Houzz Logo Print
libratravel

Need shade on patio

libratravel
hace 7 años
última modificación:hace 7 años

We have plenty of shade in the morning and early afternoon but late afternoons and evenings are unbearable. Considering awnings, pergolas and a gazebo until some shade trees mature ( in 15 years or so!). Any thoughts about creating some PM shade to enjoy dinner on the patio?

Comentarios (6)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 7 años

A nice tiltable umbrella is the cheapest answer but the pergola with the cover is certaily more permanent or do what we do get some great outdoor lighting and eat when the sun goes away

• libratravel
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Baileysr- where did you get your pergola? What brand is it?

• baileysr
    hace 7 años
    Hi, our pergola itself was built by our GC as part of a bigger reno project. The awning is the magic, and the brand is Durasol and it was procured through Window Works in Livingston NJ. A couple of tips, if you go that way. 1) I recommend a solid fabric, because the pergola itself provides plenty of pattern and interest on the top. 2) don't power wash it! My husband managed to force high pressure water up and under and inside the motor....not good. This is one of many reasons why I hate power washers.....

While looking up my awning supplier, I noticed that there are other prefab options for pergolas with awnings. I don't know how good they are. Just google "pergola retractable awning" and options come up.
  • PRO
    European Rolling Shutters
    hace 7 años

If the late afternoon sun is an issue, the angle covered by the awning may not be enough and you can get retractable solar screens that roll down vertically from the end of the awning (or overhang, structure, pergola).

Here's an example of one:

Awnings - with vertical Sun Screen protection · Más información

• baileysr
    hace 7 años
    Yes, we did add a vertical blind this summer, a Coolaroo brand that we bought from Amazon. Simple, manual, not very expensive. We only use it for about an hour each day when the sun comes across and into the side of the porch. Before we had it, we would just move the chairs over to the shaded side, which wasn't a big deal, but now we just lower that shade and it's even better.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.