Houzz Logo Print
danadz22

Need ideas for kitchen-honey oak cabinets

danadz22
hace 7 años

I would love ideas on how to remodel our kitchen. The cabinets are very solid wood in great condition, just on the ugly side. Would like to update the counter tops, install backsplash, new sink/faucet, paint. The kitchen is very open to the family room and dining room (all with the light brown walls). We've considered painting the cabinets (professionally, not DIY), but are worried about the long term wear and tear on the paint with animals/kids/busy life. Or maybe they wouldn't be so ugly with a different color paint and new counter tops.... Any ideas??

Comentarios (17)

• PRO
    Sativa McGee Designs
    hace 7 años

You will probably find this blog helpful: http://easypeasygrandma.blogspot.com/2012/04/kitchen-reveal.html

She filled in the arch on her door and then added poplar wood to change the door style.

• Linda Elengold
    hace 7 años

Our cabinets are very similar. We used Berwyn quartz countertops by Cambria and a light gray blacksplash. Paining the rest of the kitchen white. It looks much more modern now!!

• PRO
    Linda Mayo
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

It would update the look if you replaced the cathedral doors with a square style. Add molding to the bottom of the uppers, Decorative wood panels to the front of the island and lights under the wall cabinets. You might consider painting the perimeter cabinets a taupe (depending on whether it would look good with the flooring. It's difficult to tell the color of the flooring with the difference in monitors). The island most likely get the bulk of the wear and tear so instead of painting it you could stain it a darker complementary color. Pendant lights over the island would be a nice update as well, as well as a new chandelier in the dining area.

Here are some inspiration pictures using a taupe color on the perimeter, light colored counters with matching backsplashes and a darker stained island.

Pinterest • The world’s catalog of ideas · Más información

Peonies and Orange Blossoms: Taupe and Greige and Grey Kitchens... Kitchen Trend · Más información

Ariella Ovale Glass Pendant Lamp · Más información

Elan 83248 Chrome Piatt Linear Chandelier - LightingDirect.com · Más información

• PRO
    American Kitchen Concepts Inc
    hace 7 años

My suggestion is new cabinets, counters and splash that allow you to start fresh with layout and design if a change is needed there. If the budget doesn't allow for new cabinets then consider refacing the cabinets. That way you can change the doors to square and choice a color of your choice (painted white or offwhite is very popular). Just be sure and get a good co who uses wood doors and no plastic..

Good luck,

• jhmarie
    hace 7 años

Your kitchen looks very nice and in good shape. What is called "dated" now will be the coveted retro or vintage soon:)

You are correct that a paint job, professional or DIY, will not give as durable a surface as a factory finish. Some do not mind and simply are prepared to touch up areas of wear and chipping.

I have seen a slight resurgence of wood - even oak especially for those who like a rustic decor.

I have oak cabinets and replaced worn counters with quartz and added a farmhouse sink. The Kohler Whitehaven short apron cast iron sink can be installed on a standard sink base. I really like how it all came together:

https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~58830325

Another option is to consider removing some uppers, possibly tiling up the wall and replacing with shelves. Very pretty look, but not always practical depending on your storage needs and is easier to work around a stove hood than over the range microwave. You might need to work with a kitchen designer or carpenter to see how best to change over to this sort of look given your layout.

I used the above idea a bit when putting together a basement kitchenette. It is still a work in progress and a much more rustic / industrial look then you might like. It does show that oak can work.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~59047775

• Jan
    hace 7 años
    We tend to be a throw away society. Your cabinets are fine, I have arches also but cherry cabinets. I would change the hardware (make sure you have a small rechargeable screwdriver). If the budget allows you can change out the counters and add backsplash. Counters are pricey a backsplash not so much. How about new bar stools in a darker or black wood.
    We remodeled 1950 kitchen in 2001 and I'll be.....if I'm going to change it again. It works, we just replaced appliances.
  • Jan
    hace 7 años
    Forgot two pendant lights would look good. Also new chandelier hung lower over table... 30-36 inches from bottom to table.
  • leelee
    hace 7 años

You can spend a lot of money on the counters and backsplash but if you leave the arched cabinet doors it's still going to look out of date. Have the doors refaced and professionally painted and then proceed with the other improvements. It will then look like a new kitchen.

• leelee
    hace 7 años

You will enjoy it for however long you live there and it will have better resale value.

• leelee
    hace 7 años

You could also extend the wood floors into the kitchen and dining areas for a complete makeover.

• cramps36
    hace 7 años
    Your cabinets are lovely and the arches are just fine. Look at pictures of kitchens with oak cabinets. You need to decide if you want the oak to become a feature color or to blend into the background. There are many websites with suggestions for paint colors that work with oak cabinets. Oak and arches are not the enemy. It makes me laugh when people suggest to tear cabinets out and start anew or else you'll never be happy. I hope your happiness hinges on things more substantial than kitchen cabinets. Best of luck. Your kitchen is already very nice.
  • chloebud
    hace 7 años

We also have those cabinets...cathedral uppers and square lowers. They were here when we moved in 3 years ago, and I can't convince my husband to change them. One thing you might consider...some of our upper cabinets have glass fronts with interior lighting that I like. It helps that your appliances are stainless...more updated. I was happy to also have that when we moved in.

• PRO
    Knockout Knobs
    hace 7 años

You have nice cabinets! Maybe instead of completely changing them, you could consider decorative hardware. Knockout Knobs is the perfect solution for spicing up a kitchen or any living space. We create custom 3-D printed knobs, pulls, and hooks to add to all of your cabinetry! You create a design and we create the product. The possibilities are endless! Look at our website to see if we have what you are looking for! Your Passion Your Design Your Hardware

Here are some examples of our products:

• saratogaswizzlestick
    hace 7 años

It looks like you have a great layout. Absolutely fine I would not change the doors. Chances are you would not get the same solid quality that old doors have. If you don't like the Oak I would have them professionally painted and make sure they use filler if you don't want to see too much grain showing through. Change the hardware perhaps beef up the crown molding and pick the countertop and backsplash of your choice and you will have a very nice kitchen.

• Valinta
    hace 7 años

I have same color, but square, no arched insets.I had the kitchen shop from whwer these came come and measure for additional small cabinets to the ceiling all around.. Got rid of the crown molding trim on top edge, created additional storeage for seasonal items, AND I don't have to try and dust it anymore -- which is the best part.. I don't have any hardware on mine, but changing yours out is a great idea.. Just make sure the measurement for the holes.

• PRO
    Closet Factory
    hace 7 años

Instead of using only cabinets, which can make the space feel flat and dated, try incorporating a mix of organizational elements, from shelves and cubbies to crosshatch racks for wines and oils. Not only does this improve the way you organize your kitchen, it grants visual access to items you might've otherwise forgotten about. Accessories like pull-out wire racks and Lazy Susans can also add a touch of flair and functionality to the space.

Craftsman Wine Cellar · Más información

Walk-in Pantry · Más información

Contemporary Kitchen · Más información

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.