Houzz Logo Print
emma_beckwith

Wooden windows or aluminium

Emma Beckwith
hace 7 años
I'm looking to see what the majority of people prefer as I'm undecided on what to put on a new build house. From the front it's going to have a traditional look with wood sash windows and stone surrounds. The back has a lot of glass with a glass gable and a couple of windows. I'm unsure whether to keep the back of the house the same as the front and have white windows to match or go more modern and have a light grey aluminium. I like both styles but am not sure if it will look strange haven't a different style at the back to the front. What do you think? Here's a drawing of front and back.

Comentarios (13)

• debbiboo
    hace 7 años

Either would look great but if it's a traditional look you want I'd definitely go with the wood. We just got aluminium bi-fold doors fitted and they are great but we were looking for a modern look. Hope this helps,

Deborah

• PRO
    Wood Window Alliance
    hace 7 años

Yes, either would look great. Aluminium also looks very slick inside - some people prefer the feeling timber gives you of a piece of furniture. If you choose wood, make sure they're fully factory-finished, tested to meet British Standards and carry decent guarantees. They should last you a lifetime.

• PRO
    Lithouse
    hace 7 años

Hello Emma, first of all I do not represent windows suppliers, for this reason I have no intension to sell you specific windows type :) Secondly I am working as project manager and everyday discuss these questions with my customers who are building homes.

Mixing two different styles - traditional and modern may not work out very well. House is one object and it should stay in the same style.

Advantage of using aluminum windows is that vertical bars between glass partitions are very narrow. So you will have a lighter structure look.

Wooden windows definitely will have thicker bars, depends on windows profile and producer but can be about 5 cm wide. We have developed one project in Chamonix France. We had long discussions, because house was facing Mont Blanc mountain and owners wanted to see most of it. In the end we went after wooden frame windows, and we were happy with the result. Here is the photo:

Also you can find more photos of aluminum and wooden windows in my article about different window types.

• Emma Beckwith
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thank you for your comment. I think this is why the architect wants to go alluminium to get the most of the outlook through the glass with thin frames. I can see the reason but I think it should look the same and be in wood. My husband agrees with architect so I'm having trouble trying to convince them. One thing I'm not sure about though, the house is a rendered finish so I think white wood at the back might look a bit stark, the front has stone surrounds so is broken up. I'm not keen on a wood finish either so would go for painted wood.

• Daisy England
    hace 7 años
    I would have a timber finish and I'd not paint it. It's painting these windows that takes preparation time when re-painting. If you have a hardwood or semi hardwood timber you can apply a coat of finish (look at SX70 as it offers sun protection) so when you need to re-coat them it's a very quick sand over and a brush application.

My decorator does my house every other year to keep on top of it and it only takes a day to do the front of the house which is a large bay window, downstairs loo, 3 bedrooms and the fascias. We have timber effect PVC on the back as we have a verandah all across the rear of the house so it is difficult to gain access.

Don't have one colour on the front and another colour on the back. Perhaps consider timber front so you get kerb appeal and PVC on the back if you want to cut down on maintenance.
  • Jonathan
    hace 7 años
    I don't think it matters if you put one product on the front and something different in the back- after all you are not repeating the stone mullions on the back.
    I do think you should play around with some of the alternatives at the front as currently the proportions don't work- if you are having sash windows then they will be equally divided and the top and bottom panes of glass will be the same size and you need to treat each window the same with a vertical bar dividing the wider windows.
    Given the depth of these windows you might also consider Edwardian style windows with a top fanlight- again this would have been repeated across each window.
  • Emma Beckwith
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    The windows in the drawing don't show the sash style I wanted. It's like this style. Not sure Edwardian style is modern enough for the style house I wanted.
  • PRO
    Croydon Window Company Ltd
    hace 7 años

Hi Emma, Aluminium will look modern and sleek. Mixing traditional and modern will still work well. Please do take a look at our projects for ideas.

• PRO
    Lithouse
    hace 7 años

Hello Emma, coming back to our discussion. If you do not like to see wooden texture and if you do not want too much maintenance - then I would advice wooden windows with aluminum cladding from the exterior. No maintenance and you can choose any colour. I do not know how does it work with your suppliers, but usually wooden windows with aluminum cladding are cheaper than aluminum.

• PRO
    Sieger® Aluminium Systems
    hace 7 años

Having white timber windows to the front and upper floors and modern aluminium frames to the rear ground floor is a very common design feature to both new homes and extension spaces.

Aluminium frames tend to be popular on new builds due to their low maintenance and colour fastness over time.

Below are some images that show grey aluminium frames on the same elevation as a white timber frame so you can see the effect of them used together.

Hazelwell Road · Más información

Heslop Road · Más información

Langham Road · Más información

Rosegarth · Más información

Although if you wanted to use aluminium for their low maintenance but maintain a white finish you could opt to have the aluminium frames finished white like the below projects:

Berry Way · Más información

Highland Road · Más información

We have a large aluminium window and door showroom at the Sky House Design Centre in Amersham. Let me know if you would like to arrange a visit to see these frames in person.

Rebecca

Hedgehog Aluminium

01494 722 882

• Marc Afonso
    hace 4 años

I would suggest wooden windows for period house as for me aluminum suits more for new build or industrial properties. Especially that wood and aluminum comes at similar price tag. Just found a site with the prices for you to look up Wooden windows. Good luck!

• PRO
    DHW Joinery
    hace 3 años

Totally agree with 4 Edge Design Above - wood windows are ideal, and Accoya is a great choice. If you are based near Yorkshire, get in touch for some advice? - David H Wright Joinery, Yorkshire

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.