Houzz Logo Print
pamstrain

Expectations from tile regrouting

Pam A
hace 7 años

I am trying to improve the condition of my 2 bathrooms. I am planning to have new vanities installed but the tiles are in good condition and the colour is good so hoping to avoid having to replace them. Because the grout has cracked or fallen out in places I am wondering what sort of result I can expect from having a professional regrouting job done. Does the whole tiled area need to be done (most of it is good)?

Comentarios (9)

• bigreader
    hace 7 años
    I think you'd have to do the whole lot to avoid colour variations.

It's a fairly easy DIY. You can even get a grout scaperer outerer from Bunnings.
  • Pam A
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

I thought that might be the case, thanks Bigreader.

• User
    hace 7 años

It is an easy DIY, although mundane!. The grout remover thingy makes it easy although I've never forgotten the noise it makes scraping....like nails on a chalkboard! Grouting is easy, give it a go yourself! It is a very satisfying job because it looks fab once done, make sure you take before and after pics.

• Pam A
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thanks for the encouragement. Actually my husband says he will do it, but I doubt I can convince him that he will have to do all the tiles. They go to the ceiling in both bathrooms and it is only around the lowest few rows that the grout is damaged. In one bathroom it is in the shower so can't really be seen unless you are in there, and in the other it is just above where the bath meets the wall. The grout and tiles are a beige colour so maybe we could get a good match. From my googling, it seems it is fairly expensive to have it done professionally.

• wuff
    hace 7 años
    Hi Pam, I have regrouted shower recess in the past. It was quite easy to get the fretting grout out using a grout removing tool from Bunnings etc. made the job easy. A bit harder on any grout that is good but a mainly scoured that rather than complete removal. The regrouting I found a physically hard the not technically difficult. It made a huge difference, freshened up the look. Once dry, I think I left it for a week (to be sure to be sure). Then scrubbed the tiles clean and gleaming. Then had the whole thing professionally re sealed - he put in a bead of something around the shower base to really make sure it was water tight, then did the sealant. It then sparkled and was easy to clean. At the same time we put in new taps, changed the glass and put in a new vanity and cistern on the toilet. The whole job was under $2000 (including trades plumber and glas installer ) but the difference it made I think was worth it. Our house had been on the market close on three years. The next buyer through after completion bought it. Who knows but it did make a huge difference and I was even a bit sad to leave it. I don't know what I didn't do it for myself years before
  • Pam A
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Hi Wuff, thanks for your comments. We have fixed up houses in the past just prior to selling and found it hard to leave, wondering as you did why we didn't make the improvements for our own enjoyment. This time I am doing things the right way round.

• wuff
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Me too Pam, and I am making sure I do them to the spec I want and not thinking oh no that's too much. I am staging jobs so I can achieve what I really want, some things not so fussed about quality but others I am

• Pam A
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Hey Wuff we are def on the same page here. Cheers.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.