amber1960

Help!! Should I "decorate" above the cabinets?

amber1960
hace 7 años

Should I decorate this shelf around the kitchen or leave it plain? If you say decorate...what should I use and how? When I put stuff up there, I have a tendency to space it out and I'm not sure that looks very good. Just looks like a bunch of stuff going around the kitchen. The green plants seems to look the best as it picks up on trees etc. outside but I can't use real ones as it's very high. The last picture is a big shelf (with a bike on it) to the right of the kitchen.

Comentarios (30)

• suezbell
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

The relatively small number of pieces, especially including plants, that you have there look fine. Just don't pile a bunch more stuff up there -- using it for storage and mistake storing for decorating -- besides, that would be a dusting nightmare.

Do put the plants directly in front of the windows though and work toward maintaining balance/symmetry with regard to placement of other items -- size and kind of items.

amber1960 agradeció a suezbell
  • jdgail
    hace 7 años

How about hanging some real art above to add some good color and personality. Food or vintage posters with food? Beautiful kitchen and view.

Not a fan of the bicycle. Too many plants. Like the big plate - perhaps matching big ferns in colorful pots to pick up color from art. You can get good quality ones at a good nursery.

amber1960 agradeció a jdgail
  • felizlady
    hace 7 años
    I think having anything up there calls attention to the ledges. They really have no purpose, and anything you put up there will need to be taken down and dusted or washed upon occasion.
  • chloebud
    hace 7 años

I agree with tedbixby. Your windows themselves are nice up there. Just put a trio of something...like the vases Ted mentioned...to the right. Not a fan of faux plants. Also, some art could work as jdgail suggested. Just keep it simple and don't put much up there...less is more!

• PRO
    Kelli Kaufer Designs
    hace 7 años

Less is more, I would remove it all as it gets to be too cluttered. Your cabinets are beautiful, I would put in rope lighting drawing the eye up, giving interest and ambiance lighting.

• amber1960
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thank you Kelli. Where would you put the rope lighting? There are lights that shine down on the cabinets but they were not on in the pictures.

• Susan Davis
    hace 7 años

Empty and clean is the trend now I personally feel so I would remove everything and leave is done.....you could try it for a week and see how you like it>

amber1960 agradeció a Susan Davis
  • PRO
    Kelli Kaufer Designs
    hace 7 años

You would just lay the lights on top of the soffit/ledge. Don't know if you have electrical up there or not.....

amber1960 agradeció a Kelli Kaufer Designs
  • snied99
    hace 7 años
    I hope I don't offend you, but I do not like the fake plants. They look dated to me. I would move that big plate which is blocking a window and use that along with large artwork to emphasuze this space. Keep it simple.
    amber1960 agradeció a snied99
  • mcbmd3
    hace 7 años
    Personally, I would leave it bare and let the architecture and view speak for themselves.
    amber1960 agradeció a mcbmd3
  • amber1960
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Kelli, we have some long lights up there now so I know there is electrical but I like your idea for rope lights!

• tedbixby
    hace 7 años

Rope lighting up there would look fabulous at night :) Great idea Kelli.

• chloebud
    hace 7 años

I agree...kudos on the rope lighting, Kelli!

• amber1960
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

We have lights up there now but they are bright and white. I bet the rope lights would looks better. Thank you Kelli!

• PRO
    HRN Construction and Restoration
    hace 7 años
    Great kitchen! Good advice from all as well. Yes, less is more. If you do go with any plants (real or faux) I thought this looked simple yet fun. AllModern.com
  • Anna S
    hace 7 años
    Instead of putting something on the shelf, how about hanging something long and horizontal on that long wall? I can see a scrolls wrought iron piece. Or maybe some Haitian metal art?
    https://www.haitigallery.com/
    amber1960 agradeció a Anna S
  • PRO
    Kelli Kaufer Designs
    hace 7 años

Amber, can those lights be on a dimmer by chance?

• amber1960
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Hi Kelli. Yes they are on a dimmer switch. They were not dimmed down when I took that picture. Actually, they were the brightest.

• PRO
    Kelli Kaufer Designs
    hace 7 años

How great to have lights above the soffits and on a dimmer! I recommend not having anything else up there. Your cabinets are beautiful and I believe your eye detracts from those beautiful cabinets when you have items placed up there. Looks like a really nice airy open floor plan, I wouldn't want to mar it up with stuff. Sometimes less is more and is actually more artful and peaceful. But then it is your home and what speaks to me may be different than what speaks to you, that is what makes design unique and interesting!

amber1960 agradeció a Kelli Kaufer Designs
  • amber1960
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thank you so much Kelli. Would you keep the big shelf next to the kitchen cleaned off too?

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    hace 7 años

I am not a big fun of decorating above the kitchen cabinets especially with fake plants and flowers, but sometimes it looks good. Just find your style.

• jean1
    hace 7 años
    Pick glass vases in different sizes, in colors that you love. Place them is groups, but not in front of the windows. Add the rope lighting to shine through them.
  • Geneviève
    hace 7 años

nothing on front of the window unless its glass and sends our rays of colours into your kitchen let the light in ,the plants look fine .

• Geneviève
    hace 7 años

Glass Fruit Bowl · Más información

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 7 años

I think mounting framed botanicals with wood frames would complement you cabinetry and update the appearance.

http://www.wayfair.com/Arborist-6-Piece-Framed-Wall-Art-Set-2293-NHG2380.html

A wall clock about 12-15"

I would add terra cotta olive oil pots to go with the botanicals

amber1960 agradeció a BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 7 años

Doesn't have to be green if you have another color you want to accent, but you could use it above the cabinets to add interest.

amber1960 agradeció a BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Geneviève
    hace 7 años

Consider changing those 2 vents with something a bit different but paint them as the same colour as the wall.

Pattern Cut Air Supply Grille, Pattern Q, 24"x8", Cherry Veneer · Más información
    i like that clock but not the black vases they are too dark ,

amber1960 agradeció a Geneviève
  • Geneviève
    hace 7 años

Pear Vase, Red Pink Base · Más información

amber1960 agradeció a Geneviève
  • PRO
    Julie Paulino Design
    hace 7 años

Hi,. Do you collect something like porcelain, copper, silver plates or anything? I would go that route instead of buying something to occupy that space. I think it would look more real and personalized. Whatever you decide to put don't do the dry plants or art and craft looking glass, It would make your kitchen look darker.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.