Houzz Logo Print
ben_smith48

Can you make an Ugly 1960's ex council house look contemporary?

Ben Smith
hace 7 años

Hi,

The house is in a great location, the inside is lovely but unfortunately it's an end of terrace in a street full of the same ugly buildings

Does anyone have any ideas on how we could make it look more contemporary?

Comentarios (14)

• Jonathan
    hace 7 años
    For me the problem is the fussy windows and external pipes.
    See if you can make the pipes internal and then consider making the window frames simpler.
  • Kevin Jovinsie
    hace 7 años
    the result of my sketch. hope you like it. thanks
  • A Babbsy
    hace 7 años
    Is the boundary the edge of the property or is the side gate / fence yours too?

Depending on your budget of course but a new front door & coloured cladding would make a big difference imo.

Aswell as new paving to the front, maybe with some beds or planters to add a bit or greenery / interest.
  • Joanne Riches
    hace 7 años
    Get rid of the cladding or paint it another colour! Put a grass lawn in the front and some flower beds. With regard to the Windows some nice blinds X
  • PRO
    User
    hace 7 años
    I would personally suggest covering the house in white render, then increasing the glazed areas with aluminium framed windows and doors.

This should enable you to give the house a modern touch and increase the amount of light entering your property.
  • PRO
    Create Perfect
    hace 7 años

Hi Ben,

I am inclined to agree with Design Bi-folds but it is tough when you are in a row like that as it is nice to take into account you surroundings too and not make it stick out like a sore thumb against its back drop.. although sometimes this is what people want. What do you want?

Have you looked at the other properties? have any had their windows redone or pulled up the slabs to make way for a garden area at the front?

What style do you have in side?

If your budget is fairly small I would consider painting the cladding in a contemporary colour and some foliage in the front and especially up the side of the wall would make a great difference to the feel of the property. If it is larger then replacing windows and doors plus creating a small front garden area and if it is even larger then rendering the front with aluminium windows and door is definitely your best option.

You have lots of options so do not lose hope. If you require any further assistance with anything, please do feel free to drop us a message.

All the best,
    Gina

• PRO
    Signature Interiors
    hace 7 años

The white cladding is the wrong colour for the bricks but bricks can also be painted. I'd lift some of the hardstanding and introduce greenery with some shape and curves.

• PRO
    Create Perfect
    hace 7 años
    That is great news.
    Once you start, hopefully it encourage them to start changing there's too. It's great to hear your first post has been productive! Good luck and let us know how you get on.
  • PRO
    Leicht UK
    hace 7 años

Paint the piping/rail a great bright colour, add some plants, and change the door to something bright and colourful. Painting the cladding would be fantastic too!

• PRO
    50 Degrees North Architects
    hace 7 años

We renovated this 1960s townhouse in Richmond and used Velfac windows in light grey. We think they look great!

We also think that this 1960s townhouse project completed by Archmongers is pretty cool: http://www.dezeen.com/2015/12/24/archmongers-clock-house-1960s-london-terrace-renovation-extension-handmade-glazed-tiles-dont-move-improve-2016/

• PRO
    Bluemouse Ltd
    hace 7 años

1960s houses have huge potential. Replacing those windows and the door would make a huge difference - think really carefully about how the verticals line up, keep it simple and go for a grey frame in aluminum or a timber/aluminum composite. It really is worth considering asking an architect to help you - most will offer a reduced service if you just want some help updating the facade.

• PRO
    Wood Window Alliance
    hace 7 años

It's an interesting-looking house. 60s architecture is fashionable nowadays. I would try and find out how it looked when it was built and get as close to that as possible. Then it will always be 'right'. If you modernise, it will just go out of fashion again. Timber windows of course.

• PRO
    Balance Design Ltd
    hace 7 años

Hi Ben

I think I'd look at painting the brickwork white and re cladding the outside with cedar which will give the house an on trend feel without essentially changing the intrinsic style. I would look to replace the windows if I could with something along the lines of the Velfac ones above if the budget will allow, and put in a new front door with a vertical glass panel that runs pretty much full length down the door. I'd pot up some planters with colours that work with the cedar such as soft blues/ochres and maybe a pop of coppery orange and also paint the front door in a muted colour such as denim grey which is on trend and will work with the cedar as it weathers.

That should take the house from Sixties relic to Scandi trend setter.

Hope that helps.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.