Houzz Logo Print
jrhenely

Paint the oak white or leave it?

Jessica
hace 7 años
I have a 2002 house with good quality oak trim, oak flooring and oak cabinets. I'd like to update the house and feel white trim will help. But, I'm a little nervous about starting the big project.

Want opinions - will painting the oak update the house and make it more attractive to future homebuyers?

To paint or not to paint??

Comentarios (37)

• libradesigneye
    hace 7 años

What does your house look like outside? If it has any craftsman lines, do not paint the oak. If not, though traditional, if you want to paint oak, then you can. I might suggest it will cost less and give you a better result to have it stained in a less natural / more walnut shade. Then you retain the high end look of wood grain (people cannot afford real wood trim generally - and get mdf to paint it) but adjust your look.

• chiflipper
    hace 7 años

I would leave it as is. When you are ready to sell offer a "cash rebate" to buyer after the close "for any changes they wish to make".

• Bev
    hace 7 años

I would leave that beautiful wood alone! Just think of the money and time you will save yourself not painting it!

• Joanne Charamella
    hace 7 años
    I love your natural wood features. Don't worry about future buyers unless you are ready to sell. If you like natural wood, keep it. If not, I guess you are going to paint (sob!!!).
  • calidesign
    hace 7 años

I would leave the wood alone if your only concern is future buyers. Someone might like it, or they could paint it themselves. But painting your walls to lighten them up is much easier, and would appeal to future buyers.

• smit2380
    hace 7 años

If you want it white for yourself, then more power to you. If I was your future buyer, I like this wood better (particularly if it is a DIY paint job).

• jhmarie
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

I would probably not paint the oak. In my area these homes sell well. If you feel just for yourself (and not because HGTV shows only white) that you want some white, you could paint trim only. Do not paint doors or cabinets and probably not the mantel. You have to figure out things like where the crown molding meets the fireplace. I had very dark stained 1970's pine trim and painted it white and eventually installed oak doors and cabinets (in the 90s) I very much like my white trim with oak. However, many of my friends and family have the all oak and I like it just fine too. It really is a more expensive trim than the usually MDF white painted trim in new homes.

You do not want to paint the doors because wood moves with changes in temp and humidity and this can crack the paint at the joints - and doors have lots of joints. Wood doors have more value than white, which are usually MDF. Wood doors also look cleaner longer.

Beacon St. Residence · Más información

Quiet Casual Home: Entryway and Stair · Más información

• tatts
    hace 7 años

Yeah. Paint the oak and make it all look like builder-grade MDF trim. That's the ticket. That'll impress the buyers.

• Jessica
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Thanks all for the comments! I should add - I always wanted white trim. When I'm on Houzz, I'm drawn to the white trim rooms! :-) BUT after being here one year, the oak has grown on me. We'll be here another 10 years or so, but I want to keep it updated along the way. I guess it just comes down to - what looks better? Note, not a craftsman house.
  • Em Bee
    hace 7 años

The pewter colour looks great on walls with oak trim. I would remove all the wall to wall carpet though in the family room and get an area rug.

• Kristy C.
    hace 7 años
    I walk away from houses with stained trim. For me white is the only way to go!
  • PRO
    k+co LIVING - Interiors by Karen B Wolf
    hace 7 años

White, it will brighten up the space and works with your exterior.

• lhutch13
    hace 7 años
    I personally don't care for white trim. Very high maintenance for me.
  • thinkdesignlive
    hace 7 años
    Leave the floors and cabinets but paint the trim white as it will be more cohesive with the exterior.
  • champcamp
    hace 7 años

I am in the midst of painting oak trim in our house white. We just moved in a few weeks ago and this is now the third house I have had to deal with oak. White trim makes it so much easier to decorate around. It gives you unlimited paint color choices as opposed to oak which often has too much orange or yellow undertone and impacts what colors work with it. Also we prefer nice wood furniture pieces or wood flooring to be the wood feature in a room - not the trim.

• PRO
    DesignAnts LLC
    hace 7 años

If you were my client, I would suggest other areas to change to give you a more updated look. Agreeing with other commenters, I would leave the wood and not paint. You could give some areas a dark stain, the treads on the steps the handrail and some type of floor detail. Remove the wall to wall carpet. Add some softer window treatments, decorative pillows. Possibly do a ceiling treatment with white or light painted trim for interest. The crown molding and trim or coffers on the ceiling could be painted as its separate from the rest of the trim. The tile around the fireplace is a good spot to update. Send some more pictures as you go through your transformation!

• Em Bee
    hace 7 años

Good suggestions, DesignAnts! Perhaps instead of the red throw cover in the family room on the sectional, go with a more rusty red and get some cream and rust coloured throw cushions as well for that room. I think refinishing the floors a darker shade, but not too dark, and doing the steps as well would look good! It is easier to maintain as well. See if the stain can be a darker grey/ash tone. You need something over the FP mantle as the spot light spot....nothing, but wood. Perhaps a decorative metal sculpture of some type?

• auntthelma
    hace 7 años

Maybe paint some, like the crown molding and the window molding. But leave that beautiful fireplace and those beautiful stairs alone. Perhaps paint the trim in the less formal rooms but keep it wood in the formal living and dining rooms.

• PRO
    Wheatland Custom Cabinetry & Woodwork
    hace 7 años

Painting the crown and trim will definitely brighten/update the home. Also suggest re-staining the fireplace to a darker color.

Isles Craftsman · Más información

• libradesigneye
    hace 7 años

jr - Your house has a real farmhouse vibe to me. That is the only other architecture (besides historic houses) where wood trim can play a positive architectural role. However, as above - if you can afford to have it done professionally and prefer the flexibility of color that comes with painted trim, then go for it - you will like it and it is your house. Your house won't sell for more or less with painted trim . . . some people prefer the vibe and some don't - the right buyer will come along either way. Decide for yourself.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 7 años

Paint the crown, for sure. I think painting the trim around the windows would look much better. I hate this color oak and just the looks of it remind me 1980! Now if it was tiger oak from an old craftsman home, I'd say leave it. You will be living there for the next 10 years. do what makes you happy. I can't stand it when people talk about what to do to their homes for resale value! Why not live in the house that you want instead of what a potential buyer wants? I would leave your fireplace, the doors and maybe some of the casing. The crown, baseboards and window trim in dining area, for sure paint. I would even do the kitchen cabinets because I think it would make your space look amazing. I'm sure the wood lovers will hate me for that one. I just despise honey oak cabinets.

• Em Bee
    hace 7 años

Its funny, but fashion whether house design or clothing goes around and around. (Hey...the 70's one piece jumpsuit is now "hot". Check out Roots.) Right now orangey oak is "out" but wait...it will come back "in" as a new trend. The wood has less maintenance, finish is not prone to chipping, and doesn't have off gassing like painted things. So....for people that have this type of trim just find a nice colour that suits for walls. Try to boot it up...a limey green looks lovely, as does a blue grey and of course, pewter!

• everdebz
    hace 7 años

Others suggested: update everything else if you keep oak stain: style of furniture, curtain rod/ curtains....

• Barbara Almandarz
    hace 7 años

Since you plan on staying in your home another 10 years, do what makes YOU happy. Who knows what will be trendy then. You should go with your instincts. Too soon to worry what will appear dated to buyers so far in the future.

• chrispeggyleavitt
    hace 7 años
    Please, there is no place for sarcasm and meanness on Houzz. When people ask for opinions they don't need nasty comments, they just need input. If you can't help, please resist the urge to respond.
  • chrispeggyleavitt
    hace 7 años
    My comment is for tatts
  • shirlpp
    hace 7 años

Oh, chrispeggyleavitt - I was wondering...Thanks for clearing that up.

I'd paint all the trim white around the doors, windows, and baseboards - but not the fireplace and built-in's....yet....I'd wait to decide.

• User
    hace 7 años
    You would think painting trim is rocket science. Its not that hard to do a great job. Notice I said GREAT job. An awesome job.
    I have never looked at a house with white trim and thought - too bad this trim is all white. And painted quality wood does not look like mdf. My grandmothers china is an heirloom. Oak trim that some builder decided on for a house a few years back is not.
  • Betty
    hace 7 años
    I vote for painting it! It's just to much wood. Painting most of the wood will really brighten up the interior. The men in my world are against painting wood, I think that is taught in little boy school. But I paint it anyway since it's really only mine & my husband's decision. Once it's done my DH always loved the bright clean look.
  • torreykm
    hace 7 años

I'm in the southeast/coastal. It is rare to see a house with stained trim. Exceptions are some of the historic houses and those that were built 30 years ago and haven't been updated.

• bellakay
    hace 7 años
    I would most certainly paint the window and door trim white and add white crown molding. You can still leave your cabinetry natural!
  • Em Bee
    hace 7 años

In some regions, like Las Vegas, builders rarely, if ever, trim out their windows ...inside and out. They rarely offer white kitchens as well. They sell a lot of dark wood cabinetry, likely MDF. They don't grow large trees for construction in Vegas or Nevada. The wood has to be imported. Golden oak is a regional thing. You will see more of it where it is readily available. Ash trees have a beetle that is killing them up in Ontario, Canada. Soon there will lots of dead ash trees for wood. It is very similar to the density and look of oak for trim and furniture. It will be very plentiful and therefore cheap. It will make a come-back. Years ago in the 1920's it was as common and as cheap as pine to have homes with GUM- wood trim. Now, it is priceless...an endangered species of wood. You never will hear of anyone having gum wood trim in their new homes... Such a shame people not knowing what kind of it was, didn't care or never knew it would be extinct one day, painted over top. D-OH!

• Jessica
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

I truly appreciate your ideas - thanks to everyone! I'm leaning toward painting the baseboards, window trim and trim around the doors white (or replacing with white) and leaving the doors, cabinets, floor, fireplace and built-in oak. Plus changing out the door hardware for black where - yes - I currently have gold. Thanks Builder :-) I'll post pics of progress! We'll start the trim as soon as we get this wall removed and refinished - which is basically what forces my decision on the trim. We'll start here! And we are taking out carpet in dining and entryway and replacing with hardwood to match kitchen. Husband won't budge on family room carpet - it stays :-)

• everdebz
    hace 7 años

Maybe the oak, however much remains, could be look with this copper-orange jute rug on sale. 5 x8:http://www.worldmarket.com/product/5x8%2Byellow%2Bjute%2Bsoha%2Barea%2Brug.do?&from=fn

• carriebear28
    hace 7 años

I think painting the baseboards, trim and crown molding will brighten things up and give you a fresh look. I don't mind the oak (it looks better to me than the builders grade golden oak in my house), but do what appeals to you. We are getting new Windows soon, which is going to turn into updating all the trim and baseboards (white......I have always loved the look of white;. I think it brightens the room and gives you way more options for wall color and furniture color). But we are leaving built ins and doors alone. I enjoy having some wood; I think it feels warm and homey. It is just too. Much. Oak. Some white paint here and there breaks it up for me!

I really like your fireplace. I would consider leaving it as is, or perhaps think go with a darker stain. I would leave your doors wood, along with the built ins next to the fireplace. I would also keep the floors. You can always do one thing at a time, and decide as you go, I am guessing you won't mind the wood so much once you break it up a little and have less of it to look at.

• Jessica
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    UPDATE: We've removed the wall and the contractor is coming back next week to put the hardwood floors down (the natural oak to match kitchen, etc). We have to paint and choose trim before he comes. Soooo... guess it's time to pull trigger on the white trim! We're using Sherwin Williams Anew Gray for the wall - which will carry through the dining area, entryway and upstairs hall.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.