Houzz Logo Print
jacissa

Cabinet trims to the ceiling or no?

jacissa
hace 7 años
We need to finish off the tops of our cabinets and can't decide if we should bring the trims all the way to the ceiling or just put it on top of the cabinet and still have a small useless space above the cabinets. Is bringing to the ceiling a trendy thing that won't still be "in" over time? Which way do you think would look better? I can see the space just collecting dust and being hard to get to, but what if there is unevenness of the ceiling, won't that stand out more with the trims touching it? I've attached some pics of the trim piece and our cabinets. Thanks.

Comentarios (25)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    hace 7 años

Trim it! The gap is not large enough for substantial crown, but is too small to leave as a gap, which looks as unintentional mistake. This should have been considered when the kitchen was designed........ not after install. Trim it. : )

• jacissa
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    It was considered when the kitchen was planned and installed. We have always had the intention to do trims on top. We just haven't had a chance to get to it and have been indecisive as to take it to the ceiling or not.
  • Kris Mays
    hace 7 años

To the ceiling they go!

• Danielle Black
    hace 7 años
    Yes trim
  • Lori East
    hace 7 años
    Yup...trim!
  • PRO
    Erica Pigula Interior Design
    hace 7 años
    Trim to ceiling:)
  • Irene Morresey
    hace 7 años
    To the ceiling, nice finish
  • PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    hace 7 años

Nice and finished worry free cabinet look vs. useless open area to collect dust. Should be an easy choice.

• zealart
    hace 7 años

trim to the ceiling. Left over gaps, especially when small, look ridiculous and collect dust that you can't even clean out.

• PRO
    Cindy Sherman, CKBD
    hace 7 años
    I'm not seeing how that trim is going to go on ......??? How will you apply that trim to the top rail of the frame??? The problem really is the height of the cabinets vs the ceiling height.
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 7 años

Take the trim all the way up!! It will be beautiful and look much more custom.

• km kane
    hace 7 años
    Cabinets to the ceiling is not a trend! The trim should have been measured and installed when the cabinets went in. Do it now!
  • PRO
    TALLBOX
    hace 7 años

@Amy's Home Interiors has right. Trim them out. If they are open will collect and more dust,too.

• Heather Macdonald
    hace 7 años
    It's not just a trend, I grew up in a century home with original cabinets to the ceiling.
  • baileysr
    hace 7 años
    If you're hesitant about the trim, consider LED tape lights, so that space looks intentional and you get some good mood lighting.
  • jacissa
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Cindy Sherman, I don't know either, but my husband who is a licensed contractor and did our kitchen does have a plan.

We bought the trim pieces at the same time as the cabinets planning to take it to the ceiling but then I started having concern about if there is any unevenness of the ceiling, that it would stand out and how do you resolve that. Which is what caused the uncertainty for us as to how we want to do it. We probably will go to the ceiling and hope for the best because yes I realize that space would be nothing but useless dust collector. Also just wanted to make sure it wasn't just trendy and would still look good over time going to the ceiling. I agree with all of the points made here and can't wait to have it done. .
  • kmkane123
    hace 7 años

the ceiling will no doubt be uneven. They usually are even in new houses. You can still make it work, and it will look much better than not using the trim pieces. Very nice kitchen!

• jacissa
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Thank you. Anyone have tips to minimize the uneven ceiling that is inevitable when we take the trim all the way up? Caulk the same color of the ceiling? Leave that tiny gap and let it collect dust? Other suggestions?
  • Belahn
    hace 7 años

How do you figure cabinets all the way to the top as being a trend? I hate cabinets that don't use all the wall space and leave places for dust to collect on top.

• Kris Mays
    hace 7 años

A licensed contractor should know how to scribe trim to the ceiling.

• kmkane123
    hace 7 años

It won't be so large a gap that you will have to worry about it collecting dust. Get the trim up there first to see what you have to deal with. Then fill in with paintable caulk and go from there.

• jacissa
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    I don't figure cabinets to the ceiling is a trend, I was asking if it is. I'm not great with knowing what design things are just a trend vs what will look best over time which is why I posted.

Yes my licensed contractor husband has ideas of what he can do about any unevenness of the ceiling. But no one knows everything so I feel that asking around for tips is helpful as well, maybe someone has an idea he hasn't used or thought of.

I do appreciate the replies.
  • calidesign
    hace 7 años

The trim will actually help hide the uneven ceiling, in addition to looking better.

• Casandra383 Dean
    hace 7 años
    Do you want to try dusting and getting grease build up out of that space?? Push them up and give yourself a bit more head room over the counter. (Unless you don't have tall people in the house to get stuff down for you:)
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.