Houzz Logo Print
mblairocean

Grout or No Grout

Mike
hace 7 años

I am thinking of NOT grouting this stone backsplash. Any thoughts? I will seal it, but don't see the need for grout, would look more natural?

Comentarios (13)

• PRO
    Jessy Krol Designs LLC
    hace 7 años

agree with bsgibbs

Mike agradeció a Jessy Krol Designs LLC
  • drbarb03
    hace 7 años
    I don't think it's intended to have grout, from what I see in the photo. For future reference (or others reading this), both of our backsplash stone products needed to be sealed and it is much easier to do that outside before installing them than after they are on the wall.
    Mike agradeció a drbarb03
  • Mike
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thanks to all, saves me a couple of hours and a mess

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 7 años

The mess has not begun if this is your backsplash in a kitchen wait until a pot of spahetti sauce boils over and splashes on there this is a very poor choice for backspalsh and definately needs to sealed

• PRO
    Neighborhood Building & Remodeling Co.
    hace 7 años

I agree with Patricia, it needs to be sealed for sure. Grouting would be a mess, but beneficial.

Mike agradeció a Neighborhood Building & Remodeling Co.
  • User
    hace 7 años

Use the fact that there is no grout to re-evaluate your choice. The 4" splash plus the dizzying tile and busy granite is overwhelming.

• acm
    hace 7 años

I think we're past the point of picking finishes, guys -- be nice.

Agree no grout and yes sealer. Whoever sold you the tile should have given you some guidance on what they recommend, in case you want added reassurance.

I have had plenty of pots boil over, but never has a one of them sent more than a fleck toward my back wall. I sort of envy you volcanic types. ;)

Mike agradeció a acm
  • Rusty Empire
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

The point of this forum is feedback - so when a Houzzer responds with their advice it may not be what the homeowner prefers to hear - so deal with it. Get "nice" from Mom. This is a design forum not Sunday school. Nothing in these responses was personal but purely honest, to-the-point feedback - and is well intentioned.

• janecalle
    hace 7 años

The question to which the poster requested advice on referred to grout. I believe the purpose of this forum is to provide feedback to a poster who requests advice regarding something specific. Comments outside of the advice solicited, especially when they are so negative, have no place here. My opinion. With regard to the grout, agree with others - not intended for grout. We have a split face backsplash and love it. Never had a cleaning issue. Enjoy!

Mike agradeció a janecalle
  • User
    hace 7 años

Nice splashback - if you installed it yourself (which you seem to have done) you should be very proud of yourself as it looks very nice. Don't grout, just seal it well. I'm sure you will love it.

Mike agradeció a User
  • Jan
    hace 7 años

While I don't have the same backsplash, I do have a stonelike subway tile. It is easy to clean. Just spray with a cleaner and use a terry towel and wipe in one direction. My sister has that same type of backsplash and has not problems with it. She installed it herself so the no grout part was great for her.

Mike agradeció a Jan
  • PRO
    Tile Plus, Inc.
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

I'm going to play the devil's advocate and say, "Grout it"! Haha

One advantage in grouting would be to fill the joints thereby preventing dust and debris from finding their way in.

Another advantage would be in choosing a light gray grout, you would add a bit more color. The light and dark contrast could match your granite countertops.

Finally, grouting doesn't have to be hard. Just mix your grout a bit thicker than chowder, like say a paste, and let it sit for a few minutes before wiping it up. You will have to be diligent in wiping it up to ensure you don't leave chunks behind, but it can look nice!

Regards,

Tile Plus

Mike agradeció a Tile Plus, Inc.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.