Houzz Logo Print
mahousereno

Granite Fabrication Problem -- appropriate recourse?

mahousereno
hace 7 años

Hi, could use some advice on best recourse for a granite job we're unhappy with.

The background

- Fabricator created template and cut to template

- When counters were delivered, they didn't fit correctly at the seam, so fabricator took the granite outside and recut with tools on site

- New cut was rough and jaggy so he fixed with epoxy

The result

We're left with a seam (about 1/4 inch) but it is rough to the touch and prominently placed (between the range and the front of the counter).

My question

Given there were a few mistakes made by the fabricator -- first the template measurement mistake and then the rough cut to address the bad first cut, I'd like him to make this right. A few questions:

1. Should he replace the counter top over for this?

2. If not, what is a reasonable discount to receive?

Comentarios (23)

• PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    hace 7 años
    Do you have any photos?
  • mahousereno
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thanks for the response. I'll post first thing tomorrow.

• km kane
    hace 7 años
    Yikes!
  • mahousereno
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Here is a photo

• mahousereno
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Yeah, there are some pretty incredible ones on here. Thankfully this isn't in that category. This is another view from the bottom.

To answer your question, this is the second attempt at it. In the first, they didn't color match. The also nicked the cabinet during the job.

We're having the conversation now about discount. Any guidance on how to approach this?

• PRO
    Presidio Tile & Stone
    hace 7 años

It's incredibly rare that installers are able to just drop pieces in on the job site without having to trim here and there. That's just the nature of the business, so I wouldn't hold that against them or even call that a mistake. The seam could be better and I would ask that they work on that.

• mahousereno
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Thanks, Presidio T&S. But even with templating we shouldn't expect the sizing to be right?

• PRO
    Presidio Tile & Stone
    hace 7 años

Even a 16th of an inch discrepancy can require installers to trim on site. We template and fabricate digitally, using the top of the line machinery, which is suppose to be the most accurate form of fabricating, and our installers still need to trim. As long as the pieces weren't too small, they were right.

• mahousereno
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

@Presidio, thanks for the context. But please look at the jaggedness of the cuts above. Is that expected, or was it a bad cut?

• PRO
    Presidio Tile & Stone
    hace 7 años

I absolutely think the seam needs to be worked on. It's not the worst seam I've ever seen, but it's not good either. I don't think the installer cut it in the wrong place, it just happened to chip out when he cut, which is common on white granite. They should be able to fill with a better matching epoxy and smooth it out so it's not so jagged and rough.

• PRO
    Stone Source
    hace 7 años

I would agree with Presidio - many situations call for granite to be trimmed on site to get the best fit, and also many stones do chip easily. Having fill is a part of getting a natural stone. However, if the seam is quite rough, I would have the fabricator work on that.

• kmkane123
    hace 7 años

I'm not a pro, but I agree this is not bad. Just have them work it out so it's even and smooth. I've had both granite and quartz installed and it's no easy thing - both require seaming and filling. Nothing is perfect! Granite is rock, it's from the earth, even diamonds have flaws.

• chiflipper
    hace 7 años

Mahousereno...NOTHING is perfect, nothing. I've had a custom home built that had a punch list of 5 pages. I agree that the fabricator could tweak the "fill" a little better.....but....no one will notice this but you.

• mahousereno
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Can any of the Pros here show a picture of how a properly repaired seam should look so I can show my fabricator?

Thanks a lot

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 7 años

Sorry, but if you've got state-of-the-art digital templating and fabrication, trimming on site should be rare. If you're doing it right.

• mahousereno
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thanks, Joseph. Given that, what we expect the fabricator to do to make this right?

• User
    hace 7 años

Make it right is what makes it right. The seam looks good. A bit more and it is there. That is what you are owed.

• km kane
    hace 7 años

You've got several people telling you this is not out of the norm and one poster who thinks trimming should be rare. Easy to say when you are not on site doing the job. Of course it should be rare, but not out of the ordinary. I think you'll have a hard time asking these people to do more than make the seam smooth. What are you expecting?

• mahousereno
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

I'd expecting a straight seam. I don't know when I should accept less than that high quality craftmanship.

My preferred approach would be for them to recut cleanly. This would mean replacing part of the stone.

Reasonable?

If not, should I expect for a smooth seam? Can you please share a picture of a bad cut with a good seam?

Thanks.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 7 años

I had no control over the tightness of this remade seam, I could only color match, polish and hope for the best.

This rod failure should have been replaced with an apron front sink, but she didn't like them.

You can see the new seam on the left.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
    hace 7 años

Sometimes you need to put the magnifying glass back in the drawer. Yes, the seam is not absolutely 100% perfect, but that's really difficult to obtain 100 % of the time. Just because they needed to adjust does not in itself mean that the template was incorrect. Plus or minus 1/16" would be considered the normal tolerance, so if both pieces are on the plus side then they need to trim 1/8". This would not be known until the pieces are fitted on-site. In most cases this is the job of the installer to make these final adjustments. Just one other comment, that minor nick in the cabinet can be easily fixed and the first approach should not be to demand a discount every time someone makes a boo boo.

Graham

• dappdm01
    hace 7 años

For your investment, that is unacceptable. I work for a dealer of countertops and cabinets, and I would have my fabricator make that seam right. If you ask for compensation, you will still see that everyday and not be pleased. Have them make it right.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.