Houzz Logo Print
mr_adams47

How do I establish my crape myrtle?

M. Adams
hace 7 años

Hello everyone!

I am looking for advice on establishing my muskogee crape myrtle (about 5 feet tall).

I've read to water it 5x a day for the first two months. Then to water only during drought. Any other suggestions?

Comentarios (13)

• M. Adams
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Also, about how much water during each feeding? I am in Jacksonville, FL (Zone 9a)

And I meant 5x per week.

• User
    hace 7 años

I agree with that, as long as your soil drains well. I usually water my new ones every other day, by putting a hose near the trunk and letting it drip (not drop by drop, but running very slowly, making sure of no run-off) until I know the root ball is irrigated. Amount time varies by soil, I normally do it for an hour. Once a Crape is established (usually by year 2, depending on a few factors), I never water them. They're extremely drought-tolerant once established, but very sensitive to drying out the first year. In 25+ yrs I've lost one Crape Myrtle to drying out ... never lost one to being overwatered.

You may need to water frequently for more than a couple of months, depending on rainfall in your area. I'm in Texas, and our Fall is usually pretty hot and dry.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    hace 7 años

water it deeply ...

then dont water it again.. until your finger.. inserted about 2 inches.. indicates the soil is drying ...

shall we presume it is properly mulched???

if you dont FIND out.. with your finger.. or a teaspoon or something.. then you are guessing ... and that is a problem ...

in the heat of summer.. it will need a lot more water.. than it will come fall or winter.. and your finger will tell you how much longer between waterings ... so you will know.. when to cut back ...

your finger will also take into account.. rain that keep the soil moist ...

how it all works in your area.. in your soil .. with your weather.. is all about your finger ... you can read all you want .. and we can tell you all kinds of ideas ... but you have to figure it out in your garden

you sound excited about it.. have fun with it ...

ken

• Embothrium
    hace 7 años

How often depends on the soil and the weather. And if the natural soil is much different in texture than the soil the tree came in watch that this soil does not dry out despite frequent watering, that keeps the existing soil moist. What often happens when trees are planted with intact root-balls is the soil around the tree having a greater attraction for water, so that the tree is always drying out despite watering. The resulting susceptibility to drought does not end until the tree roots into the native soil.

Plants often come from retail outlets with severe nutrient deficiencies, that may not always show much in the color of the foliage. So fertilizing your new tree enough to be sure it is in good shape is worthwhile. But otherwise summer fertilization is undesirable if it results in the production of a major flush of tender new growth, in any situation where falling behind on watering even one time on a hot day is possible.

• M. Adams
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thanks everyone for some informative reading!

I've been shoving my finger in the ground and with the lack of rain, it seems daily water for a while will be the way to go. I've been focusing more on slow watering too.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    hace 7 años

and.. its my opinion.. being a TREE .. it will never need to be FED .. its not a child ... so no fertilization is needed ...

ken

• User
    hace 7 años

Crape Myrtles only bloom on new growth, so yes, it's a good idea to fertilize, if desired ... but I wouldn't over-do it.

• Embothrium
    hace 7 años

Need for fertilization is unrelated to what broad category of plant a specimen is.

• PRO
    Caldwell Home & Garden
    hace 7 años

No variety of crepe myrtle needs to be fertilized, I agree with ken on
    the water issue. Don't fertilize, too much can minimize blooming.

• PRO
    CrapeMyrtleGuy
    hace 7 años

Crapes don't need to be watered too much. Water, let it dry out, then water again. Crapes are super tough.

• kentrees12
    hace 7 años

Hmmm, middle of summer in Jacksonville FL, newly planted, probably a canned specimen grown in super light medium, probably planted in sandy native soil and everyone is worried about TOO MUCH WATER???!!!

• User
    hace 7 años

No, not "everyone".

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.