Houzz Logo Print
rebecca3663

Sliding Door (Barn Door type) that does not use Ceiling Hinges

rebecca3663
hace 7 años

I have a doorway that we are wanting to put a sliding glass door to let the light through into a dark hallway when closed in the basement (which has extremely low ceilings - roughly 6'2" in this hallway). I could use a regular door but it would have to open into a really small room and I would prefer not to use up the inside wall space to rest a door against. The problem is the ceiling height is abysmal at only having roughly 1" above the rough opening. As such, ceiling mounted hardware, or even wall mounted that runs along the top of the door frame, will not work. Does anyone know of hinges that can run along the side wall - kind of like a kitchen drawer that extends across the door way and then retracts inside itself as the door opens? Or another suggestion for hardware? Yes I can just have no door - but then if the small room becomes full of junk ... well we could not shut or slide a door to hide it :)

Comentarios (4)

• PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    hace 7 años
    Hafele makes a recessed sliding door track. It is mounted up in the drywall and the door attaches to rollers in the track. A solid core door can be cut down to the proper height.
  • PRO
    Meyer Design
    hace 7 años
    • If you used a shorter door, the hardware could overlap the opening. KVM Metro style door has about a 4" track height; which means the opening under the track leaves you approximately 6'-5" of height. (Assuming you have a typical 6'-8" tall opening)
    • Have you considered a bi-fold door? It would not need the full floor space to swing open.
    • Would a pocket door be able to fit in the other wall? (the area not visible in the picture)

Good luck with your project!

• PRO
    Urban Habitats Landscape Studio
    hace 7 años

Here's an example of a sliding barn door used on a low ceiling pool building where height is a major issue. The sliding doors are custom made, but the hardware stores is readily available at retail stores and easy to install.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.