Houzz Logo Print
evang83

Am I seeing things?? Tile sample doesn't match what's installed.

evang83
hace 7 años
última modificación:hace 7 años

The color of my tile sample seems completely off to me. When they installed it, I immediately thought it didn't look how I recalled. Well today I took the sample to where we are building, along with some discarded peices back to check, and they are off to me.

My my question is, one does anyone else see it? And two, is this a common thing for the dye to be off?

The tile name (Siena gray) on the box matches the name of what I ordered, but perhaps they boxed the wrong color.... But the matching name makes it harder to prove if it is indeed an error.

I'm heading to the tile store in the morning, but thought I would ask here beforehand for any suggestions or tips for how to approach the builder. Thanks in advance!

My sample in the first photo is on the right.

Sample on top

Sample in middle, all other tiles are discards from the new build.

Comentarios (352)

• AllAmericanAmy
    hace 7 años

My vote is for the gray grout. In my opinion it minimizes the title color.

• Ramona
    hace 7 años

Ideas for Others here at Houzz · Más información
    oyster grey looks better than that dead grey, I think

no white

evang83 agradeció a Ramona
  • evang83
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

I agree with the no white, that's what my husband is leaning towards. I love the white with the floor tile, maybe I could only do the gray on the shower and white for the floor (I know it's a high traffic area and lots of people disagree with that though)

anxious for Monday to get some outside help. This has been quite the debacle to say the least and we are still looking into how far we are going to go with it to get it changed. In the meantime I'm mulling over all my options.

• printesa
    hace 7 años

it's ok if it's a high traffic,,,just use the sealed grout such as Mapei or Laticrete,,,it will save you a lot of headaches

• jerriekatz
    hace 7 años

I like the grey. White will be a distraction and make it more busy. Do you mind telling who the builder is and location and if they have a web site. Have you closed escrow? Most developers like this take a deposit and you don't close until they get a final inspection. You may have more power than u think. I am very surprised at the builders stance. Bad business especially for how much you are spending. To me it is clear the tile manufacture sent you the wrong color in the right box. Your builder should be talking to the manufacture to correct the error. The staff at the tile store acknowledged it and it appears the contractor noticed it also by shaking his head. Bad word of mouth travels ten times faster than good. You might want to take u r contract and consult with an attorney. They could write a letter for you and help negotiate something much better. The best of luck to you. Please keep us all updated

evang83 agradeció a jerriekatz
  • evang83
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Jerrykatz, we have not closed. I'm not going to share his name here. We have contacted the tile manufacturer Delconcausa tile and were told there should not be a drastic difference. I sent them photos Friday and they have not yet responded. I appreciate your input and well wishes.
  • leelee
    hace 7 años

This is natural stone, right? You are going to see variations of that much and more. If it is manufactured stone you might see a little color change just like with fabric. That's why they tell you to order enough to complete a job and then some extra because the next dye lot might not match exactly.

• evang83
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

It's manufactured. Every other dye lot in the store is close in color to one another. Our tiles from our dye lot B50 appears to be the only one that has a noticeable variance. B54 is closer to A50 and A54 if not identical, then B50 is.

• leelee
    hace 7 años

I just re-did my master bath. I chose the same stone but in either 12" squares or 3 x 6 subs or 4 x 4 squares on shower floor but the variation is huge. It goes from light creamy to dark gray to a white gray on shower floor. I do understand your frustration but when the project is complete you won't notice those tiny imperfections. The overall look and the fact that it's finally finished will be what you see. : )

• leelee
    hace 7 años

One other idea on the grout--look for a taupe color--not gray-- just for comparison.

• evang83
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

The response from Del Conca USA, for those keeping up...
    "After review of the pictures it is clear that both of the tiles are Siena
    gray however they are from different dye lots. A shade 50 will be
    lighter than a shade 54. The lower the number the lighter the shade.
    However both of these are within standards for Siena Gray. Please let me
    know if there is anything else we can help you with."

My sample is A54, what was installed is B50.

• zgirl18
    hace 7 años
    The manufacturer should send a rep, as we have seen from all the comments everyone's screen shows it different. How can they give an absolute response, especially when you say they point of purchase agrees with you. Get the stores rep to come.

At this point my main focus would be on the master bath

Regarding the grout color samples -
    oyster is not grey it leans towards beige / taupe
    The grey grout looks too grey for the tile
    So that backs up the color difference of the tile
    You probably would choose a silver grey or moonlight if the tile was the right shade

Regarding acceptance after installation - if an electrician doesn't attach the wires to an outlet do you have to accept it and pay for it to be fixed because you weren't there? If the drywall is bowed, do you have to accept it because you weren't there. Ridiculous point that she needs to accept the tile because she wasn't there.

Make sure you do a thorough walk through & list everything. Look at the details.
    Good luck
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    hace 7 años

This is PORCELAIN tile. It should have been ordered as "must come from same dye lot" That said, even within a dye lot there will be a range.

It wasn't ordered that way. Grout will NOT fix the shade differences, and that is that, because they are as different as completely different tiles...

Fix it before grout, with new tile in the most important bath, and move on. Once it is grouted, you're done.

As states below.......within standards.

"After review of the pictures it is clear that both of the tiles are Siena gray however they are from different dye lots. A shade 50 will be lighter than a shade 54. The lower the number the lighter the shade. However both of these are within standards for Siena Gray. Please let me know if there is anything else we can help you with."

They aren't going to help you except with a NEW order.

• Peter Barnard
    hace 7 años
    Check to see what batch the tile is from. Different batches of tile or stone will have natural variations in tone, texture and color. The only way to check for consistency is to make sure they are from the same production batch.
  • evang83
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Jan, I'm not under the impression grout will fix it. I was discussing what grout will work with it, not what will fix it.

I am working through the issue, I'm just posting updates as I go. I understand the tile company has said its within normal variation limits however; I saw several dye lots in the tile store and they all go together in color, the variation is not obvious, with the exception of the tile I received. Even a sample of B54 matches a A50 and A54, while the product I received is tan.
  • User
    hace 7 años

Somebody did something.

• clubnev
    hace 7 años

Got to love how these tile manufacturers make excuses. Same thing happened to me initially.

• Joy
    hace 7 años
    Evang83, I have been following this post since the beginning, and what you just said points out the heart of the problem. Is there anyway a tile representative from the company (not the store) can come to your house and see the actual variation on the wall, that all the tiles are in the beige family and not the gray? I think that is the only way around this. I do think you got a mis-marked box of tile. I would talk to your store and have them set up an appt. Go to the source of the problem.
  • Joy
    hace 7 años
    I would accept what the tile rep. tells you and move forward. If the tile rep. thinks you got the wrong tile, I would step up to the plate and take partial responsibility. You should have been there to inspect the product, would have stopped a huge headache. My heart goes out to you, have been in your shoes. It is not fun, and really in perspective, just a small bubble along the road of life.
  • User
    hace 7 años

Who manufactured it, OP?

You may have said further upthread, but I don't see it...

I would like to know as I have three bathrooms to do myself and I don't want to bother with anyone with poor quality control, possibly bad packaging, and bad customer service...

It's not worth my time.

Thanks. I appreciate it.

• Ramona
    hace 7 años

I don't think you should accept this. If you have time to fight this, do so.

I have no idea what this cost, but you have 3+ rooms to correct.

If this happens a lot, we need to stop it happening.

this isn't just color variation

• evang83
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    DelConca USA is the tile manufacturer.
  • Ellie RK
    hace 7 años

Still following.

Just not sure what I would do in this case. I guess it depends on cost, time and my own sanity.

• User
    hace 7 años

DelConca USA. Got it.

Thanks for the info evang83. (sorry, this site doesn't allow pm's to my knowledge..)

I hope they resolve this to your satisfaction...

• tresmamma
    hace 7 años

I am sorry this happened to you. I just wanted to let you know that I totally understand your frustation and I would be beyond unhappy if that happened to me. I really hope this will be corrected and not costing you too much money. I feel you have been misled and under informed.

• carladr
    hace 7 años

It may not make you feel better, but please know that sharing your frustrating experience is going to help a lot of other "non-pros" navigate their own remodel/construction projects. Good luck to you - I hope you get a satisfactory outcome.

evang83 agradeció a carladr
  • evang83
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Update...still waiting to hear from Del Conca USA. The discussion with the customer service rep was finally passed on to a manger and I have yet to hear from the manager. Was told he was in Italy last week.

In in the meantime, I hired a designer for an hour of her time to get her input. She suggested instead of ripping out the whole shower, take the floor tile up the front of the shower, thus softening the visual clash a bit and the tile that's supposed to be gray will fade more into the background. I personally think that's a great solution, albeit not perfect, it's better then what we have now. The builder agreed to do that, at no cost to us.

Also, checked out the guest bath tile today, and it only irritated me more :( the bullnose doesn't match the rest of the shower. Del Conca needs to at least send a rep out. Even if they deem nothing to be wrong, their customer service sucks right now and I would not recommend using them.

So there's an update for those who have graciously offered advice and have been following along this crazy tile debacle :)

• evang83
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Solution that's not perfect but much better. Still waiting to hear from Del Conca USA, I've sent numerous emails and no one has gotten in touch with me to follow up.

• evang83
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Final bathroom pic after all that mess. Moral of the story don't use Del Conca USA and check your dye lots for those in the DIY world! Order a specific dye lot if you can. And I went with the white grout despite suggestions not to...thought I'd live on the edge ;)

• User
    hace 7 años

5.27 mins.

• User
    hace 7 años

Thanks for the update. I hope you like it.

I will not be ordering from DEL CONCA USA for any of our three bathrooms. I listen to reviews and it's just not worth it to me...

• Joy
    hace 7 años
    Evang83, through this whole ordeal I have kept my fingers crossed for you. The designer's solution of running the floor tile up the outside shower wall was brilliant. Your space is beautiful. I hope you can shake off your frustration and really enjoy your bathroom that looks very functional and eye pleasing.
    evang83 agradeció a Joy
  • wantsideas
    hace 7 años

evang83. Looks very nice. The designer had a good alternative suggestion. Thanks for the update.

evang83 agradeció a wantsideas
  • mmchave29
    hace 5 años
    I had the same issue! But was told it was the dye lot! Apparently the store failed to tell me there was a variation on the color because of two different dye lots. I was supposed to check the boxes, despite the fact that the store admitted not telling me about this. Now I have to get an inspector so it can be determined if it was the store or the installers fault. In the mean time I have mismatch tile in my breakfast and kitchen.
  • PRO
    Cinar Interiors, Inc.
    hace 5 años

@mmchave29 - Why do you need an inspector to determine who's fault it was? I've never heard of such a thing with tile dye lots.
    There's issues with most sales associates not knowing about their products.
    There's issues with consumers not asking enough questions or knowing what questions to ask.
    There's issues during installation when the installers do not grab from many boxes and instead install one box at a time.

My opinion, the installer should have caught this mistake during installation.

• lindler
    hace 5 años

It looks a lot better replacing the front, but I understand it is not what you wanted. I know you will know when you use your bathroom, but hopefully over time, it will fade from your eye. Thank you for posting this, as I learned a lot from what you went through (sorry you had to go through it).

• shirlpp
    hace 5 años

Dye lots are a big deal when buying a lot of things(tile, granite, fabric, etc...). I'd put a rug under that table and move on. Inspectors are busy and you'd want one to come and access....guess what...you will have done everything else that you need in your home by then. I'd move on to bigger issues. The tile does not look that bad.

• lakomydenise
    hace 5 años
    Going through the same problem now(sample on left). tiles we received were just installed(middle). I wanted as close to a solid color as possible to compliment the graining of the other tile we chose and we received a blotchy mess.
  • Tiffany P
    hace 4 años

@lakomydenise what did you end up doing? I am in the same situation. I am working with a decorator and we did not look at a box to see the color patterns. This is what I thought we were getting and see pic for what was installed yesterday when I was out of town. I got home and knew it wasn’t right. It is AWFUL. I am probably going to pay the money to rip it out. I am spending about $100k on my kitchen remodel and I am not screwing it up with awful floors I will hate forever. This is a hot mess. I thought there was no movement at all but there are lines and marks and dark clouds!!

• Navine Aesy
    hace 2 meses

I’m dealing with this now. Half the tile has been installed and it looks completely different than the sample I chose. It hasn’t been grouted yet. I don’t know what to do and the store said it’s a special order so no refunds but will take back the unused boxes. Installer wants to charge another 5k to remove and replace after already charging 14k. The installed tile looks very blotchy and grey. I’m so stressed and don’t know what to do.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    hace 2 meses

All porcelain tiles as you show,, will have a RANGE.

Before any tile order of consequence? You order a few boxes and open it and lay it out. You can never see the range, from a single tile sample.

I suggest you start your own thread, This is five years old, and may not even get a glance.

• shirlpp
    hace 2 meses

Uggghhh!!

What room is this? How much is installed? Do all of the boxes look like what's installed?

• clubnev
    hace 2 meses

Whenever I see a sample I like, I ask the vendor how old the sample is. After 4 remodels, I’ve found samples are unreliable most of the time, especially if they are samples from a year or older. I can understand a little variance. But complete different colors is unacceptable. I am not a pro but this is an industry/quality control

problem.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    hace 2 meses

It's not clear to me which is the sample and which is the installed tile.

In the first photo, the installed tile looks more beige than the one on top, which looks like the sample. In the second, the installed tile looks grey and just like the sample in the first photo. All three tiles look blotchy. So where exactly is the problem?

• Navine Aesy
    hace 2 meses

I had received 2 different samples from 2 different stores and I liked them both. We put them next to each other and it was good to go. I chose the tile store that gave us the contractor price. After the installer put down about 8-9 tiles I noticed it wasn’t looking right but was told no refunds due to special order. After it was half way down I couldn’t stand looking at it as my house is very warm tone and the tile I received is very cool. When I contacted the store and sent pictures they said they would return the unopened boxes. We are installing 1k square feet and now I feel like if we keep it I have to repaint walls and change carpet.

• Navine Aesy
    hace 2 meses

Here’s the sample

• clubnev
    hace 2 meses

Yikes I agree, no excuse for that. A consumer shouldn't have to go through this. A little off-OK. That's a completely different color.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    hace 2 meses

To be fair, you ARE in two different palettes . Your beige warm walls work with NEITHER of the tiles. The blue island is fine, as are the gray walls, navy walls. It is appears you now have three floors? Hardwood, tile AND carpet? That wasn't the best decision.....multiple floors cut up a house.

To all who pass. Sample purchase AT LEAST a box on small tiles and large format? You will need more.

Avoid online purchase, and it you must?You will be exposed to risk.

A LOCAL TILE DEDICATED SHOP IS ALWAYS BEST.

Inspect on pick up ! Or give the sample to your contractor when he picks it up. That is the sample from your "test order" NOT the sample from the tile store.

• Navine Aesy
    hace 2 meses

Hi Jan,
    I’m not on here to argue, but we ripped up the hardwood and wanted to replace with tile. The only thing left is the carpet. The sample I chose had a warm tone to it to match everything around the house and the tile I received was ashy and blotchy. I’m asking if anyone has any ideas on what my next steps could be since the tile store said they will only take back the unopened boxes. Does the manufacturer have fault and what can I do about it? It literally looks like two different tiles.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    hace 2 meses

No you will not have recourse. For all the reasons I stated above. You have not clarified where you made the purchase, but it is 100% routine for a special order tile to be non refundable, it implies you chose a tile they do not routinely stock. That is why you do the test order of a small quantity: ) !! And inspect the arrival asap.

The store is taking back all the unopened boxes? Start over with a different tile and rip what you have installed. Or live with it and proceed: )

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.