Houzz Logo Print
alyssa_alban

Advice on white please!

Alyssa Alban
hace 7 años
We are planning to rip up the carpets amd paint the walls and trims in a new home purchase. I believe there are pine 60mm floorboards underneath. I have 2 questions:
1. Floorboards - high gloss or semi gloss in polyurethane or water based polish?

2. Walls and trims. Was thinking Dulux Natural White for the walls. And Dulux Natural White half or quater for the trims. Should I also paint the window frames or maintain the original wood as a feature? Also, semi gloss or high gloss?

Love thr advice here - thanks!

Comentarios (19)

• girlguides
    hace 7 años
    Lovely! Natural white is great I'd go full natural white walls and trims and 1:2 if you do ceiling. Wooden trims are lovely though so I wouldn't do them everywhere. Maybe just paint in bedrooms where may want more soothing uniform colour
    Pine floorboards are very soft so definitely need carpet runners in high traffic areas
    As for floorboard finish prob polyurethane whatever gives the hardest finish to protect boards
  • hagan_38
    hace 7 años
    Natural White is a beautiful colour. Definitely walls in that and maybe standard white for ceilings. Leave the timber features as is, they look great.
  • LesleyH
    hace 7 años
    Satin for the floors but also consider burnished oil.
  • PRO
    Cordony Group
    hace 7 años

Hi Alyssa Alban,

For timeless neutrals, we suggest: Dulux Antique White USA, Dulux White Duck Half, Lexicon Half & Grand Piano Quarter.

Hope this helps and let us know if you need anything else!

• Alyssa Alban
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    thanks cordony designs. do you suggest the same colour on trims or making them a quater strength? ie. lexicon half on walls and lexicon quarter on trims?
  • John Henson
    hace 7 años
    Lesley's got it,Oil. Livos, Synteco or osmo. I've used the first two and can go on for hours on the virtues of oil over the chemical stuff.
  • LesleyH
    hace 7 años
    Yes I like how you can just oil over scratches. How have you found the maintenance of the floor?
  • Bernadette Staal
    hace 7 años

I am only going to comment on the wood trims / features - I would recommend you keep these natural timber, you may wish to sand them and refinish them but what a privileged it is to have such a beautiful feature. Many times people paint these features out but I think they are an added bonus.

• bigreader
    hace 7 años
    I've a quite similar house. I've used Natural white. I'll post pictures from natural light on weekend.

I kept wood skirts, Windows and archs in the lounge. I did paint the picture rails white. This really lightened the room whilst preserving the heritage look of the wood.
  • John Henson
    hace 7 años
    I have posted these shots quite a few times when discussing the maintenance of oiled floors. This fix took me two minutes. Good products do not stop things getting marked and changing character. Good products allow this process to gain life. A good leather couch will look better as it ages and a couch covered in plastic will always be a object of ridicule. Nothing different with a good wood floor.
  • grazz1230
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

fuschia Interiors can you tell me the colour of the kitchen cabinetry in this photo. and is the island the same colour?

• PRO
    Fuchsia Interiors
    hace 7 años

Hi, the cabinetry is satin two pack painted also in Dulux Natural White.

I hope that helps!

• grazz1230
    hace 7 años

i have lexicon quarter cabinetry with calcatta nuvo bench. I was originally going to paint the house with lexicon qtr but it makes my two year old white shutters look very yellow, hence need to pick different paint colour and Im leaning towards natural white. so confusing when things dont go to plan. my mistake tho, I didnt even consider my shutters.

• bigreader
    hace 7 años
    Here is our natural wood with Natural White. It is very dim at the moment in SW Vic. It looks better in better light. I'll take some more tomorrow.

Plus original floors and skirts.
  • LesleyH
    hace 7 años
    If your house has very good light, the scratches, that are actually in the many coats of polyurethane, really show up. Not a problem in rooms that don't have strong light. These scratches are not so evident in lighter floors though.
  • LesleyH
    hace 7 años
    Great John Hensen. This is the recommendation of the wood industry as well. Often 3 boards will stick together with polyurethane and the 4th will have a wider gap. This can happen with expansion and contraction in summer and winter. It does not happen with oiled timber floors.
  • User
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Nice white , Big, and Fuschia!

• lorraineelderhurst
    hace 7 años

Your photo shows your beautiful wood trim it looks fantastic.

Paint the walls and oil floors but my advice is to leave the trim alone (give it a coat of whatever is on it to freshen it up) it is wonderful as it is.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.