Houzz Logo Print
ascorsonelli

New-ish construction is a blank slate

ascorsonelli
hace 7 años

Hello all! DH has been hounding me to come up with a flower bed plan for our new home. Moved in late February and have mostly established grass (hydromulched last month and added a couple pallets of sod yesterday).

To the left and right of the front porch, we've left about 4-5' deep to add a flower bed. Would love any ideas! East Texas 8b. Front of the house and right side get partial sun (faces east) and the left side gets full sun.

Looking at the house, the septic, a/c, generator, and outdoor shower are on the left. I think I'd like to screen that off with a trellis and vine, but open to other suggestions.

Also, any ideas for the rain chains on the two outermost columns?

Thanks in advance! New to gardening, though I've managed to keep my container plants alive for a while now. Well...... except for those sad looking ferns flanking the door. Ignore those. ;)

Comentarios (6)

• ascorsonelli
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

I'll have to take a couple more pictures tonight. It's a country house.... no sidewalk. Gravel drive is just to the right of that strip of grass. Planning to add stepping pavers from the parking area (the end of the drive) to the back porch. No one enters through the front door.

• ascorsonelli
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

End of drive in line with back porch.

Slight slope on the sides. More prominent in the front.

Standing on the corner and looking away from the house.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    hace 7 años

In spite of the fact that all the pictures are from different points of view and can't be connected into a single, cohesive view, I think I understand the basic elements. Still, since there's no single, connected view, so there's no good way to graphically communicate information back to you (except in piecemeal fashion (which is time consuming and doesn't produce a very good result.) The last picture shows a tree but I'm not sure how far this is from the house. It would be important to know. In the first picture, the camera seems very low to the ground. As a result, what would be the typical foundation planting bed area, shows pretty much non-existent. What are the chances of getting a single, simple, contiguous set of pictures all taken from a central point of view? Here's how: If the gravel drive is not too far from the front of your house, stand in line with the tree. While staying in line with the tree, move so that you are also standing in line with the front door (at a point where these two lines intersect.) Then aim the camera leftward (so that the tree shows up in the picture) and take the picture. While staying in the same spot, pivot the camera a little to the right and take another picture that overlaps slightly with the first. Continue panning the camera while taking slightly overlapping pictures until you have taken one that aims to the right (opposite of the first picture.) Post these and we will be able to see the whole scene as if we were standing in the same spot you are standing in. One caution, if there is a hill that makes the camera very low while standing in the spot (as the first picture above seems) then stand on a step ladder or in the bed of a pickup or something so as to raise the camera level (for all pictures ... they must be from same viewpoint.)

ascorsonelli agradeció a Yardvaark
  • ascorsonelli
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

You hit it on the nose--the hill makes for a troublesome angle. I'll try again from an elevated position.

• PRO
    Front Appeal
    hace 7 años

Ascorsonelli - Great
    looking house, love the front porch.
    Being a blank slate, you have many options and the ability to create the
    landscape to your specific taste. The
    architecture of your home works with a range of landscape styles, from a
    traditional look or a more contemporary feel.

Symmetrical design for a traditional look.

Modern feel with clean lines and simple planting.

A couple real quick ideas:

- -anchor each corner of the house with a
    multi-stem tree

- - add shrubs along the homes of foundation on
    either side the porch

- - flowering perennials or low of ornamental
    grasses in front the shrubs and porch

- - could also add shrubs at two outside columns

- - leave a space in planting directly in front of
    door and add stepping stones out to lawn

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.