Houzz Logo Print
webuser_6863673

Kitchen taste

Okay, so the cabinets and countertops are staying. Probably the floors too. I would love some backsplash suggestions and paint color recommendations. I kind of hate the way the top of cabinets are "built in" to the wall instead of being open, but, it is what it is. Some ideas to make it look more sharpe.

Comentarios (10)

• virginia lynn
    hace 7 años

Could you cut out the soffit above the cabinets or put crown at the top of the cabinets?

• jhmarie
    hace 7 años

Soffits are not so bad - they keep dust off the top and exist in homes built for decades. The only benefit in having them gone is you can put in taller cabinets. If you are not changing out cabinets, there is no reason to take them out except to be "on trend".

I decorate mine with plates - a great way to add your style and an accent color to your kitchen.

• life4real
    hace 7 años
    I think it would look nice to paint the walls a color that would coordinate better with the floor tiles. Then you could add a couple of accessories for color.
  • PRO
    Upside Development
    hace 7 años

Hi there, unless you make a significant colour change to the space it won't look too different. What about changing the walls to a lighter colour- maybe a light warm grey? then bringing in either glass backsplash, or metallic, then i would change counters to dark-grey quartz- i would also recommend changing floors to a more neutral tone- less busy

• PRO
    User
    hace 7 años

I love the idea of painting the soffits above the cabinets the same color as the cabinets so it looks as if your cabinets go all the way up to the ceiling. That way the crown moulding at the top looks like it trims the cabinets.

Country Kitchen - Classic Farmhouse · Más información

If you didn't like that route, I would at least trim the cabinet tops with at least a small trim:

Traditional Kitchen · Más información

I think your current paint color has a lot of yellow undertones which kind of throw off your finishes. If you had a close up of the countertop and flooring it would help to pick a paint color for you. For now, I would pick either a color (like a muted blue or green) or do a beige with a lot of gray undertones (or a greige as its sometimes called). Or dare to do white, That is all the rage right now, an all white kitchen. (not my personal favorite, but it is pretty).

Home Stage for Birmingham Parade of Homes, Mt Laurel Entry · Más información
    (here is one of my photos from a house I staged)

As far as the backsplash, I think because you have the small lip of granite on the walls, you could do a lot with simple subway tile.

Provence House · Más información

Best of luck to you, and happy decorating!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 7 años

I agree about paint those soffits. And then trim out the part where they attach to the cabinets with some crown. Whomever did the soffit work shouldn't give up his day job!

I think you would be happier if you got a different flooring. The only color that's going to go with everything if you leave it are the current color tones, creams, whites and maybe some yellows.

• Wendy H
    hace 7 años
    Hmm...I thought that I agreed with painting the soffits, but after seeing it done in your kitchen, I don't think it looks good. I actually really like your kitchen! if I was going to change anything, I would just add a bit of trim to the top of the cabinets and use the wall area above for some lovely decorative plates like someone else suggested.
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    hace 7 años
    You could make your kitchen floor work wit SW rain washed, also I agree ...paint the soffit and trim out the cabinets and add crown
    Sarah Gooch-Ledbetter agradeció a Brandi Nash Hicks
  • Sarah Gooch-Ledbetter
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Yes some crown.

What(website/software) did you use to illustrate the paints soffits? I need to use it!
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.