Houzz Logo Print
tadwhite

Help part of our cedar siding is rotting

T Brown
hace 7 años

I can't replace all the cedar, I would have to go with vinyl, which I don't want to do. Any ideas?? It is a 2 story and the top front and side need replaced. What could I use that would look good with the cedar....

Comentarios (12)

• funny face
    hace 7 años

Can you post a photo of your house?

• Judy Mishkin
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

its as much replacing rotting wood as it is finding out why its rotting. and yes its not a tremendous job to replace individual clapboards or shingles, but getting to the bottom of the problem might be more pricey. one of the joys of home ownership.

• User
    hace 7 años

Yes, of course, the rotting would need to be determined. (I made an assumption that would be looked into before the r and r job). Good point though!

Our old house had rain, rain, and more rain--plus full southern exposure--hence the cracking boards. Not rot.

@T---When was the last time you checked your roof for leaks? I'm guessing that for siding to rot that it's getting lots of exposure to moisture coming from above and running down. Water takes the path of least resistance.

Siding wouldn't and shouldn't normally rot from ordinary rainfall. (Unless the siding was rotten from sitting in a lumber yard too long and some scoundrel tried to put it up anyway. And of course you are finding out about it now. It's been known to happen.)

• T Brown
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    • Here are pics. It is on the upper level and on the side where the fireplace is. We have lived here 32 years and pressured washes and stained @ 4 times. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
  • PRO
    Bingham Lumber, Inc
    hace 7 años

Although cedar siding does last much longer outside pine is much less expensive. If you are just replacing a few pieces here and there you may be able to make it blend with a little stain.

T Brown agradeció a Bingham Lumber, Inc
  • User
    hace 7 años

It's probably just old wood that has reached the end of its lifespan then at 32 years. That's a great life for cedar siding!!! You got a bonus of about 10 years.

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    hace 7 años

I'm seeing postings that say the "life span" of cedar (red cedar specifically) is 50 years...max. And that is with SPECIFIC high-end exterior grade PAINT...with VERY high solids. And this is the MAXIMUM time frame to expect out of cedar.

The higher the solid count, the more protective the paint. Stains are not as protective because they lack the high solid count. I would guess that, along with the stain being at the end of its life, with a lower level of protection, the cedar has simply run out of time and run out of protection.

Power washing has been known to cause more damage than it prevents...so there could be a whole mess of things at play here. But the bottom line is this: 32 year old cedar is coming VERY close to the end of life.

Whatever you choose to replace the "top" part with, make sure you are able to purchase the SAME THING in 8 years time when you need to do the REST of the home.

Remember that some man-made products (like vinyl) have a shelf life of (roughly) 2-3 years. So the item you choose today may NOT be available in 8 years when the other 50% of the home needs to receive new siding.

T Brown agradeció a Cancork Floor Inc.
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    hace 7 años

You can use cypress, but it has become hard to find (at least in our area) and it may be as much cost as cedar. Not sure of pricing anymore because it has not been available here for awhile.

• T Brown
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

What about vinyl shake????

• Judy Mishkin
    hace 7 años

if you only have the one part that is having issues i'd reside that part with cedar and not redo the whole house.

• User
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

At 32 years old, I would re-do the entire home. Trying to match new cedar boards to the old cedar colour is challenging. The wear patterns will also be noticeable.

Not only that, but if you start having any other issues after replacing only sections, you increase the risk of damaging the new boards you just replaced! Plus, at this stage of the game, it's a good idea to see what is actually going on underneath everywhere.

Hardiboard is great and can be purchased in ready-made colours or pre-primed so you can choose your own paint colours.

They also have concrete-shingles.

I have no idea about vinyl shake siding, personally.

Good-luck!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.