Houzz Logo Print
auryn_gw

Flowers in January for Zone 10

auryn
hace 7 años

Hello Everyone.
I have been searching the posts but not really finding what I am looking for.
Here is the scoop

I am getting married in my parent's garden at the end of January.
As part of a thank you for letting us use their yard we are rebuilding and planting my mom's garden and adding lots of new plants.
I would like to plant flowering plants/bushes that should be in bloom about the time we are getting married- last week of January.
Any suggestions?
we have plenty of space and she is open to anything as long as we dont mess with her bamboo collection.

Thanks in advance

Comentarios (10)

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

The beauty of living in the sub-tropics is that there's always something in bloom. Rather than recommend specific plants that may or may not be in bloom on the day of your wedding, I would suggest you go to your local HD or Lowes a couple of days before your wedding and pick out what you like that's in bloom. Don't plant them, just position the plants where they'll do the best for your wedding photos. Buy enough mulch - pine bark would be best - to hide the cans. Again, the mulch will follow the plants, a bit of cleanup but it's worth it.

You could even buy some palms in nursery cans to use with the flowering plants. 8' Christmas palms are very inexpensive and if you decide not to plant them after the wedding, you can always return them.

Congratulations on your wedding, make sure you post some photos here!

• auryn
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thank you for the suggestion

and I will keep it in mind.
    However I have a feeling that a few days before the wedding we are going to be so swamped with things to do that the last thing I will want to do is go to Home Depot and then arrange plants.

Plus this is part of the gift from us to my mom- I want to build her a beautiful garden that will last for long after the ceremony.

• irma_stpete_10a
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

auryn, try this:

http://www.fairchildgarden.org/horticulture/whats-blooming/january

Btw, have you thought of constructing something in your mom's garden like a simple trellis or pergola? Could grow flowering vine(s) on it, and it could outlast most plants, depending on the materials used.

• irma_stpete_10a
    hace 7 años

Some plants take extra time after being replanted, before they bloom. Especially some vines, so beware.

• dirtygardener73
    hace 7 años

Jatropha blooms all year long. I don't know of any other specific flowers that bloom in January, though.

• amberroses
    hace 7 años

Lots of flowers bloom in January, but it is hard to predict what exactly will be blooming on any given day. It is also possible we could get a frost around that time. You can plant roses and cut them back six weeks or so before the wedding to try to time the bloom. I'd get Drift roses. Annuals like pansy bloom in the winter, but you wouldn't want to plant them until after it cools down. I think I'd plant some pretty foliage plants in the garden now, maybe a few roses, and then go get a bunch of annuals right before the wedding.

• PRO
    Chris Diamond Gardening and Horticulture
    hace 7 años

You really need to post pics of the area... without that info there are too many variables at play.

• sharon2079
    hace 7 años

Not sure what part of Florida you are located in, but I purchased some roses from Cool Roses in West Palm Beach. Debbie and Geoff are really nice and could probably help you out. They have roses that grow on own root that does really well in our nematode infested sand, plus they have others that are grown on Fortiuana root stock that will last and last - not like the ones you get from the big box stores. They also have some pretty maitenance free roses that smell divinely. Here is a link to their website.... No matter what other flowers you also get, you should add some roses. http://coolroses.com/

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    hace 7 años

I've been a wedding musician for many years and I think that while it's a great idea to landscape the area for your mom, you still need to plan on adding some potted plants day of, because nothing is that reliable about blooming when you want it. There are services that will rent, deliver, and pick up plants, but they are fairly expensive. I would find a friend who can run out the day before and pick up some extra blooming plants for the ceremony that you could plant afterwards.

I've seen too many weddings planned carefully around something or other being in bloom when the tree/plant/shrub decided not cooperate at the right time.

For instance, I remember a wedding I did which was totally planned around a huge tibouchina in the back yard that had bloomed reliably that month for years. All the colors were coordinated with the blossoms, but we had a cold spell that winter and the tree just didn't flower that year at all.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.