Houzz Logo Print
edubya

POLL: Fabric or Leather Sofa?

Emily H
hace 7 años

The Sandberg Home · Más información

When it comes to a sofa for your home, do you prefer to lounge on a fabric or leather one?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments!

Fabric
Leather
Other - Tell us below

Comentarios (158)

• PRO
    Urban Futons - Dr. Futonberg
    hace 7 años

I have sold both leather and fabric sofas for over 10 years. Leather has it's advantages as far as cleaning and dusting. Do not fall for bonded leather or vinyl unless you plan on tossing the sofa bed out in 5 years or less. Only genuine leather is worthy of investment. Genuine leather will last longer than fabric. Fabric is good as well, but don't fall for cheap microfiber. I think the best advice is to look into a futon with a separate mattress and frame as well as a removable cover. Futons will last longer, save space, are more comfortable, and much easier to update because it's piece by piece.

UrbanFutonbeds.com

If you're not into the futon look, check out click clack convertible sofa beds with bottom storage byIstikbal

• Jenn TheCaLLisComingFromInsideTheHouse
    hace 7 años

I think it's worthwhile to point out that not all microfiber is created equal. The cover on my 'wallhugger' loveseat+ottoman has held up very well, same with the solid wood frame. I like that even when it needs to be converted to the sleeping position it doesn't have to be moved and the back (though made of wood) looks more like regular living room seating.

• PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    hace 7 años

Leather is hot in summer and cold in winter...I hate my leather seats in my car...so fabric sofa for me, anytime !

• PRO
    The Quiet Moose
    hace 7 años

I like the look of both, but I prefer lounging on a fabric sofa for sure! I love pairing a couple of nice leather armchairs with a sofa when applicable.

• Alexandra Richards
    hace 7 años

Both!

• PRO
    KIND Interiors & Exteriors
    hace 7 años

Both - leather for only Chesterfields and fabric sofa for everyday use.

• PRO
    Colorful Concepts Interior Design
    hace 7 años

In regards to both fabric and leather, each come in a variety of colors, textures, and sheens. The sofas below are soft, textured fabric sofas with leather welting!

Fairview Row Living Room, TV above Mantel · Más información

• machapman1
    hace 7 años

This is lovely to look at, but I would never want to live with white sofas, particularly fabric. Leather, maybe, but not likely.

• julesxoxo
    hace 7 años
    This is a constant argument in my home. Husband wants a leather couch.
    I do not like leather, not in my home or in my car. I stick to it in summer and it's cold and uninviting in the winter, and slippery, pillows and throws slide off. And I also don't like how leather couches wear.
    He will never win this argument with me, lol.
  • summersrhythm_z6a
    hace 7 años

Leather is easier to care, I use Leather New on leather sofas.

• PRO
    not applicable
    hace 7 años

dogs = leather (easier to care for the dog hair)

• PRO
    Lumon
    hace 7 años

Fabric is cozier. Leather gets so cold on winter mornings!

• PRO
    Raegan Ford Interior Design
    hace 7 años

Depends on the function - I love the look of leather, but it's probably not as comfy for kids/family as fabric is!

• anniem96
    hace 7 años

I like the look of leather and it's much more hygienic than fabric as it's so easy to keep clean (like wood floors as opposed to carpets). However, after having two leather sofas suites in the past I find it too cold in the winter. Another way of getting round that is to use throws in the winter but I personally don't like throws everywhere especially if it's a modern suite. So, fabric for me even though I have dust mite allergies and leather would be more suited.

• PRO
    Cameron's Design
    hace 7 años

Fabric goes better with my decor and is just as comfortable as leather.

• D. L.
    hace 7 años

I have leather now and have had it in half of my cars. I find it cold sometimes and hot sometimes and for comfort I prefer fabric.

But my dog always rubbed his head against the fabric and fur removal was difficult, plus spills and the fabric couches and fabric car seats all took a beating, so for now I am practical in the house and have fabric, which is annoying me currently in my car, but leather annoyed me in the hot / cold way, so it is more of a choice of which way I would prefer to be annoyed.

My brother just switched to leather, too and his 20 year old fabric couch had this endearing charming fabric, which greeted everyone like a cheerful friend and was its own focal point and now he has black leather recliner couch and it is a totally different experience socializing at his house.

• Crystal Wessells
    hace 6 años

Leather, hands down!

While fabric offers much more in terms of variety (styles, color choice etc.) - it's just not practical. Cleaning leather is so much easier, and it's more sanitary! Like another poster said, I just cant help to think how much odor, sweat, dust, pet hair and dead skin cells that become embedded into the fabric that you're sitting on! This is the same reason I don't have carpet in my house. The thought of it really makes me cringe - LOL :)

Leather, just a light dusting or swipe with a cleansing cloth and you're done! I clean my leather sofas from top to bottom twice a month and it takes 15 minutes.

As far as the stickiness - not an issue - we've never "stuck" to our furniture :)

• The Queen
    hace 6 años
    Hello Emily :) I would say fabric only because it's more comfortable rather as many people already mentioned it gets this sticky feeling like if your wearing shorts lol. I'm not sure how it could get hot being it's inside ur house not your car but could happen I guess... regardless fabric also has the benefit of having more patterns and styles :) Interior design also correlates on which one you should choose. So it all goes down to your preference lol.
  • PRO
    dreamdoctor
    hace 6 años

Leather is the skin of dead animals - like that is not gross? A leather couch is covered in dead skin cells. Visit a slaughter factory (lovely name) and then rethink it a bit. Seriously.

• Vicki Magee
    hace 6 años

When I finished my new home I got leather sofas for it. After just a few days I realized this wasn't going to work. I really use my sofas to lounge on and leather isn't very comforting. Thankfully, the place I got them agreed to switch them to something else. I decided on denim slipcovered sofas! This was the best thing I ever did. I don't have to worry about anything with them and they are so comfortable. And if they get soiled and they do with 2 dogs, I only have to wash them and put them back on and they look new. And like denim does, it is fading naturally. I can foresee me keeping this set forever as it is only going to get better with age.

• Crystal Wessells
    hace 6 años

@Dreamdoctor - you're coming at this with a sense of logic that isn't relevant to the end product being in your home. Your argument sounds like more of a moral issue rather than one's preferences on the look, feel and practical use of home furnishings. If you're trying to convince me that the "material" used and process involved in making a leather sofa means that I am sitting on a disgusting, unsanitary large piece of skin (almost as if it came straight off the bloody cow right into my living room) - I'm just not buying it. Let's not be extreme, man :)

• PRO
    dreamdoctor
    hace 6 años

Crystal - you are correct - quite an extremes position for this thread. My decisions are bigger than "I want " and I understand the implications and the contentedness of my decisions. I would not use newly harvested, old growth redwood either - yes - origin of the material is important to me - there are some lines I just don't cross. Not a big fan of sustainability I'm thinking?The rivers and lakes are disgusting where I live from the crops raised and the feedlots used to raise animals for slaughter - and the end result is heart disease (do your research) and dead zones in the Gulf. There is really nothing about animal products that I find attractive especially since there are so many better alternatives.

• PRO
    FreshCoat Painters Sarasota/Manatee
    hace 6 años

Leather feels comfy and clean!

• D. L.
    hace 6 años

There are strengths and weaknesses to each and I have had both.

Leather is stronger and easier to clean, but when I walk out to the living room in the middle of night, when I can't sleep, if my skin touches the leather it is too cold and it can stick to your legs when you are wearing shorts or a bathing suit in the Summer.

It isn't as soothing in appearance either. Fabric looks softer and feels cozy, but holds odors better and I have a dog and it was a pain in the neck getting the dog fur off.

• PRO
    Laurie Mattson Interiors
    hace 6 años

Fabric for me! In Minnesota, the leather can be hot in the summer and cold in the winter.

hace 6 años

I prefer not to think about what happens before the steak gets to my table, or the chicken breast arrives on the plate. I know what is involved, I just don't dwell on it at mealtimes.

I also know that whether I choose to buy animal products or not, the animals will continue to be raised and slaughtered for a wide variety of purposes from clothing, shoes, and furniture to the grocery store and restaurants. I don't want a leather sofa, but think it's silly for what small portion of the total I purchase in meat for consumption to go to waste given how much already does because of how the marketplace operates (mass quantities shipped to stores which safety and related regulations lead to obligatory disposal of a varying percentage of the total). So, I'll be happy with my manufactured LVP floors, synthetic material-comprised carpet, and fabric upholstered furniture as the mister and I sit down at our glass top with metal base dining table to enjoy eggs, beef, chicken and such while wearing mostly natural material clothing (to be fair some is synthetic but comfortable - similar to our shoes, some are leather, most are not genuine leather as I find that man-made materials like the 'fake stuff' forms better to my feet with time and wearing).

• PRO
    dreamdoctor
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

Most people prefer not to think about what happens after the table either - animal products are the major source of heart disease. I used to be a total meathead/animal products fan - turned out dairy was causing increasingly bad acid reflux and osteoporosis in my spouse. I am mildly allergic to eggs and eating meat made me feel sluggish and bloated which made doing any kind of physical activity not very attractive. Like smoking, at some point it became unattractive in many ways so I stopped. Environmentally, meat/animal production is a disaster which is becoming more of an issue every day - it is not academic to me as I live in the middle of it. Raising animals like that literally stinks - vegetable crops don't. The reason leather is affordable is they have to get rid of all the animals' skin that is removed after killing them before they are slaughtered - eat no meat - not profitable any more - no cheap leather sofas - healthier people. Oh well, I won't miss the smell, the polluted water and poorly farmed land. I've never owned a piece of leather furniture and don't intend to - I know its effects on many things I hold dear.

hace 6 años

@Dreamdoctor

There's a poultry farm in the state, which I am glad to not be subjected to the smell of carried by the wind, yet I do eat poultry and eggs. I'd rather the place not exist, but see it's necessity - because of the jobs that it provides to the extremely poor (and typically also the most recently arrived) immigrants, however - my deepest wish is that the government would step in more firmly to protect the workers and punish the frequent as well as abhorrent violations of currently existing regulations and laws. Whether they be Guatemalans, Somali, or Indonesian they do not deserve to work in dangerous conditions with the employer being able to skirt the laws in order to deny them healthcare and medical treatment after they lose a leg at age 18 because their supervisor ordered them to perform a task without following protocol, then once discharged from the hospital they are sent back to Guatemala to languish after the employer workers comp insurer denies the claim (for example). They are hard workers and literally put their long term physical well-being at risk for very little pay. They go back to their native country because they cannot afford to stay without the means to work due to the injury (or injuries) they sustain on the job, and this particular employer is well known for its flouting of labor safety regulations but the government does pretty much nothing to stop it - when the people are put in a position where they have no alternative but to leave the country there is little option anyway.

• Rio Brewster
    hace 6 años

@Dreamdoctor

Please take your (reclaimed wood) soapbox elsewhere.

• PRO
    dreamdoctor
    hace 6 años

My apologies - I forgot a basic truth - if one must speak the truth one should make it funny or have one foot in the stirrup. I am not of the subjective collectivism "we" I am an individual and think for myself. That is philosophy - of no use to you either. Plant based diets are often proceeded by a heart attack - seriously - connect the dots.

Hot wings and blue cheese dip anyone?

The same reason we have so much leather available is the reason hot wings are promoted so heavily - it is garbage the industry needs to get rid of - if marketed correctly it can be very profitable garbage - wings used to be second class cat food now it is the most expensive part of the chicken. The producers want maximum profit and your or the environment's health is of secondary or no concern. You are a great consumer - you should get an award of some sort.

hace 6 años

No thank you - but really life can be harsh enough, must everything 'fun' yet probably bad for us be ruined too?

• PRO
    dreamdoctor
    hace 6 años

It's nice to have some idea of what is what. If you live an an isolated island fine but our actions affect others often in ways we are unaware of. Sticking your head in the sand means your rear end is exposed. I wouldn't mind living on the Nile but not so much in denial. If you feel great and healthy is it not good to share that with others? I see many people that seem to have a death wish - their diet (whether food or fashion) consists wholly of heavily advertised Kool aide of one sort or another. One of my tenants/observations in life is - the more heavily something is advertised the more profitable it is. Not many commercials for organic Butterhead lettuce of vegan restaurants right? Soda pop, chicken wings, steaks, potato chips, leather, cars cellphones and bratwurst on the other hand.....

hace 6 años

That's where 'all things in moderation, while skipping the really really terrible (like cigarettes)" can be employed.

Regardless, it's unlikely that anyone who isn't already primed to hear something will be convinced or converted to change their ways based on what a however-well-intended stranger is saying. In some cases, the more you tell someone that they are foolish and unenlightened followed by a revelation on what they *should* be thinking and doing the more they will dig in their heels and sometimes they will go one step further with a bad decision to a worse one.

• PRO
    dreamdoctor
    hace 6 años

I suppose. But we are learning, slowly - remember when 9 out of 10 doctors recommended Kent brand cigarettes on TV? The bad news/health implications was kept secret by the tobacco companies. Once you're hooked/conditioned to think certain ways all reasoning and logic goes out the window - what will we figure out after the fact? Climate change - we are manking token gestures.

I have seen many clients sabotage their own projects - they cannot be helped. I do what I can. My uncle passed recently from the good life (heart attack) after many years of my trying to get him to entertain a diet change - many people miss him including myself - I am watching the health of the planet degenerate in a similar manner. He could have made sensible changes, so can we all. Ignorance is bliss.

Thank you for being civil and open-minded.

hace 6 años

I am not old enough to remember cigarette ads on tv, I do recall there being some media attention when they added billboards and magazines to the 'no go' list for tobacco companies adverts.

We're all going to die eventually, some sooner than others but it will happen to all one day. It can be overwhelming to face the bad news one can find in any direction they would look, makes it hard to see any good that might be present - especially the good we have to go and purposely find (maybe a little too well hidden?) amongst all the horrible, terrible, no good and very bad things. I'm not saying one should rush towards death headlong at the fastest rate of travel possible, but a life free of any indulgence however small is a life one isn't enjoying or will soon turn into all indulgence all of the time.

• Rio Brewster
    hace 6 años

Since we're being open minded...

I submit that a leather couch is better for the environment. Our leather couches lasted 2 -3 times as long as the fabric ones. That means:

1 - fewer trees were cut down

2 - less waste was produced from manufacturing whatever synthetic materials were used instead of leather

3 - less discarded furniture in the landfill.

And if I choose to consume meat or dairy products and it shortens my life then at least I enjoyed my time while I'm here, and an earlier death has significantly reduced my carbon footprint.

So take your vegan rantings to FaceBook and let me enjoy my steak dinner and my beautiful red leather couch in peace.

Thank you.

• PRO
    dreamdoctor
    hace 6 años

When I meet people I decide if I want to be around them anymore than I have to. One of the criteria I use is whether I would want then to have control over my life and I determine that by observing the decisions they make and how they make them.

Rio - do you live in an area of massive live stock production? I'm not aware of any couches covered in wood. Can you post a picture? Cheap cloth/material does not last long - true.

I am of the Aristotle philosophy rather than Plato or Kant. My freedom/health/enjoyment ends where yours starts I guess - you support the feed lot across from my house - a least it is a small operation. I prefer a smaller footprint. Do some research; feelings and logical fallacies/unsupported assumptions are not the basis of satisfying debate. I don't go on Facebook.

Your enjoyment of "the good life" drives up the cost of my heath insurance and makes my world stink and the water unswimmable/unenjoyable in my state; my apologies for bringing this to your attention.

Einstein was a vegetarian. Research would tell you who else is, the company is pretty heady. Trump and Roy Moore are decidedly not. I'm done.

• Vicki Magee
    hace 6 años

Wow this is really getting off the topic of leather versus fabric for sofas but along the same lines as what we’re talking about here I wanted to share something that happened to me yesterday. I was a part of a conversation in a non-consumer group where we just discuss ways to not have to consume so much. Someone was talking about a baby shower and whether they should have to pay for the drinks. I brought up the point that a baby shower should be to give support to the mother and the baby and not to have to appease all the appetites of the guests. I was met with the same kind of response that you were being met with where people are telling you to get off of your soapbox. Someone in the group did not like it because I was pointing out that this was excess consumerism and was missing the point.

I don’t understand why we’re not allowed to speak the truth of any situation and let it be held for its own merit. Why do we have to be sanctioned and told what not to talk about in a public forum.

hace 6 años

I’m more of a Nietzsche type.

• Vicki Magee
    hace 6 años

Jenn, give an example if possible! Interesting.

hace 6 años

...no other virtue gets more, or more unqualified, praise in the
    Nietzschean corpus: honesty is “our virtue, the last
    one left to us”...

• Vicki Magee
    hace 6 años

I thought you were Nietzschean type in your Decor! LOL. Ok, so you were responding to our philosophy. Got it! Thanks. Yes... honesty!

hace 6 años

Oh, well my Nietzschean type decor is a sofa that aspires to hold power over the entire house and its inhabitants, because power is what all furniture (and people) want. It's a principle motive for people, sofas, ottomans and even sideboards! ;)

• billiesue14
    hace 6 años
    Jenn, I was about to give up on this thread as having become intolerably tedious and self righteous. I'm glad I didn't because your power hungry furniture gave me such a laugh! Thanks.
    hace 6 años

What else could a sofa with chaise in a brilliant shade of sapphire blue velvet want but power?? And power over the living room it has in abundance! It's a power-statement piece! :P

• Draven McCurdy
    hace 6 años

Leather Sofas can make a room feel very luxurious, but can be very uncomfortable (hot, sticky, ect.) maybe you could have a fabric sofa and leather armchairs or ottoman.

• PRO
    J Design Group - Interior Designers Miami - Modern
    hace 6 años

Fabric sofas are very comfortable!!!!

J Design Group
    225 Malaga Ave
    Coral Gables, FL 33134
    Ph: 305-444-4611
    https://
    www.JDesignGroup.com

• PRO
    Article
    hace 6 años

People often reach out to us looking for advice when trying to decide between leather and fabric for their sofa. We get this question so often we wrote an in-depth answer to help you make this decision. We took a look at the difference in maintenance, dealing with spills, comfort, and life factors that will help you make the right decision for you and your situation.

Read: how to choose between a fabric vs leather sofa.

• Amelia Evergreen
    hace 8 meses

When it comes to a couch for my home, I don't have a strict preference for fabric or leather. Each has its unique appeal. A fabric couch offers a cozy and warm feel, making it great for lounging and relaxation. It also comes in a wide variety of colors and patterns, allowing for more customisation to match the decor. On the other hand, a leather couch exudes elegance and sophistication. Its smooth surface is easy to clean and can add a touch of luxury to the living space. Ultimately, my choice would depend on the overall aesthetic and functionality I'm looking for in my home at that particular time.

I've found a great selection of Couches for sale here in SA that have both leather and fabric options.

• PRO
    dreamdoctor
    hace 8 meses

Leather is some animal's skin. Gross.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.