Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_25013470

Ugly

User
hace 7 años

Hi, I have a vase that belonged to my grandmother who has passed. It has a nice shape but is pretty ugly. I want to use it on the left side of my tv to balance out the chair and art on the right side. I'm not sure what to do with it, spray paint? What color? My Livingroom is gray, plum and shades of gold. Any advice would be great! I'm also not sure if it's tall enough to offset the chair and art.

Comentarios (39)

• PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    hace 7 años
    Sell it, it's worth in the low hundreds of dollars. Worth $0 painted.
  • PRO
    Alan Karlin Design
    hace 7 años
    That looks like a Roseville piece of pottery. I'd say too valuable to paint.
  • mramsey
    hace 7 años

and butt ugly, so sell and use the money to buy something that you love so you can remember your grandmother fondly!

• Christie Wheetley
    hace 7 años
    do not spray paint that!! I can not tell from the picture who made it but I know from 7 yrs working in an antique mall it's worth some money. possibly a couple hundred bucks
  • luvourhome
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Take a decent picture of it and frame it beside a picture of your grandma. Keep that on your dresser or another place to remember her. Or keep the pictures on your phone, or both.

Then take the vase in for an appraisal from a couple of places. You can do some of your own research online as well. Sell it. Then take the money and buy a nice piece of jewelry or something special.

You get the best of all worlds. Your Grandma would be happy knowing she is lovingly remembered and likely wouldn't want you to feel guilty about not liking her taste in vases. In any event, remember that guilt is only useful if you have done something wrong. Having different taste in material items doesn't count :-)

• PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    hace 7 años

Ah, a challenge, scootersassy. Keep Grandma's essence but make it your aesthetic. The piecrust edge on the jardinierre is over the top frilly for your place, so I would find another use for it -- utensils in the kitchen, holding snacks under the counter, scarves in the closet, etc. I'm focused however on the stand, which is gorgeous on its own, and I can easily see it brought into this century and into your space fitted with a tall hurricane glass with a pillar candle:

Not sure this is the right item for next to the TV though.

PS - Here are a few quick reasons to keep both pieces of the set, even if you only use the stand: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=roseville+stand&_sacat=0

User agradeció a Barnhart Gallery
  • Tammy Lawhorn
    hace 7 años
    It's beautiful but I definitely would not paint it or use it to balance out the chair. It's too small for that. Can you use it outside somewhere like on a patio or by an entrance door? You could plant an evergreen type plant in it and leave it there
  • smit2380
    hace 7 años

If your grandmother is anything like mine, she would rather this be passed on to someone who really enjoyed it as opposed to ruining it by spray painting it.

• PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    hace 7 años

See if anyone else in your family loves it, if so, give it to someone who will appreciate it.

• Sandybean
    hace 7 años
    Don't know your age, but I think you might change your mind one day. I think it's beautiful. Maybe trade another family member for a keepsake they received.
  • User
    hace 7 años

Those earthy colours are just coming into fashion , terracotta, dark green, other greens, mustard. here's part of an ad from Temple and Webster from this week for example:

You could plan a room around the colours in your jardiniere and be right on trend.

• mramsey
    hace 7 años

It is an inanimate object...a thing...it can be lost, broken or packed away. I remember how I felt when my Grandmother hugged me, her smell, the feel of her soft skin and her beautiful blue eyes. I carry that with me, always. When I am gone, I hope my grandkids remember me, not my things.

• User
    hace 7 años

I'm sure they will, mramsey.

However, things can be a sentimental reminder in our crazy world.

• PRO
    CCM Countertop and Cabinet Manufacturing
    hace 7 años

Put a nice Boston fern in it. It will trail over the sides and hide most of the pattern on the vase, and add a foot or more of height to the piece. It really is a valuable piece - please do not paint it!

• Maureen
    hace 7 años

Regardless of its style, I don't think its size works next to the tv. I also would not paint it or fill it with anything and would just place in a corner (maybe next to window sort of behind the single chair) and appreciate it for a while until you decide - it's a conversation piece and a nice memory at this point and won't hurt staying as is for a bit.

• User
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thanks everyone! I definately will not paint it now. I think I will look into how much it's worth. When my grandma died someone told us it was worth $5000. I really didn't believe it so never checked it out. There really isn't anyone else in the family. I'm an only child and so was my Dad. I'll let you know when I find out it's worth.

• User
    hace 7 años

Turn the pieces over and photograph any markings under them in good light, to post.

• User
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    It does look like a Roseville jardiniere but haven't found it online yet.
  • User
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Unfortunately it doesn't say Rosewood. It just has this on the bottom of the pedestal

• User
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Roseville

• suzyq53
    hace 7 años

Radford Ruko

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    hace 7 años

I was going to McCoy Loy-Nel.

• User
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Found it! It's a Vintage Radford.

• User
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Radford Ruko. Thanks Suzyq53! Is it worth anything?

• jbtanyderi
    hace 7 años
    DO NOT do anything to it - other than selling it. It's a valuable piece, but it's hard to live with something you can't stand.
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    hace 7 años

Around $300-400.00 on ebay. The flower decoration may make it less of more valuable.

Called a "jardiniere" with pedestal.

• suzyq53
    hace 7 años

Maybe to a collector or historical society. Probably not as popular these days. Some of the vintage art pottery is really classic and limited and passed down as heirlooms, but this shiny kind isn't so much.

• erinsean
    hace 7 años

I would get it appraised, just so I knew what it was worth. And since it is from your grandmother, I would put a plant in it....one that trails down. You could put a pot inside of your pottery so that you would change plants if you wanted to. I really like it, no matter if it is worth anything or not. Of course I am probably your grandmother's age.

• groveraxle
    hace 7 años

Final Offer Radford Ruko Pottery Ruffled RIM Jardiniere AND Pedestal | eBay · Más información

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/331608533620

User agradeció a groveraxle
  • User
    hace 7 años

Haha, it's been said so many times before, but Grover,,you're brilliant.

• suzyq53
    hace 7 años

Luxor has a good point if interest rates ever rise again. Otherwise $300 compounded at 1% will get be about $370 in 20 years. With inflation you might be able to buy a pair of flip flops. Good luck!

• Sammy
    hace 7 años

Unless you're desperate for the money you'd get from selling it, pack it up in lots of bubble wrap, put it in a clearly-labeled box (perhaps with a picture of it taped to it), and stick it in your closet. Who knows, some day one of your kids (or you!) will develop an interest in this type of pottery, and suddenly you'll remember you have this "treasure" in your own closet! I can't even tell you how many times I've seen something from another era on tv and said to my mom, "Oh my gosh, I LOVE that!!!" only for her to say (very non-chalantly), "Oh, I had one of those," followed by, "I don't know; I guess I threw it away or donated it." UGH...MOM!!!!!!!

• User
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

I'm 54 so past the age of frivolous spending and at the age of retirement savings! Lots of good suggestions here. I actually saw that eBay post but it didn't say the price. Thanks Grover. Good thing I decided to post this on Houzz or I would never have known any of this. Thanks everybody who contributed

• Lila
    hace 7 años

I inherited a lot of Royal Doultan figurines and Royal Albert china. While they might appraise at a certain value it was impossible to sell them because they are out of fashion now. I suspect the same will be true of your vase.

• User
    hace 7 años

Plants are hugely fashionable. Display a plant in it.

• PRO
    CCM Countertop and Cabinet Manufacturing
    hace 7 años

A good florist could probably make a beautiful silk flower arrangement in it, so you wouldn't have any water damage or drainage issues to contend with. Just a thought!

• User
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

I sent out some appraisal requests. So far only about $300. Probably just save it for my kids and maybe it will become worth more.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.