Houzz Logo Print
donnatrus

Help with kitchen renovation layout

donnatrus
hace 7 años

My husband and I have been debating our kitchen remodel layout for a few weeks now. Just bought a 1981 house, took down a wall separating the kitchen from living room a are planning to make a nice open kitchen. We have some challenges though. Not surely sketch is clear enough so I can answer questions. Basically we have a 16' x 13.5' space. We will have two 8' windows meeting in the corner to maximize views, light and air. The windows really limit us with where to put the range. Would love your advice if this layout works! Note the pantry/cabinet wall is shorter than shown (will now line up with peninsula) and we'll switch the pantry with lower and upper cabinets. Thanks in advance!

Comentarios (24)

• practigal
    hace 7 años

Since you have windows on both sides of the corner, depending upon your foundation, it may be possible to move the sink to the other wall then you would be able to maximize the space between the sink and the stove that sink-stove space is usually considered your best prep area. That said, people will tend to lift things over the floor between the sink and stove rather than walk it around over the countertop all the way to the stove

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Lucky you, to have such large windows, but that does present a
    problem when you need wall space. If you could repost with the adjacent
    rooms labeled, and the measurement of the wall behind the pantry, that would help. The fridge wall is drawn at
    13'--are the other 6 inches available, or is there a stub wall? What length? Can the
    plumbing be moved to the fridge wall?
    Thank you.

New to kitchens? Read me first.

• lharpie
    hace 7 años

Agree with practigal. I would put the sink on the other window with the dw to the left if it so it's not in the middle of your prep space. As is the prep space is too small. Make sure the fridge isn't up against a wall or it won't open fully.

• PRO
    Kitchen Cabinet Kings
    hace 7 años

Overall I think this layout is solid. Since you have 36" of coutnertop space from sink to stove, I don't think its necessary to incur additional costs to move sink plumbing to other side, 36" in between stove/sink is sufficient prep space. However, if plumbing lines are not in than that option may make sense.

• Buehl
    hace 7 años

The layout can be so much better! Like Practigal and Lharpie, I recommend moving the sink & DW to the "top" wall. It will...

(1) Give you a better separation of work zones (right now, all three primary zones are stacked right on top of each other with a lot of wasted counterspace elsewhere)

(2) Give you more than the barely adequate 36" of workspace in your Prep Zone (b/w the range and sink)

(3) Get the DW out of the Prep Zone - a huge improvement!

(4) Give you more space around the sink for more than one person to work (e.g., prepping & cleaning up or two people prepping - water is a key component for prepping)

(5) Put the DW closer to dish storage

(6) Allow someone to be cleaning up, unloading the DW, or setting the table w/o getting in the way of others prepping and/or cooking.

• Buehl
    hace 7 años

To help you understand our comments, please see the FAQ threads below.

Kitchen Design FAQ threads - These FAQ threads explain best practices/good design guidelines for items such as work zones, aisles, island/peninsula seating, etc. These threads will help you understand questions/comments you will receive.

Layout Help - FAQ for asking for layout help. It has a sample measured layout as well as a description of the other information we need

Read Me thread - Other, helpful information for using and navigating the Kitchens Forum.

Layout Help:

How do I ask for Layout Help and what information should I include?

Kitchen Design FAQ threads:

Kitchen work zones, what are they?

Aisle widths, walkways, seating overhangs, work and landing space, and others

How do I plan for storage? Types of Storage? What to Store Where?

Ice. Water. Stone. Fire (Looking for layout help? Memorize this first)

New to Kitchens? Read Me First!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    hace 7 años

I was thinking of something different when I asked if the plumbing could be moved. Instead of the peninsula, I drew an island, with 15" deep cabinets and a 15" overhang. A shallow pantry (possibly utilizing the stud bays) leaves 50" for seating. The red box on the island represents an optional 30" drawer for dishes or MW, with the alternate trash location in the green box on the perimeter. Yellow is an optional narrow cabinet for cutting boards and sheet pans.

I based the drawing on 13', but the extra 6" could be added to the 21" cabinets beside the fridge. I drew a 36" sink, but a 33" sink would allow the 21" base cabinet to increase to 24" to house a MW drawer. The 21" upper cabinet/shelf could house a small MW (mine is 19"), but might not work if the 8' window measurement doesn't include the window trim.

The plan also centers the hood and range. Drawback is that the island intersects the path between fridge and sink by a few inches more than the max recommended 12".

Primary prep is the same as in buehl's plan, with secondary prep on the island.

1 square = 6" (click to enlarge)

• practigal
    hace 7 años

Great ideas! I hope OP comes back to read them.

• donnatrus
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

You guys are amazing! Wow. Very helpful. Thank you. Been busy ripping out a ceiling this weekend

So the fridge is placed next to a sliding door in the dining area. So that open space btw pantry wall and fridge is open to dining. The peninsula will separate the kitchen from living/family room.

We thought about an island vs peninsula too but we like the seating facing the fridge wall bc that's our best view (ocean view! Small but it's there!).

Also, we could move the sink and DW. We thought that would spread out the appliances and not have them all on that all. But, we think it might look weird on the range wall to have all that space in front of the window and then the range squeezed in that corner. That's why we thought to have the sink and range both on that wall to balance. Any thoughts on this?

We have lots to decide!

Any other thoughts with this info? Thank you so much!!!

• lharpie
    hace 7 años

I mean I would look at the kitchen as you have it and think, man that looks like a lousy layout to cook in and it could have been so much better. I guess it depends whether you want a kitchen for looks over function. I think that long stretch of counter would look glorious!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    hace 7 años

I don't care for the range in that corner by the peninsula either (which is why I tried a plan to center it on the available wall space), but if that is your only choice, then bueh's plan with the sink on the fridge wall is much more functional than the original plan--for all the reasons she listed.

• donnatrus
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thanks. Yes lack of wall space makes for a less than ideal layout but we are excited to have an open, breezy, light kitchen!

• donnatrus
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Trying to see if my husband will move the sink & DW. Or at least the DW would help. I think.

• Buehl
    hace 7 años

I moved the range as close to the window as I could - you have approx 15" b/w the range and peninsula. Now, if the Kitchen can extend past where the peninsula ends, even 6" or so, it would look and be even better!

Another option you might consider is a range in front of the window but still with an overhead hood. It may or may not be allowed in your municipality. Even if it is, it will probably to be a fixed window that does not open. Personally, I'd rather it was not in front of the window...but you may feel differently.

The layout you had, though, is really not very functional and you have so much wasted and expensive wasted counter space. It's wasted b/c it's not really located such that it would be useful b/c there's either no water or it's too far from the range to be of practical use for prepping. You'll end up trying to prep in that 36" of space with a DW in your way! Definitely not very functional!

So, who cooks the most? Who needs the workspace and would understand the need?

• donnatrus
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

We have a new layout! I think this is more functional. We moved sink and DW. I used sticky notes. Hope you can read this. Let me know your thoughts, please. Thank you for your input!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    hace 7 años

Better, but while you were working on that one, I was working on a plan to keep the plumbing in the current location. :[

I'll post it anyway. The range is closer to the DR, and the fridge is equidistant from DR and LR. The peninsula can be landing for the fridge, and the cabinets beside the fridge could be a snack center with the MW drawer, or that could be a tall pantry, with the MW drawer on the island where you and buehl drew it. There are about the same number of steps between the sink and the fridge, and you prep with the ocean view (and you don't need to move the plumbing.)

• Buehl
    hace 7 años

The Cooking Zone (range) should be the most protected work zone. Moving the range outside the protection of the peninsula and into the path b/w the DR and Kitchen is less than ideal. If you had no other options, it would be one of those "we have no choice" decisions, but that is not the case b/c you do have other, better options - at least in my opinion.

In addition, moving the refrigerator and having landing space (on the peninsula) farther from the sink and possibly the range is not ideal. You also have to cross two through-traffic paths in the Kitchen while carrying items from the refrigerator - the path to/from the DR & Kitchen when going to/from the range and the path to/from the Kitchen & FR/LR when going to to/from the sink.

• Buehl
    hace 7 años

Regarding the new layout - you will need at least 3" of filler b/w the corner and the first cabinet on the range wall as well as 1 to 1.5 inches b/w the wall and the 27" cabinet under the peninsula.

I noticed you have some non-standard cabinet sizes, are your cabinets fully custom? If not, you will have to pay an upcharge to get the non-standard cabinets - and it might not be worth it since adding, for example, an inch to a cabinet would make it standard. E.g., the 32" cabinet on the peninsula - 33" is a standard size. The 20" pantry cabinets are another example.

Oh, and don't forget a trash pullout! With an 18" trash pullout, you can fit two bins - one for trash and one for recycling. I placed it so it was in the Prep Zone but also near the Cleanup and Cooking Zones. Note that the greatest need/use of trash/recycling is during prepping and cooking a meal, and for a longer period of time.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    hace 7 años

There is 6.5' behind the range--plenty of space to pass behind anyone cooking, and hot items won't need to be carried across the kitchen/traffic path to reach the dining room. Also, if the OP plates at the range, that's fewer steps to get the loaded plates to the DR. And the plumbing doesn't need to be changed.

• donnatrus
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thanks very much, mama goose and buehl. Really appreciate the input and experience. Mama goose: we did consider moving our fridge there (for same reason of moving range there; and to not block light/air from slider) but we didn't want the fridge to be in the walkway into the kitchen from the living room. So I think we will move our plumbing and have the sink and DW on the fridge wall. Thanks again! So glad I posted

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    hace 7 años

That's definitely better than the original--good luck with your remodel, and please come back to show us the finished kitchen!

• Buehl
    hace 7 años

True MamaGoose, but it's still in the path. I don't know how wide the doorway is, so I'm more concerned about the range and doorway than I am about the rest. Although, having a 24" cab b/w the range and doorway does help.

Regarding "plating", we do not fix plates ahead of time - serving dishes go to the DR table and the table is set with empty dishes and we serve ourselves at the table, so I don't think about taking loaded dishes to the DR. If that's how the OP serves meals, then it might be a consideration.

Good luck Donnatrus! Keep us posted on your progress!

• donnatrus
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Will do! Thx!

I've just got a quick question about lighting.. Can can/pot lights go directly over countertops since we have mostly windows and few cabinets for under-cabinet lighting? Then we can out a few in the center area? Make sense? Thanks!!

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.