rebeccaann999

Please help me pick a stain color for my red oak floor.

rebeccaann999
hace 7 años
última modificación:hace 7 años

Our fridge leaked and resulted in the need to sand our red oak floors. They were natural. We have golden oak trim and cabinets and prefer not to paint them (the trim I would do if I HAD to). We have some separation in the boards which we were advised to fill and then stain a darker color so that they are less noticeable. I am terrified. I hired a designer who chose a mid tone coffee color. Is this too dark? I really prefer a lighter look. My furniture is brown, my table and bar chairs are espresso. My granite is a white blend. The wood floor covers the kitchen, eat in, foyer, office and back hall. Our staircase is golden oak too. Here are some pictures of it sanded bare. Please help!

Comentarios (8)

• PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    hace 7 años
    This is impossible for us to help with over the Internet. Have your flooring finisher lay down samples of the chosen color, a few similar colors, and just clear Poly. YOU have to decide what you like. You can post photos of the samples on here but we can't see the true color.
  • PRO
    Martin painting
    hace 7 años

he is right, cant see true color, i suggest if not the floor guy ask your Sherwin Williams dealer to do the same.

• PRO
    Woodwerks
    hace 7 años

I would not go dark. I would be afraid of a dark floor pulling too much light out of your kitchen and making it feel gloomy. Based on what you have said, I would use Dura Seal stain and mix 4 parts of Neutral stain to 1 part Nutmeg stain and you would love it. That color is close to natural but has enough color to bring the grain out and it will go well with your cabinets.

• rebeccaann999
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thanks for the input. Here are the samples done by the flooring team. The color sample picked by the designer is on top of the bottom sample. The sample is Bruce flooring Tawny Oak Scrape. I feel like I'm currently being swallowed in a sea of orange with the cabinets, trim and floor being similar colors and there is the issue of disguising the cracks. The bottom picture with the chairs shows the natural floor with just poly (the way it's been since 2001). They are using Duraseal stain. The chosen color is fruitwood, coffee and ebony I believe. I go from excited to terrified and back again.

• creatureofchaos
    hace 7 años

I don't like the very dark color with your cabinets. I think it looks mismatched rather than deliberately coordinated. I like the top right color so much more. But it's VERY hard to judge that from pictures on a computer screen. If those were my floors, I'd ask for a BIG patch test before committing.

rebeccaann999 agradeció a creatureofchaos
  • Dulce Kontak
    hace 5 años

I have red oak floors and decided to just do a oil based clear semi gloss finish and not a stain. (See gloss attached).

They came out beautifully.

• Steph Doyle
    hace 5 años

dulce can I please see a pic of your floors with the clear finish?

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.