Houzz Logo Print
sophied20

Garden fence and gate

Sophie Dickson
hace 7 años
Hello,
We have just had a garden fence done at the end and sides of our garden as well as some decking. We now need ideas on what we should do with the gate and also the side fences as we would like to create more privacy. I'm not opposed to trellis for the sides but I don't like the traditional trellis style, we would like something more modern.
Thank you!!

Comentarios (11)

• Sophie Dickson
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Hello, thanks for your feedback. The fence is black as the wall behind is black, we do have some trees here but it wasn't creating any privacy when we were sat on the decking. Do you think there's any way that we can work with what we have? Thanks, Sophie
  • Kevin Jovinsie
    hace 7 años
    hello
  • catherinehale7
    hace 7 años
    To soften it you could turn it into pergola type structure - with contrasting colour to lighten the effect. Lots of greenery would help - potted bamboo or something tall with movement to take the edge off the sharpness of the fence
  • pethuxley
    hace 7 años
    Adding a trellis to the existing low fence would allow you to train climbing plants giving you the privacy you want without the stark high fence. We had a similar issue with our back garden fence which was no more than 5ft high (total) atop a low wall. We added a square trellis attached to firm vertical supports that were then screwed to the existing fence. Even without plants you'll be surprised how much difference an attractive trellis will make before any plants establish themselves. The attached picture shows our trellis with wisteria growing through it. Look online for different trellis styles, there are many! Good luck.
  • Sophie Dickson
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Great ideas! Do you think I would be able to do something similar to the picture I have attached for the gate? And what colour would you recommend doing this?
  • pethuxley
    hace 7 años
    Style and colour looks nice and you can find many shades in the greens, blues, greys that will look good. It depends on your garden theme overall. This one was possibly made to measure so cost is a consideration.
    There are other options such as tall palisade gates, and louvre and slatted panels or combinations of louvre and slatted with solid panels, plus many trellis styles to top panels that are off the shelf (Jacksons, Grange, etc). I think you will find ideas here.
    Just consider that if people can see in (top section trellis or other) this helps the look overall and importantly aids your security. If others can see in, then they can see if anyone is in your garden who shouldn't be!
    As its adjacent a road, I suggest you also check your local planning regs for fence heights adjacent to a highway.
  • samharwood87
    hace 7 años

Hi Sophie,

If you are looking for a spin on traditional trellis, you might like this: https://www.jacksons-fencing.co.uk/fencing/secret-garden-collection/trellis-tartan/secret-garden-collection-trellis-tartan.aspx 

• PRO
    Peter Reader Landscapes
    hace 7 años

These ideas for extra screening with plants are great and the advice on lighter colours is great too. Plants - if you choose the right ones - are great for screening and softening hard landscaping such as fences. A type of trellis that is very chic is the horizontal trellis. Here is a close up photo of a section with a clematis (Polish Spirit) climbing through it and another showing a deck with softened horizontal trellis behind it.

• PRO
    Garden Gates Direct
    hace 7 años

Hi Sophie, If your looking for an eye catching gate this option is currently one of our most popular designs.

• PRO
    The Contemporary Fencing Company
    hace 7 años

Hi Sophie,

We offer Cedar slatted panels that could be attached to the inside of your existing fence. Our fencing system is very simple to use and we can make the panels to fit exactly. Hope this helps.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.