Houzz Logo Print
annabel_kirwan

Should I or shouldn't I paint the brick?

Annabel Kirwan
hace 7 años
We bought the house 18 months ago from a family who owned it for 30 years and did some great updates along the way including this shelving - which was a cherry wood when we moved in but soon we had it painted pearl white and added the silver hardware. I have vacillated since then over whether to paint the brick as I feel as I have brought the decor in the room as far as it can go. In the winter we light the open fire every night so I'm not sure if this would stain with smoke!? Please advise on what your opinion is

Comentarios (52)

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

I like the contrast between the white cabinets and the brick. I'd leave it alone. However, spencerbrooke's whitewashed brick looks wonderful!

Annabel Kirwan agradeció a Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 7 años

Paint or whitewash the brick

Annabel Kirwan agradeció a BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Tobin Hartman
    hace 7 años
    Paint it
    Annabel Kirwan agradeció a Tobin Hartman
  • User
    hace 7 años

Do not paint the brick, it's nice.

Annabel Kirwan agradeció a User
  • Liz H
    hace 7 años
    I prefer the brick, but I think paint would look better than whitewash.
    Annabel Kirwan agradeció a Liz H
  • User
    hace 7 años

Light paint is going to draw attention to the fact your fireplace is off center. I only noticed it on studying it. It's not noticeable with the dark brick.

Annabel Kirwan agradeció a User
  • jhmarie
    hace 7 años

Don't paint it. I am wondering how long it will be before the forum has many asking, "How do I remove the paint from this brick?"

Annabel Kirwan agradeció a jhmarie
  • suezbell
    hace 7 años

Nice fireplace and built ins on each side of the fireplace.

No, you should not paint or white wash the brick. Anything painted or white washed will inevitably need to be repainted or white washed again and begin to look awful as it gets that way.

That high white "mantel" / "shelf" above the fireplace needs to go -- if it is supposed to be the mantel, it is way too high; if it is supposed to be a shelf, it's way to awkward looking.

This is closer to what it needs to be:

https://marble.com/uploads/albums/305/640X360/xIp0HgiZfEbjBqvSaU3P.jpg

In no small part because you already have a high hearth, you need a mantel that is only about 6"-8" above the fire box and a fireplace surround -- posts supporting the mantel -- that is the same distance from the fire box on each side -- higher is way to high. You can paint that mantel and wood white or, preferably, leave it a natural wood finish.

Outside that surround w/mantel-- on each side and above the mantel, if you paint the mantel and surround white, then you can cover the rest of the brick above the hearth and outside the fireplace surround --- use natural wood paneling leaving it the natural wood finish. If you leave the mantel natural wood finish, then you could paint the wall around it white. Don't paint the entire area between the two built ins all white because too much white is ... just ... too ... much ... white. Add a tv atop the mantel or add a single large clock or piece of artwork -- picture that appeals to you or even pressed metal wall sculpture -- on the paneled wall above the mantel.

Do not paint, stain or cover any part of the top of the hearth -- this is both for looks and for safety reasons.

Annabel Kirwan agradeció a suezbell
  • chunwong
    hace 7 años
    I would not paint the brick only because this is nice looking brick with a lot of character. However, I would replace the mantel with a taller, more substantial and rustic looking wood mantel in a natural wood finish.
    Annabel Kirwan agradeció a chunwong
  • lucidos
    hace 7 años

The brick used is Old Chicago and it compliments the paint that you covered the built-in with. I suggest that you add a few more white faces to a small selection of the bricks and perhaps an occasional grey to tie the hardware and furnishings together. Another thing you can do is add a large silver vase to the hearth. Also add some of your accent color to the mantel.

Annabel Kirwan agradeció a lucidos
  • Irene Morresey
    hace 7 años
    I like the brick, you could put white boards above mantel to cover some of the brick.
    Annabel Kirwan agradeció a Irene Morresey
  • Guadalupe Rodriguez
    hace 7 años

Paint it

Annabel Kirwan agradeció a Guadalupe Rodriguez
  • altadavey
    hace 7 años
    We painted ours years ago, and have never regretted doing so! We primed with Bin first, then used our paint.
  • jmm1837
    hace 7 años

I like the brick just as is. It's got an organic, earthy look to it. Paint it, and you're just going to have a bland white wall that has lost all that texture and looks like every other bland modern house.

Annabel Kirwan agradeció a jmm1837
  • lauras53
    hace 7 años
    I agree with suez bell, remove the mantle.
    Annabel Kirwan agradeció a lauras53
  • G
    hace 7 años
    You also need to caulk around the top of your bookcases.
    Annabel Kirwan agradeció a G
  • Annabel Kirwan
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Wow - thanks everyone. No wonder I have pondered on this for so long. So many good arguments for and against. I like the whitewash idea, but agree that it could become dated in a few years. Would I need a professional to whitewash it or is it easily done?

Also - I never really thought about the mantle before but you are all so right - its too high. And yes - the hearth is off center which I only noticed a few months after we moved in!!

• lucidos
    hace 7 años

White washing is not hard. You just need a paint that is watered down and will stick to the brick. There are kits online you can buy - but they are unnecessary...Talk to your local paint store.

I don't agree with a full white wash on your fireplace ans you will then have an un-demarcated expanse.

What may also work here is if you make a photo gallery on a wall and relieve the shelves to larger and fewer items bringing in more of the silver.

Annabel Kirwan agradeció a lucidos
  • chunwong
    hace 7 años
    Your brick that Lucidos is able to identify as "Old Chicago" has a used brick look that I find very charming. Unless you really don't like the look of this brick, don't change it. I think the effect of whitewashing is to add more variation to the finish. Your brick already has that. However, I would change the mantel to one that has more heft. What is there now looks too thin and delicate for the brick. I envision a thicker wood mantel in a wood finish. The mantel running the full width across from side to side helps to disguise the fact that the fireplace is off-centered. The bookcases and crown mouldings look beautiful. I can envision large woven baskets at the side of the hearth. They will add interesting texture and be useful for storing toys or whatever.
    Annabel Kirwan agradeció a chunwong
  • John M
    hace 7 años

I like it. It adds some contrast

Annabel Kirwan agradeció a John M
  • Judy Mishkin
    hace 7 años

if you paint it, you'll notice your floor is orange. i'd leave it be, it blends gently.

Annabel Kirwan agradeció a Judy Mishkin
  • connie912
    hace 7 años
    I actually think that cleaning, decluttering and redecorating could make a big difference that you could enjoy.
    I read to use a foam type, spray on bathroom cleaner on brick. Tried it and it certainly improved appearance on mine and removed smut stains.
    Take away all picture frames and clear out your book cases. Put almost every picture in an album instead. Add back a few decorative items along with one or two of the largest framed pictures. The rule of bookcases that looks nice is one third books, one third decorative items and one third open space.
    Place a large vase, etc. on left of firebox because it's not centered. This will hide that fact.
    It really can look great without painting.
    Annabel Kirwan agradeció a connie912
  • esnoot
    hace 7 años

As a general rule, brick should never be painted over. It destroys the natural breathing qualities of the material.

Annabel Kirwan agradeció a esnoot
  • Kevin Mitschelen
    hace 7 años

esnoot is correct! Stain it. Full disclosure: I work for a company called Masonry Cosmetics and we have a DIY kit that has the ability to change the look of your fireplace without any paint. It allows the brick to "breath". It will not harm your brick and it has been tested in labs as well. Anyway... you can check it out if you desire at http://www.brickmatchkit.com/ or http://www.fireplacemakeovernow.com/

Also, this stain likes itself so... if you choose another color 5 or ten years down the road, you can do that as well.

Annabel Kirwan agradeció a Kevin Mitschelen
  • PRO
    Maison Maya
    hace 7 años

I also think you should leave it.. its beautiful brick and adds character and contrast to the space. But I do think you should change the mantle... adding a large beautiful mantle in the right location will have a great impact.

Annabel Kirwan agradeció a Maison Maya
  • cramps36
    hace 7 años
    The brick is gorgeous. I wouldn't mess with it. I'd lower and beef up the mantle though.
    Annabel Kirwan agradeció a cramps36
  • Jan
    hace 7 años

I don't think I would paint but adding a nice thick board under the mantel top make it look more substantial would look good. Also can you lower the mantel at all? Them you could put a nice painting over the mantel. Ours is a stone but we have added a nice thick mantel and its much better. Some one posted a picture with a board going all the way across the top and that looks good also

Annabel Kirwan agradeció a Jan
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 7 años

Project in Tiburon · Más información
    I'm showing you this for the shelves. Yours really aren't suitable as a photo gallery, and this is overkill, adding so many squares and rectangles to your space. Try 1/3 books, 1/3 large decor and 1/3 open space. You can add three photos on each side in different sizes, perhaps grouping them in layers together. Some of your frames can stand on tables. The rest should go together on a wall as a gallery - possibly in the master or in the hallway to it.

Annabel Kirwan agradeció a decoenthusiaste
  • PRO
    Lone Pine Cabinet
    hace 7 años

I painted my brick fireplace. It was inexpensive and if I didn't like it I figured I'd gut it.

Annabel Kirwan agradeció a Lone Pine Cabinet
  • PRO
    User
    hace 7 años

I agree with the white wash idea. I have done it myself. You can just take some cream coloured latex paint and dilute it with water and then brush it on. Softens everrything but still shows the brick. Great compromise.

• Stacy Oakey
    hace 7 años
    I would leave the brick and ditch the mantle. the high hearth takes its place, and the solid brick wall will be more dramatic.
    Annabel Kirwan agradeció a Stacy Oakey
  • flopsycat1
    hace 7 años

I generally like painted brick, but in your case I'd leave it since I think it adds some warmth to the room. I'm surprised that no one has done a rendering of the room with the bricks painted to help you visualize the options.

i would, however, declutter the hearth and book shelves by removing some of the framed items. Perhaps a couple of simple but colorful ceramic bowls or vases on the shelves would add interest. Keep it simple and let the fireplace be the focal point.

Annabel Kirwan agradeció a flopsycat1
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 7 años
    In looking at your furnishings in this room, you have more modern look. (Sofa, Drapes). That leads me to painting brick for a more modern look, including rethinking the design of the mantel. Recognize, when you put anything on that brick, it is there to some degree forever. It is porous so it soaks up material. Perhaps the product(s) mentioned by a source earlier might mediate this problem. But make it fit your style and do what you can with resale in mind if that is a factor for you. Check around in Houzz for pictures of all white walls and see how you react. Start a "idea book" and save looks you like. Let it sit for a bit, then go back and see what you are drawn to again. Follow those feelings!
    Annabel Kirwan agradeció a Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Angelica Angeli ❤ Interior Design Journalist
    hace 7 años

Here are some images to help with your dilemma:

It's All In The Details · Más información

Riverdale Living Room · Más información

Annabel Kirwan agradeció a Angelica Angeli ❤ Interior Design Journalist
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 7 años

Manhattan Beach · Más información

Chastain Park · Más información
    As you can tell, there are differing views on painting brick. I generally lean toward keeping natural, original looks. However, in your case, I think I would bend a bit towards painting, or doing the German Schmear on your brick. I like many of the ideas shared here, and these two photos show some examples of the painted brick white look with fairly modern flairs. So, I think you have to decide which "style" you want to emphasize in your space. A more modern look, or a more "mixed style". Either one can be made very beautiful. Also notice the "beefier mantel" in the bottom picture. You don't need the TV over the fireplace mantel but I think this is a great look. I also very much agree with "editing" the picture frames out of your bookcases and hearth, etc. It confuses the eye from the focal point which is the fireplace. Another possibility is to paint in the darker greys like your sofa? this would break up the "white" effect, however, for the more modern look, I would prefer the all white look. You can bring in some greys into the bookcases to tie that color in. With a nice mantel, you can also bring in some interest with art work or sculpture whatever pleases you above mantel. Having said all of that, if that fireplace is prone to backing up smoke--all bets are off. Keep the brick. That can at least be cleaned. Cleaning black soot off white paint would be a bear. That is my only caution. Of course, research the painting if you go that route. Not simple, and getting the brick cleaned properly before painting is a must. Good luck! Keep us posted on your ultimate decision. I would clean out the bookcases and all the heart pieces first, so you can get a good clean view of things. Might help make your decision.

Annabel Kirwan agradeció a Flo Mangan
  • mkse
    hace 7 años
    I would remove the mantel and hire a carpenter to expand your bookcase on the left to make it symmetrical. You could also DIY some creamy tiles or stacked stone right over the top of the brick, or hire someone to do it.
    Annabel Kirwan agradeció a mkse
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 7 años
    As I look at the shelving units, there are cabinets below that would also be affected by changing cabs and shelves on left. IMO not worth cost. Use the left side of fireplace for nice tall vase or sculpture to divert eye from this issue. It would actually aid in moving overall look from traditional to more modern look.
  • sue profeta
    hace 7 años

STOP!! Don't paint until you declutter your shelves and get a mantel that is more natural a little bigger. You can't take back paint once you've painted... Then step back and take a look at it. Decide what your style of the WHOLE room is. Look at a lot of pictures of fireplaces painted and not. With mantels that are different styles. It will balance out everything visually. It really changes the look. I love your book cases on the sides. You have a lot of options. Once you paint you loose contrast of natural color and texture. You will know better when you look at pictures. Good Luck!! I think you will know when you see it...

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    hace 7 años

Modern Day Accents Modern Rama Twigs Silver Barrel XL Floor Vase 3597 · Más información
    If you do decide to go white on the brick and more "modern" look, this is the kind of piece that might look smashing on the left side of fireplace to bring balance to the space and some reflective nature. I think we all agree, you need to decide on your "style" before you do anything. Taking everything away from the shelves is that first step to "clearing" your minds about what to do. Loads of "advice" here, but in the final analysis, is about what you and your family think they would love to "live" with. We can only provide "guidance", techniques, tips and ideas.

• Annabel Kirwan
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Trying hard with the decluttering folks I promise. :) :). Need to add a couple good books from our library.
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 7 años

They're improving!

• Nick M
    hace 7 años

I would leave the brick! Gives the home a cool look with the white cabinets and fireplace

• Nicole P
    hace 7 años

I love the natural brick!!

• nmp19
    hace 7 años
    Everyone has an opinion but that's what you asked for! Take several photos before you begin. If possible, white out the brick in a photo. See if you like it before you paint. It appears that you have several options. You seem to feel that you have gone "as far as you can go." 1- Declutter your shelves and hearth FIRST. Take a photo. 2- Lower the mantel to an appropriate height. Take a photo 3- instead of painting-continue with those two white boards above to the new mantel height. 4- whitewash it Take a photo. 5. If you still think it needs more paint it a solid white. My preference- #1 & #2. Live with those changes for awhile. Less is sometimes enough. Take your time. Be patient with yourself. I have worked with several home preservationists and Chicago brick is a bonus for most of us.
  • Kelsey Harr
    hace 7 años

I love the idea of keeping the bricks the original color. It adds a raw element to the design.

• PRO
    Coats Homes
    hace 7 años

We recommend painting the brick! It will help eliminate some busyness in the room and help the space feel more cohesive.

• connie912
    hace 7 años
    Are your bookcase shelves adjustable? If so, try removing one shelf and reposition the others so that you have wider spaces between. Use no small items at all, only larger pieces will make a statement!
  • greenyogini
    hace 7 años

Thanks for starting this thread! My brick fireplace is a lot like yours in style, and I'm debating the same thing. I want to preserve some of the brick, so I had planned to build a surround around a portion below the mantle, with a bit of brick peeking out. I don't have built-ins on the sides, but planned to add those.

What I like for your space is to keep the natural brick, but to lower the mantle and add white paneling above the mantle, as some others suggested. That way you keep the warm brick but draw the eye upward with a blank canvas where you can place family photos or art. :)

• PRO
    General Masonry Construction Inc.
    hace 7 años

Of course that would be nice out come! First solid power washing which is a must, followed by light color paint over the nice and solid brick.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.