 años

It depends on the sink. My Kohler Whitehaven cast iron farmhouse sink is held up in part by the cabinet edges, so I put the Whitehaven 36 (which is slightly smaller than 36") in my 36 " sink base. I assume a carpenter could build up the sides to hold a smaller sink, but I love the large basin.

• Buehl
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Be aware that if you notch/scribe a cabinet to make a sink fit, you will probably void the warranty on that cabinet. So, stick with sink that has a width no wider than the width of your cabinet minus the thickness of two side walls plus 1" or so for wiggle room - this lets the sink fit inside the cabinet and (1) there's no need to notch/scribe and (2) the sink will be installed such that if it fails later, it can be replaced (that doesn't happen often, but still...)

So...

• If your cabinets have 1/2" side walls, than the sink should be no wider than 34": 1/2" thick wall + 34" wide sink + 1/2" thick wall + 1" wiggle room = 36"
    • If your cabinets have 3/4" side walls, than the sink should be no wider than 33.5": 3/4" thick wall + 33.5" wide sink + 3/4" thick wall + 1" wiggle room = 36"

33" will definitely fit - as will 32". I would look for one that's at least 33" wide, if I were you.

If the sink you want is only 28" wide, then I would downsize the sink cabinet to a 31" or 33" sink base. Sink bases generally have the least useful storage - so I'd add those 3" to the another cabinet to gain more useful storage!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    hace 7 años

You can also use a HUSH instead of the clips, which lets you use a larger sink than you could if you used the clips.

• lisadlu16
    hace 7 años

I just installed a 32" sink in a 36" cabinet. I recommend single bowl and as big of a sink that will fit.

• PRO
    Rachiele Custom Sinks
    hace 7 años

I have been a kitchen designer since 1977. The vast majority of 36" sink bases have 34 1/2" of available space inside. I have been a long proponent of single bowl sinks with rear corner drains so you can place a double rollout trash cabinet behind the door opposite the drain. Sink cabinet with trash storage.

• chisue
    hace 7 años

36" cabinet here. 35" big/little sink. (Little is 12" wide.)

I don't want to wash out an entire sink when I rinse a dish; that goes into the small side. I don't want to fill a whole sink to wash a few pots; I wash in the large side.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.